Re: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Can Someone Help With Some Translations?

  • bhewlett@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
      Google search produced this:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventeenth_of_Tammuz>

      From: Kitticitti@...
      >Date: 2006/10/07 Sat PM 02:18:58 CDT
      >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Can Someone Help With Some Translations?

      >In a message dated 10/7/2006 11:43:15 AM Central Standard Time,
      >rmat@... writes:
      >
      >Five fingers that represent the five calamities that befell
      >behusu ... as a starter
      >

      >Ohh, er.... ok. That's a starter for sure but what does it mean?
      >
      >Thanks! Kathie Troyan Davis

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Joe Armata
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
        The five calamities that befell the village:

        Flood (June 1823, over 100 homes lost)

        Fire (13 Sept 1827, 120 homes burned, also the church, three churchbells
        melted away)

        Epidemic (Cholera, Aug 1831, population of 1801 was reduced to 1395)

        Famine (1847, bad harvest, the poor were reduced to eating vegetation which
        sickened many and many died)

        and 1st/2nd World Wars (77 died in WWI, 9 in WWII).

        Joe