A rare compliment for Slovakia.

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 29, 2006
      From the American Thinker site.

      http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=5987

    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 30, 2006
        Andrea,
        Thanks for the article. Very upbeat and I enjoyed looking at other articles
        in the American Thinker.
        Noreen

        From the American Thinker site.

        http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=5987

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 30, 2006
          Hi all my hard cover book about st. James in Levoca has just been
          published in Levoca.

          Enjoying great fall weather in Liptovska Teplicka

          Vladi
        • krejc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 30, 2006
            In a message dated 10/30/06 5:45:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            vlinder49@... writes:

            > Enjoying great fall weather in Liptovska Teplicka
            >
            > Vladi

            Congratulations on the publication of your book! I wish that I was in
            Liptovska Teplicka. Please tell my grandfather's relatives in that beautiful
            village that I hope to meet them all someday. :O)
            have a good trip and safe travel.
            Noreen

          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
              > From the American Thinker site.

              Thinker perhaps, but an ignominiously self-absorbed one. Let me quote
              what cornucopia of presents the wealthy world-trotting American Ph.D.
              brings his relatives in "By American [...] standards an incredibly
              poor community":

              "selected fruits, beer, chocolates and a few small gifts for the children"

              Then, the Ph.D. and his company allow themselves to be hosted by his
              "incrediby poor relatives" and part with them taking away the
              following as gifts for themselves:

              "a gallon of fresh milk, two pounds of new cheese, 3 pounds of grapes
              from their small vineyard, a dozen eggs and a small box of chocolates"

              Thanks for sharing the story that, sad to say, I've heard several
              times before, Andrea.

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • Dr. Joe Q
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
                I think you should post what you wrote on Doctor Don's
                bolg. He probably will not acknowledge it but he will
                have your thoughts.

                http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=21959449&postID=116215766312062813

                Dr. "Q"

                --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

                > > From the American Thinker site.
                >
                > Thinker perhaps, but an ignominiously self-absorbed
                > one. Let me quote
                > what cornucopia of presents the wealthy
                > world-trotting American Ph.D.
                > brings his relatives in "By American [...] standards
                > an incredibly
                > poor community":
                >
                > "selected fruits, beer, chocolates and a few small
                > gifts for the children"
                >
                > Then, the Ph.D. and his company allow themselves to
                > be hosted by his
                > "incrediby poor relatives" and part with them taking
                > away the
                > following as gifts for themselves:
                >
                > "a gallon of fresh milk, two pounds of new cheese, 3
                > pounds of grapes
                > from their small vineyard, a dozen eggs and a small
                > box of chocolates"
                >
                > Thanks for sharing the story that, sad to say, I've
                > heard several
                > times before, Andrea.
                >

                > Martin
                >
                > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
                  Yes, I was rather struck by that aspect of things too, Martin. I once tried to explain this to a gentleman in Budapest. Americans are as a whole extremely generous in private charities, we give billions in foreign aid, but in private life we usually limit ourselves to "token" gifts. It's an interesting cultural phenomenon. As I told the Hungarian gentleman, an American hesitates to give expensive presents because he does not like accepting them. It conflicts with our sense of independence and personal pride. We don't want to feel obligated to people by accepting an expensive gift or hospitality on a lavish scale. On the other hand some people are just cheap! And I agree there is no excuse for taking advantage of the Slovaks who are operating in a tradition of open-handed hospitality. I will try to find the article on the website and forward your comments to the author. It's time he wised up.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
                    I just took care of that, with my own two cents added. If others want to chime in it's at http://docstalk.blogspot.com/.
                    I doubt the replies will be published but at least the guy has to read them and deal with it.