Can Someone Help With Some Translations?

  • Kitticitti@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
      Hi everyone,
      I've been working on my genealogy, again, and I found there were quite a few
      Slovak cemeteries listed online. I got to looking and found a lot with
      photos, too.
      I found this one page and although I am fairly certain I am not related to
      anyone on it, it's fascinating and the tombstones shown on this site are very
      unusual. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to have a look and
      tell me what all of this says.. not the translations on the stones but just a
      general idea of what this site is all about. It looks to me like there is
      mention of some sort of plague.
      Also, are these common types of stones in Slovakia? This is the only
      website I've found so far that has any this unusual.
      _http://www.belusa2.host.sk/5prstov.htm_
      (http://www.belusa2.host.sk/5prstov.htm)
      Thankyou all so much for your assistance, in advance.
      Best wishes, Kathie Troyan Davis

    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
        Five fingers that represent the five calamities that befell
        behusu ... as a starter

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
          In a message dated 10/7/2006 11:43:15 AM Central Standard Time,
          rmat@... writes:

          Five fingers that represent the five calamities that befell
          behusu ... as a starter

          Ohh, er.... ok. That's a starter for sure but what does it mean?

          Thanks! Kathie Troyan Davis

        • bhewlett@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
            Google search produced this:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventeenth_of_Tammuz>

            From: Kitticitti@...
            >Date: 2006/10/07 Sat PM 02:18:58 CDT
            >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Can Someone Help With Some Translations?

            >In a message dated 10/7/2006 11:43:15 AM Central Standard Time,
            >rmat@... writes:
            >
            >Five fingers that represent the five calamities that befell
            >behusu ... as a starter
            >

            >Ohh, er.... ok. That's a starter for sure but what does it mean?
            >
            >Thanks! Kathie Troyan Davis

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Joe Armata
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
              The five calamities that befell the village:

              Flood (June 1823, over 100 homes lost)

              Fire (13 Sept 1827, 120 homes burned, also the church, three churchbells
              melted away)

              Epidemic (Cholera, Aug 1831, population of 1801 was reduced to 1395)

              Famine (1847, bad harvest, the poor were reduced to eating vegetation which
              sickened many and many died)

              and 1st/2nd World Wars (77 died in WWI, 9 in WWII).

              Joe