Re: [Slovak-World] This Sunday 1 PM - SK festival at Pitt

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
      Can't make it this year -- rats! Would someone be so
      kind as to either scan or mail me a program? Contact
      me privately for my mailing address, and thanks!!!

      Caye

      --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

      > Here are the talks at the festival:
      >
      > 2:00 "Slovaks Settled Here: Identifying Early 20th
      > Century Immigrant
      > Cluster Communities in Pittsburgh," by Lisa Alzo. Rm
      > 242
      >
      > 3:00 "The Fujara - Queen of Slovak Instruments," by
      > Ben Sorensen. Rm 242
      >
      > 4:00 "Roma (Gypsy) Life and Music in Slovakia: Fact
      > & Fiction," Robert
      > Metil. Rm 242
      >

      > Martin
      >
      > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
        > mail me a program?

        Below is info about the program, Caye.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

        x x x

        Talks -
        2:00 "Slovaks Settled Here: Identifying Early 20th Century Immigrant
        Cluster Communities in Pittsburgh," by Lisa Alzo. Rm 242
        3:00 "The Fujara - Queen of Slovak Instruments," by Ben Sorensen. Rm 239
        4:00 "Roma (Gypsy) Life and Music in Slovakia: Fact & Fiction," Robert
        Metil. Rm 242

        Performances -
        1:15 PAS (pittsburgh Area Slovaks)
        1:45 Jerry Jumba & Andrei Pidkivka
        2:15 Ben Sorensen - Fujara
        2:45 Jozef Ivaska, Man of a 1000 Songs
        3:25 The Singing Revilak Family
        4:00 Pittsburgh Jr. Slovakians and Pittsburgh Slovakians
        4:30 Sing-along with all performers

        Film -
        3:30 "Pictures from the Old Country," by Susan Marcinkus. Rm 249

        Exhibits -
        Joe Armata - Slovak Weaving and Cut Embroidery
        Helene Cincebeaux - Slovak Folk Dress
        Lil Junas - her book on Slovakia
        Bill Kurtek - village of Lu'ck~y, Liptov County
        Nationality Rooms Program - Folk Dress
        Western Pennsylvania Slovak Cultural Association
        John Webber - The Origins of Your Name
        Western Pennsylvania Slovak Radio Program
        National Slovak Society

        Vendors -
        Ethnic food
        Slovak Import Company, LLC, Dan Kisha
        Little Europe
        Steve Hoferka - Slovak Phrase Book
        PAV - Slovak stereo casettes
        Slovak Folk Crafts
        Susan Marcinkus - "Pictures from the Old Coutnry"
        Lisa Alzo - "Three Slovak Women"
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
          Martin:

          I mean the booklet they have at the front table each
          year -- it lists all the local sponsors and gives
          detail on some of the exhibitors and speakers. Last
          year it was bright yellow, the year before it was a
          blue/grey color.

          Thanks!

          Caye

          --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

          > > mail me a program?
          >
          > Below is info about the program, Caye.
          >

          > Martin
          >
          > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          >
          > x x x
          >

          > Talks -
          > 2:00 "Slovaks Settled Here: Identifying Early 20th
          > Century Immigrant
          > Cluster Communities in Pittsburgh," by Lisa Alzo. Rm
          > 242
          > 3:00 "The Fujara - Queen of Slovak Instruments," by
          > Ben Sorensen. Rm 239
          > 4:00 "Roma (Gypsy) Life and Music in Slovakia: Fact
          > & Fiction," Robert
          > Metil. Rm 242
          >
          > Performances -
          > 1:15 PAS (pittsburgh Area Slovaks)
          > 1:45 Jerry Jumba & Andrei Pidkivka
          > 2:15 Ben Sorensen - Fujara
          > 2:45 Jozef Ivaska, Man of a 1000 Songs
          > 3:25 The Singing Revilak Family
          > 4:00 Pittsburgh Jr. Slovakians and Pittsburgh
          > Slovakians
          > 4:30 Sing-along with all performers
          >
          > Film -
          > 3:30 "Pictures from the Old Country," by Susan
          > Marcinkus. Rm 249
          >
          > Exhibits -
          > Joe Armata - Slovak Weaving and Cut Embroidery
          > Helene Cincebeaux - Slovak Folk Dress
          > Lil Junas - her book on Slovakia
          > Bill Kurtek - village of Lu'ck~y, Liptov County
          > Nationality Rooms Program - Folk Dress
          > Western Pennsylvania Slovak Cultural Association
          > John Webber - The Origins of Your Name
          > Western Pennsylvania Slovak Radio Program
          > National Slovak Society
          >
          > Vendors -
          > Ethnic food
          > Slovak Import Company, LLC, Dan Kisha
          > Little Europe
          > Steve Hoferka - Slovak Phrase Book
          > PAV - Slovak stereo casettes
          > Slovak Folk Crafts
          > Susan Marcinkus - "Pictures from the Old Coutnry"
          > Lisa Alzo - "Three Slovak Women"

          Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
          (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)
        • 75430.543@escapees.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
            Thank you for posting the themes and times for the talks at the Slovak
            Festival at the U of Pitt this Sunday, Martin.

            This has got to be the premier Slovak Festival in the area, especially when
            combined with the outstanding venue of the Cathedral of Learning.

            Nancy & I look forward to attending again this year.

            Regards,

            Florian