[Slovak-World] Re:Szelmenc (the divided town in Ukraine and Slovakia)

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2006
      It took a little digging, but I believe this is the village known today as Vel'ke Slemence. The Hungarian name is Nagyszelmenc. "Nagy-" means "big" or "great", and is the equivalent of the Slovak "Vel'ke".

      The village is first found in a written source in 1332. It belonged to several landowning families, including the Szelmenczy family in the 14th century. The residents of the village raised livestock and worked in the forests. In 1437, the village had 25 gates, in 1715 it had 13 households, and in 1828 it had 77 houses and 610 residents. Agriculture continued as a livelihood during the first Czechoslovak Republic. The village was part of Hungary 1938-44. It has a Greek Catholic church, built in the Classical style in 1822, and a Reformed church, built in the late-Classical style in 1868. In 1970 (the last date given in this Communist-era reference work), the population was 849.

      I hope this helps.

      >>> gsirko@... 10/27/06 3:34 AM >>>
      Does anyone know anything about this town and maybe have relatives there? I am searching for my Maternal Grandparents in Eastern Slovakia and came upon this website. I don't know the name of the village(s) that they emigrated from. Thank you in advance.
      George

      http://www.americanhungarianfederation.org/news_szelmenc.htm