travel

  • Diane Perkins
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 8, 2006
      Can someone tell me if there is a direct flight from NYC to Kosice? What is the average travel time (incuding layovers) to Kosice? Number of miles?
      Thanks
      Diane

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
        I left from Chicago -- no directs from here -- we flew
        to Amsterdam then Vienna -- those flights were 8 hours
        and 2 hours with a 5 hour layover between.

        You might be able to get there faster from NYC, but
        check out the airlines webpages -- you can figure it
        all out over the internet.

        Caye

        --- Diane Perkins <nv_cracker@...> wrote:

        > Can someone tell me if there is a direct flight from
        > NYC to Kosice? What is the average travel time
        > (incuding layovers) to Kosice? Number of miles?
        > Thanks
        > Diane

        > removed]

        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        Access over 1 million songs.
        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
      • Linda Hartlaub
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
          Diane,

          Friends who fly there often (several times a year) say it's fastest to go to London, then Prague, then on to Kosice.

          Linda

          --

          Search for products and services at:
          http://search.mail.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
            Diane,

            Friends who fly there often (several times a year) say it's fastest to go to London, then Prague, then on to Kosice.

            Linda

          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
              The major travel search engines -- Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity --
              will find and book flights to Kosice. The airport code there is KSC.

              Additionally, if Poprad is someone's destination or closer to it,
              Czech Airlines used to drive their passenger(s) from Kosice to Poprad
              in a minivan for free, and there was a pickup point in Poprad for
              flights departing from Kosice. I don't know if this is still in
              effect, or if other airlines may have added this service.

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 10, 2006
                hi diane

                last year we had some of our people come jfk to vienna and then shuttle bus to bratislava for the sky europe flight to kosice. if you do it way in advance it cost only $30 total one way - sky europe is on line.

                helene

                Diane Perkins <nv_cracker@...> wrote: Can someone tell me if there is a direct flight from NYC to Kosice? What is the average travel time (incuding layovers) to Kosice? Number of miles?
                Thanks
                Diane

              • Plichta
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 10, 2006
                  You will receive more accurate and up to date information if you call the
                  airlines. Schedules change and the airlines will have the most recent
                  information.

                  Frank R. Plichta

                  Galax, Virginia

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 11, 2006
                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Diane Perkins <nv_cracker@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Can someone tell me if there is a direct flight from NYC to
                    Kosice? What is the average travel time (incuding layovers) to
                    Kosice? Number of miles?
                    > Thanks
                    > Diane
                    >

                    > ---------------------------------
                    > Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
                    rates.

                    There is no direct flight to Kosice from NYC.You can use Czech
                    airlines or Austria Airlines.
                    I think with czech airline is better connecting time

                    Outbound Flight
                    5:45pm Depart - New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) Czech Airlines
                    7:55am next day Arrive - Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) Nonstop
                    Flight time: 8 hrs 10 min
                    Connection Time: 1 hr 0 min
                    8:55am Depart - Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) Czech Airlines
                    10:00am Arrive - Kosice, Slovakia (KSC) Nonstop
                    Flight time: 1 hr 5 min
                    Total Travel Time: 10 hrs 15 min

                    Return Flight

                    10:40am Depart - Kosice, Slovakia (KSC) Czech Airlines
                    11:50am Arrive - Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) Nonstop
                    Flight time: 1 hr 10 min
                    Connection Time: 0 hrs 45 min
                    12:35pm Depart - Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) Czech Airlines
                    3:50pm Arrive - New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) Nonstop
                    Flight time: 9 hrs 15 min

                    Lowest fare: http://www.vislocky.net/airfare.html
                  • amiak27
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 11, 2006
                      Go to www.kayak.com and other airline infomration websites (Orbitz &
                      many more) and type in your possible dates, start and ending place.
                      The resulting listing will give you the hours of the different
                      flight combinations on the right side of the screen. From
                      Anchorage, Alaska, for example, about 22 hours is the best I can do
                      and 48 hours one way is so shocking I stopped looking down the
                      list! So you have some homework to do yourself ...

