Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Can Someone Help With Some Translations?

  • Kitticitti@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
      In a message dated 10/7/2006 11:43:15 AM Central Standard Time,
      rmat@... writes:

      Five fingers that represent the five calamities that befell
      behusu ... as a starter

      Ohh, er.... ok. That's a starter for sure but what does it mean?

      Thanks! Kathie Troyan Davis

    • bhewlett@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
        Google search produced this:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventeenth_of_Tammuz>

        From: Kitticitti@...
        >Date: 2006/10/07 Sat PM 02:18:58 CDT
        >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Can Someone Help With Some Translations?

        >In a message dated 10/7/2006 11:43:15 AM Central Standard Time,
        >rmat@... writes:
        >
        >Five fingers that represent the five calamities that befell
        >behusu ... as a starter
        >

        >Ohh, er.... ok. That's a starter for sure but what does it mean?
        >
        >Thanks! Kathie Troyan Davis

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Joe Armata
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
          The five calamities that befell the village:

          Flood (June 1823, over 100 homes lost)

          Fire (13 Sept 1827, 120 homes burned, also the church, three churchbells
          melted away)

          Epidemic (Cholera, Aug 1831, population of 1801 was reduced to 1395)

          Famine (1847, bad harvest, the poor were reduced to eating vegetation which
          sickened many and many died)

          and 1st/2nd World Wars (77 died in WWI, 9 in WWII).

          Joe