Re: [Slovak-World] Can Someone Help With Some Translations?

  • Joe Armata
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
      The five calamities that befell the village:

      Flood (June 1823, over 100 homes lost)

      Fire (13 Sept 1827, 120 homes burned, also the church, three churchbells
      melted away)

      Epidemic (Cholera, Aug 1831, population of 1801 was reduced to 1395)

      Famine (1847, bad harvest, the poor were reduced to eating vegetation which
      sickened many and many died)

      and 1st/2nd World Wars (77 died in WWI, 9 in WWII).

      Joe