Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Mike Strank

  • Bruce L. Bauer
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 10, 2006

      A minor correction. Mike's birth was recorded in the civil village
      records. (The LDS church birth records for Jarabina end in 1908). I
      have a copy of his birth certificate. The original is with his sister.

      Bruce

      At 07:45 PM 10/10/2006, you wrote:
      > > I have validated all this with the Church records
      >
      >Thank you very much, Bruce. I didn't even imagine I could get such
      >perfect confirmation. I'm truly grateful.
    • vchromoho
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 10, 2006
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
        wrote:

        > > How many Slovaks were living in Jarabina in 1919? OK,
        > > for argument's sake let's make it 1921
        >
        > I agree completely, Rich. I wondered whether you might have them.
        > Even if the percentage were tilted towards the Slovaks in 1921, I'd
        > still think it prudent to check the 1931 census. If the
        percentage of
        > the Rusyns were significantly higher in 1931 than in 1921, it
        would,
        > of course, mean that the people had been there all along and only
        > declared Slovak ethnicity in 1921 due to a variety of possible
        > circumstances. And even if the majority declared Slovak ethnicity
        > both in 1921 and 1931, it would still be at least possible that
        their
        > dominant linguistic and cultural heritage may have been Rusyn but a
        > readiness to claim it in the census wasn't there.
        >
        > A motive for the inhabitants of north-west Spis to call themselves
        > Slovaks regardless of their ethnic heritage in 1921 would have been
        > the recent Polish-Czechoslovak border war. Some may have done so
        if
        > they believed that declaring Slovak identity would help them and
        their
        > village to be part of Czechoslovakia rather than Poland.
        >

        > Martin

        OK, I'm home and have access to them now. (For the record, I'm
        referring to Ladislav A. Potemra, "Ruthenians in Slovakia and the
        Greek Catholic Diocese of Presov", Slovak Studies I, Rome: Slovak
        Institute, 1961.)

        According to the 1921 Czechoslovak census, in Jarabina (pop. 1153)
        there were:

        84 Slovaks;
        1025 Rusyns;
        1 Hungarian;
        43 foreigners [of unstated ethnonational affiliation/background].

        By religion there were:

        75 Roman Catholics;
        1076 Greek Catholics;
        2 Protestants.

        So there were Slovaks in Jarabina, but evidently they were almost
        all Roman Catholics.

        The Strenks and the Grofiks, if church membership in the U.S. is any
        indication, were Greek Catholics. (There were other Strenks and
        other Grofiks just in Conemaugh who were members of the local Greek
        Catholic parish, not to mention others in nearby Johnstown and in
        New York City who were likewise Greek Catholics, or later, Orthodox.)

        So how likely is it that Vasil Strenk and Marta Grofikova Strenkova
        (Michael's parents) were Slovaks?
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
          > So how likely is it that Vasil Strenk and Marta Grofikova Strenkova
          > (Michael's parents) were Slovaks?

          Thank you for the evidence, Rich. When we're at it, I recall a
          mention that one of Robert Urich's parents was Rusyn and the other one
          Slovak. Do you know that that was the case and if so, do you know
          which one was which?

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • vchromoho
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
            wrote:

            > > So how likely is it that Vasil Strenk and Marta Grofikova
            Strenkova
            > > (Michael's parents) were Slovaks?
            >
            > Thank you for the evidence, Rich. When we're at it, I recall a
            > mention that one of Robert Urich's parents was Rusyn and the other
            one
            > Slovak. Do you know that that was the case and if so, do you know
            > which one was which?
            >

            > Martin
            >
            > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

            You're welcome, Martin, but the Slovak American organizations still
            strenuously insist that Mike Strank was a Slovak American and that
            he was NOT Rusyn! So I don't think this settles anything for them.

            Robert Urich's father was Rusyn. Original surname: Juric~, village
            of origin was Venecia, now part of Lukov, Bardejov district.
          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 13, 2006
              I did a thorough genealogical research of Mike Strank. Was in Jarabina several times. At one occasion I told one Strenk relative: "So you now have a very famous Slovak in your village."
              "No!, he was Rusyn, not Slovak!" I was corrected immediately and vigorously.
              Both families were of Rusyn ethnicity.
              Jarabina still have a welcome sign in the road in rusyn language. It is a Rusyn village. Most of the "Slovaks"there are actually Roma.
              Vladimir

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 13, 2006
                "He was american soldier", say the Americans.
                "He was Slovak", says the Slovak history.
                "He was Rusyn" say his relatives.
                All true and all are proud of him. Were he a crook, nobody would want him as his own.
                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 13, 2006
                  Hello Vladimir

                  All true. Although, Mike would have been very, very uncomfortable
                  being very famous, as were the rest of the flag raisers with the
                  possible exception of Rene.

                  The family has seen the movie and it is a powerful movie and we feel
                  that Eastwood had done a great job of capturing the essence of the
                  book. We, of course, noted some differences but that is to be
                  expected given how well we know the history.

                  Bruce

                  At 02:04 AM 10/13/2006, you wrote:
                  >I did a thorough genealogical research of Mike Strank. Was in
                  >Jarabina several times. At one occasion I told one Strenk relative:
                  >"So you now have a very famous Slovak in your village."
                  >"No!, he was Rusyn, not Slovak!" I was corrected immediately and vigorously.
                  >Both families were of Rusyn ethnicity.
                  >Jarabina still have a welcome sign in the road in rusyn language. It
                  >is a Rusyn village. Most of the "Slovaks"there are actually Roma.
                  >Vladimir

                • Slovak American
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 13, 2006
                    Well put, Vladimir!

                    Patrick
                    http://slovakamerican.blogspot.com/

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 13, 2006
                      The 1930 US Census for Pennsylvania has a Michael Strank as a son of Wasil (ca 1898) and Martha (ca 1901) Strank. It shows him born in Czechoslovakia and living in Franklin, Cambria Co, PA. The brother born 3 years later is indicated to have been born in PA.

                      This indicates that immigration occurred between 1919 and 1922. The 1930 Census says that his father immigrated in 1921 and he and his mother immigrated in 1922.

                      I did not find him or his parents in a quick look at Ellis Island. Perhaps someone with more time will have more success.

                      Wasel registered for the WWII draft in Cambria Co in 1942 indicating that he was from Hungary and was living in (Franklin) Conemaugh, PA. He appears to have signed his given name with a "V" spelling.

                      I did not find Michael under Strank or the more common Strunk names. This suggests that he may have volunteered.

                      Jim Crownover-
                      CA