Re: [Slovak-World] Re: A rare compliment for Slovakia.

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
      I think you should post what you wrote on Doctor Don's
      bolg. He probably will not acknowledge it but he will
      have your thoughts.

      http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=21959449&postID=116215766312062813

      Dr. "Q"

      --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

      > > From the American Thinker site.
      >
      > Thinker perhaps, but an ignominiously self-absorbed
      > one. Let me quote
      > what cornucopia of presents the wealthy
      > world-trotting American Ph.D.
      > brings his relatives in "By American [...] standards
      > an incredibly
      > poor community":
      >
      > "selected fruits, beer, chocolates and a few small
      > gifts for the children"
      >
      > Then, the Ph.D. and his company allow themselves to
      > be hosted by his
      > "incrediby poor relatives" and part with them taking
      > away the
      > following as gifts for themselves:
      >
      > "a gallon of fresh milk, two pounds of new cheese, 3
      > pounds of grapes
      > from their small vineyard, a dozen eggs and a small
      > box of chocolates"
      >
      > Thanks for sharing the story that, sad to say, I've
      > heard several
      > times before, Andrea.
      >

      > Martin
      >
      > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
        Yes, I was rather struck by that aspect of things too, Martin. I once tried to explain this to a gentleman in Budapest. Americans are as a whole extremely generous in private charities, we give billions in foreign aid, but in private life we usually limit ourselves to "token" gifts. It's an interesting cultural phenomenon. As I told the Hungarian gentleman, an American hesitates to give expensive presents because he does not like accepting them. It conflicts with our sense of independence and personal pride. We don't want to feel obligated to people by accepting an expensive gift or hospitality on a lavish scale. On the other hand some people are just cheap! And I agree there is no excuse for taking advantage of the Slovaks who are operating in a tradition of open-handed hospitality. I will try to find the article on the website and forward your comments to the author. It's time he wised up.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
          I just took care of that, with my own two cents added. If others want to chime in it's at http://docstalk.blogspot.com/.
          I doubt the replies will be published but at least the guy has to read them and deal with it.