                      Ron

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "mjvisl" <mjvisl@...> wrote:

                      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Diane Perkins <nv_cracker@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Can someone tell me if there is a direct flight from NYC to
                      > Kosice? What is the average travel time (incuding layovers) to
                      > Kosice? Number of miles?
                      > > Thanks
                      > > Diane
                      > >

                      > > ---------------------------------
                      > > Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
                      > rates.
                      >
                      > There is no direct flight to Kosice from NYC.You can use Czech
                      > airlines or Austria Airlines.
                      > I think with czech airline is better connecting time
                      >
                      > Outbound Flight
                      > 5:45pm Depart - New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) Czech Airlines
                      > 7:55am next day Arrive - Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) Nonstop
                      > Flight time: 8 hrs 10 min
                      > Connection Time: 1 hr 0 min
                      > 8:55am Depart - Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) Czech Airlines
                      > 10:00am Arrive - Kosice, Slovakia (KSC) Nonstop
                      > Flight time: 1 hr 5 min
                      > Total Travel Time: 10 hrs 15 min
                      >
                      > Return Flight
                      >
                      > 10:40am Depart - Kosice, Slovakia (KSC) Czech Airlines
                      > 11:50am Arrive - Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) Nonstop
                      > Flight time: 1 hr 10 min
                      > Connection Time: 0 hrs 45 min
                      > 12:35pm Depart - Prague, Czech Republic (PRG) Czech Airlines
                      > 3:50pm Arrive - New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) Nonstop
                      > Flight time: 9 hrs 15 min
                      >
                      > Lowest fare: http://www.vislocky.net/airfare.html

                    • Murph
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
                        Hello all

                        My husband and I hope to visit Presov next spring. We are considering a stay in Bratislava for a few days as well. I am seeking advice on the best flights options we may have for this trip. We would be leaving from either the NYC or DC area. I don't think there are direct flight, so which city is the best to pass through (i.e. london, frankfurt, vienna, etc) What is the bestway to travel between Bratislava & Presov (I believe the airport is actually in Koscise).
                        Also, while in Presov we plan to visit Brezovica nad Torysa which is my families ancestral village. What other suggestions might the members have for places or sites to visit.
                        Thanks
                        Marilyn
                      • byza7@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
                          Marilyn,

                          A few yrs ago we visited my grandparents village (Slovinky) in Eastern
                          Slovak Republic. Note that Slovinky is in the mountains shortly West of
                          Presov and Kosice.

                          We had to fly into Kosice airport and stayed in a Kosice hotel and then
                          drove to the village with our interpreter from Presov. From what I
                          understand there is no airport in Presov.

                          From what I understand there is train service from Bratislava in the West
                          to the Presov/Kosice in the East but I could be wrong.

                          Your visit to those village will be worth every bit of effort.

                          David Novak

                          In a message dated 10/4/2009 1:45:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          mjmurph99@... writes:

                          Hello all

                          My husband and I hope to visit Presov next spring. We are considering a
                          stay in Bratislava for a few days as well. I am seeking advice on the best
                          flights options we may have for this trip. We would be leaving from either
                          the NYC or DC area. I don't think there are direct flight, so which city is
                          the best to pass through (i.e. london, frankfurt, vienna, etc) What is the
                          bestway to travel between Bratislava & Presov (I believe the airport is
                          actually in Koscise).
                          Also, while in Presov we plan to visit Brezovica nad Torysa which is my
                          families ancestral village. What other suggestions might the members have for
                          places or sites to visit.
                          Thanks
                          Marilyn

                          _Messages in this topic _
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/message/17068;_ylc=X3oDMTM2NWNxcnVrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZA
                          MxNzA1MTAzNTYyBG1zZ0lkAzI3Mzk3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg
                          R0cGNJZAMxNzA2OA--) (10) _Reply (via web post) _
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxNWhlYW1hBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4
                          MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBG1zZ0lkAzI3Mzk3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUD
                          MTI1NDY3ODMzMg--?act=reply&messageNum=27397) | _Start a new topic _
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZnE5cDZ2BF9TAzk3MzU5N
                          zE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3Rpb
                          WUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg--)
                          _Messages_
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlN3UxcG40BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwN
                          mdHIEc2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg--) | _Files_
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdW05NzZuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdy
                          cElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2ZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2Nz
                          gzMzI-) | _Photos_
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZ3E5cHR1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTY
                          yBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Bob3QEc3RpbWUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg--) | _Links_
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcmhoMWMyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BG
                          dycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2xpbmtzBHN0aW1lAz
                          EyNTQ2NzgzMzI-) | _Database_
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJjODE5MXVmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAM
                          xNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-) | _Polls_
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJmazhwZmdkBF9TAzk3Mz
                          U5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3BvbGxzBH
                          N0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-) | _Members_
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZTFlN2xuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc
                          3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21icnMEc3RpbWUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg--) |
                          _Calendar_
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJka3Z0YWMyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdH
                          IEc2xrA2NhbARzdGltZQMxMjU0Njc4MzMy)

                          )
                          _Change settings via the Web_
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbWJldW9wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA
                          1MTAzNTYyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-) (Yahoo! ID
                          required)
                          Change settings via email: _Switch delivery to Daily Digest_
                          (mailto:Slovak-World-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest) | _Switch
                          format to Traditional_
                          (mailto:Slovak-World-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional)
                          _Visit Your Group _
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcjIwdHEyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYw
                          NmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjU0Njc4MzMy) | _Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use _
                          (http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) | _Unsubscribe _

