Re: [Slovak-World] Re: A rare compliment for Slovakia.

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
      Yes, I was rather struck by that aspect of things too, Martin. I once tried to explain this to a gentleman in Budapest. Americans are as a whole extremely generous in private charities, we give billions in foreign aid, but in private life we usually limit ourselves to "token" gifts. It's an interesting cultural phenomenon. As I told the Hungarian gentleman, an American hesitates to give expensive presents because he does not like accepting them. It conflicts with our sense of independence and personal pride. We don't want to feel obligated to people by accepting an expensive gift or hospitality on a lavish scale. On the other hand some people are just cheap! And I agree there is no excuse for taking advantage of the Slovaks who are operating in a tradition of open-handed hospitality. I will try to find the article on the website and forward your comments to the author. It's time he wised up.

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
        I just took care of that, with my own two cents added. If others want to chime in it's at http://docstalk.blogspot.com/.
        I doubt the replies will be published but at least the guy has to read them and deal with it.

        I think you should post what you wrote on Doctor Don's
        bolg. He probably will not acknowledge it but he will
        have your thoughts.

        http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=21959449&postID=116215766312062813

        Dr. "Q"