It is Kalava SPIS near Kosice

  • Diane Perkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2006
      To All, my gm was born in April 1895 in Kalava which is without looking at a map somewhat north and west of Kosice. I don't have the ability to spell it as it looks on her passport, with all the diatric marks etc. But after having a query out on a Slovak genealogy site for about 2-3 years...I one day got a reply in Slovak. The only words I recognized were "infomancie" and he family name Veselenak. I wrote the sender and asked to reply in English if possible as I didn't speak or write Slovak and so it all began. The gentleman turned out to have been born and raised in the same small village as my grandmother and knew of her people. He went there as he often does to visit relatives and took picture after picture of the village and its people (some of them relatives). He even went so far as to fill in the family tree and sent proof from the archives in central Slovakia. We are now fast friends. We manage to communicate but not easily. I use a hand held travel
      dictionary and do my best to translate my thoughts to them. I am so afraid I am going to make a giant faux pax
      and lose this precious friendship. Until this man and his family so graciously shared family knowledge with us my 90+ year old mother never knew a thing about her family except for her parents names and the names of her grandparents. What a beautiful time she is having with this. Now at least her maternal lines are known. Our Slovak friend has even sent six hours worth of DVD's covering his daughter's wedding. We are thoroughly enjoying them.
      Diane