                          Recent Activity
                          * 2
                          _New Members_
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMDM4aGxnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNl
                          YwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-)

                          _Visit Your Group _
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World;_ylc=X3oDMTJlanJsdXVnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzkyNTE4MTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTAzNTYyBHNlYw
                          N2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTI1NDY3ODMzMg--)

                          Give Back
                          _Yahoo! for Good_
                          (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJtYmFmMGR1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3JwSWQDOTI1MTgxOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMDM1NjIEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawN
                          icmFuZARzdGltZQMxMjU0Njc4MzMy;_ylg=1/SIG=11314uv3k/**http://brand.yahoo.com/
                          forgood)
                          Get inspired
                          by a good cause.

                          Y! Toolbar
                          _Get it Free!_
                          (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJvdWNqbThqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSWQDOTI1MTgxOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMDM1NjIEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawN0b2
                          9sYmFyBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-;_ylg=1/SIG=11c6dvmk9/**http://toolbar.yahoo.c
                          om/?.cpdl=ygrps)
                          easy 1-click access
                          to your groups.

                          Yahoo! Groups
                          _Start a group_
                          (http://groups.yahoo.com/start;_ylc=X3oDMTJvcjNycWZmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzMEZ3JwSWQDOTI1MTgxOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMDM1NjIEc2VjA25jbW9kBHN
                          sawNncm91cHMyBHN0aW1lAzEyNTQ2NzgzMzI-)
                          in 3 easy steps.
                          Connect with others.

                          .

                        • Vladimir Linder
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
                            Best bet fly to frankfurt or London and then to Vienna.

                            Been to Brezovica nad Torysou this summer. Quite nice village and
                            great church. Some strange people though. I took some pictures of
                            some houses and the road was dead end. On my return I was kind of
                            flagged down by an elderly lady as to why I took picture of her
                            house. I was just taking pictures of houses, church etc. Just for
                            fun. Well and I left. After my return to Canada my car rental company
                            emailed me telling me that police is looking for me and they like to
                            know where I was at 4 PM on certain day. I knew exactly as it was
                            Friday before Levoca's pilgrimage. The story is that the lady has
                            reported me to the local police for taking picture of her house and
                            of course Slovak police has nothing better to do and they found from
                            the license plate who is the owner and from the rental company also
                            who rented the car on that day. Yes they did follow up on it. The
                            story they told rental company was that there are strange things
                            happening in the area and that people take pictures of houses and
                            market them without owner even knowing about it and making fake
                            sales. Very strange I may add.

                            Vladi

                          • bjgolias1@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
                              All,

                              What Vlad writes about is true. There are scammers out there trying to
                              make a quick buck on pretending to rent vacation homes in USA and other
                              countries. In the USA I've read they actually get the title transferred and it
                              is up to the original homeowner to prove he really owns the home. The
                              unsuspecting person rents or buys and shows up at the home. That is when they
                              figured out they've been had. These sales take place over the internet and
                              they post the outside pictures of the homes and they post fake pictures of
                              the insides of the homes.

                              Barb

                            • marilyn murphy
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
                                good to know, but we will be in the village with family from Presov who also farm in Brezovica so I do not anticipate any issues

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 4, 2009
                                  > unsuspecting person rents or buys and shows up at the home.
                                  > That is when they figured out they've been had.

                                  In 1931 such a Czech impresario managed to "sell" a castle to an American businessman:

                                  <http://tinyurl.com/ydvedau>

                                  Needless to say, the castle wasn't his. (He later became an informer for the Nazis.)

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 5, 2009
                                    very interesting.

                                    At 10:44 AM 10/4/2009, you wrote:

                                    >Hello all

                                    >My husband and I hope to visit Presov next spring. We are

                                    >considering a stay in Bratislava for a few days as well. I am

                                    >seeking advice on the best flights options we may have for this

                                    >trip. We would be leaving from either the NYC or DC area. I don't

                                    >think there are direct flight, so which city is the best to pass

                                    >through (i.e. london, frankfurt, vienna, etc) What is the bestway to

                                    >travel between Bratislava & Presov (I believe the airport is

                                    >actually in Koscise).

                                    >Also, while in Presov we plan to visit Brezovica nad Torysa which is

                                    >my families ancestral village. What other suggestions might the

                                    >members have for places or sites to visit.

                                    >Thanks

                                    >Marilyn

                                  • Caye Caswick
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 5, 2009

                                      Sounds as if they just tried to scare you -- as long as you don't owe a fine or have a court date you must return for, I'd say -- don't worry, but I love the story.

                                      Caye