This Sunday 1 PM - SK festival at Pitt

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
      Here are the talks at the festival:

      2:00 "Slovaks Settled Here: Identifying Early 20th Century Immigrant
      Cluster Communities in Pittsburgh," by Lisa Alzo. Rm 242

      3:00 "The Fujara - Queen of Slovak Instruments," by Ben Sorensen. Rm 242

      4:00 "Roma (Gypsy) Life and Music in Slovakia: Fact & Fiction," Robert
      Metil. Rm 242

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
        Can't make it this year -- rats! Would someone be so
        kind as to either scan or mail me a program? Contact
        me privately for my mailing address, and thanks!!!

        Caye

        --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

        > Here are the talks at the festival:
        >
        > 2:00 "Slovaks Settled Here: Identifying Early 20th
        > Century Immigrant
        > Cluster Communities in Pittsburgh," by Lisa Alzo. Rm
        > 242
        >
        > 3:00 "The Fujara - Queen of Slovak Instruments," by
        > Ben Sorensen. Rm 242
        >
        > 4:00 "Roma (Gypsy) Life and Music in Slovakia: Fact
        > & Fiction," Robert
        > Metil. Rm 242
        >

        > Martin
        >
        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

        (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
          > mail me a program?

          Below is info about the program, Caye.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

          x x x

          Talks -
          2:00 "Slovaks Settled Here: Identifying Early 20th Century Immigrant
          Cluster Communities in Pittsburgh," by Lisa Alzo. Rm 242
          3:00 "The Fujara - Queen of Slovak Instruments," by Ben Sorensen. Rm 239
          4:00 "Roma (Gypsy) Life and Music in Slovakia: Fact & Fiction," Robert
          Metil. Rm 242

          Performances -
          1:15 PAS (pittsburgh Area Slovaks)
          1:45 Jerry Jumba & Andrei Pidkivka
          2:15 Ben Sorensen - Fujara
          2:45 Jozef Ivaska, Man of a 1000 Songs
          3:25 The Singing Revilak Family
          4:00 Pittsburgh Jr. Slovakians and Pittsburgh Slovakians
          4:30 Sing-along with all performers

          Film -
          3:30 "Pictures from the Old Country," by Susan Marcinkus. Rm 249

          Exhibits -
          Joe Armata - Slovak Weaving and Cut Embroidery
          Helene Cincebeaux - Slovak Folk Dress
          Lil Junas - her book on Slovakia
          Bill Kurtek - village of Lu'ck~y, Liptov County
          Nationality Rooms Program - Folk Dress
          Western Pennsylvania Slovak Cultural Association
          John Webber - The Origins of Your Name
          Western Pennsylvania Slovak Radio Program
          National Slovak Society

          Vendors -
          Ethnic food
          Slovak Import Company, LLC, Dan Kisha
          Little Europe
          Steve Hoferka - Slovak Phrase Book
          PAV - Slovak stereo casettes
          Slovak Folk Crafts
          Susan Marcinkus - "Pictures from the Old Coutnry"
          Lisa Alzo - "Three Slovak Women"
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
            Martin:

            I mean the booklet they have at the front table each
            year -- it lists all the local sponsors and gives
            detail on some of the exhibitors and speakers. Last
            year it was bright yellow, the year before it was a
            blue/grey color.

            Thanks!

            Caye

            --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

            > > mail me a program?
            >
            > Below is info about the program, Caye.
            >

            > Martin
            >
            > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            >
            > x x x
            >

            > Talks -
            > 2:00 "Slovaks Settled Here: Identifying Early 20th
            > Century Immigrant
            > Cluster Communities in Pittsburgh," by Lisa Alzo. Rm
            > 242
            > 3:00 "The Fujara - Queen of Slovak Instruments," by
            > Ben Sorensen. Rm 239
            > 4:00 "Roma (Gypsy) Life and Music in Slovakia: Fact
            > & Fiction," Robert
            > Metil. Rm 242
            >
            > Performances -
            > 1:15 PAS (pittsburgh Area Slovaks)
            > 1:45 Jerry Jumba & Andrei Pidkivka
            > 2:15 Ben Sorensen - Fujara
            > 2:45 Jozef Ivaska, Man of a 1000 Songs
            > 3:25 The Singing Revilak Family
            > 4:00 Pittsburgh Jr. Slovakians and Pittsburgh
            > Slovakians
            > 4:30 Sing-along with all performers
            >
            > Film -
            > 3:30 "Pictures from the Old Country," by Susan
            > Marcinkus. Rm 249
            >
            > Exhibits -
            > Joe Armata - Slovak Weaving and Cut Embroidery
            > Helene Cincebeaux - Slovak Folk Dress
            > Lil Junas - her book on Slovakia
            > Bill Kurtek - village of Lu'ck~y, Liptov County
            > Nationality Rooms Program - Folk Dress
            > Western Pennsylvania Slovak Cultural Association
            > John Webber - The Origins of Your Name
            > Western Pennsylvania Slovak Radio Program
            > National Slovak Society
            >
            > Vendors -
            > Ethnic food
            > Slovak Import Company, LLC, Dan Kisha
            > Little Europe
            > Steve Hoferka - Slovak Phrase Book
            > PAV - Slovak stereo casettes
            > Slovak Folk Crafts
            > Susan Marcinkus - "Pictures from the Old Coutnry"
            > Lisa Alzo - "Three Slovak Women"

            Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
            (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)
          • 75430.543@escapees.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
              Thank you for posting the themes and times for the talks at the Slovak
              Festival at the U of Pitt this Sunday, Martin.

              This has got to be the premier Slovak Festival in the area, especially when
              combined with the outstanding venue of the Cathedral of Learning.

              Nancy & I look forward to attending again this year.

              Regards,

              Florian