Ten years

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
      Dear Friends,
      Thank you very much. I am glad I served you well and with many of you it was fun too.
      Since then, many things have changed here;
      - prices are skyrocketing
      - access to sources is obstructed as never before
      - privacy law is being observed
      - people hesitate to talk to strangers, be it on the phone or at their gates
      - interest to find and meet relatives is declining
      - spreading of internet created an illusion that everything can be found there
      So, one has to watch for early signs of such changes and adapt. I am glad we've made it so far and am looking forward for more successful years and clients to come.
      An occupation as mine is not just an occupation. It's a state of mind. This means constant mental occupation with the matter, no limit in working hours or days, sometimes no holidays...but it is rewarding. Not as much in financial terms as one would think, but in satisfaction after a good work has been done.This is then self-motivating.
      And your feedbacks are motivating too.
      Thank you!
      Vladimir

    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
        Vladimir, I am wondering if you would elaborate on a few of the items you
        mentioned:

        At 08:53 AM 10/6/2006 +0200, you wrote:
        >- access to sources is obstructed as never before

        obstructed by...gov't? for what reasons?--privacy laws, capriciousness, or....?

        >- privacy law is being observed

        would you remind us please what the privacy laws are? I seem to recall
        that records (or some records) are not available later than a certain date
        (such as, birth records after 1920 are not available for privacy reasons)

        >- people hesitate to talk to strangers, be it on the phone or at their gates

        you say that this is a change. What is the reason behind the change, do
        you know? Are people becoming less friendly, or more private, or are they
        afraid of something?

        Julie Michutka, always curious
        jmm@...
      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
          1. After some archives received films from the Mormons and readers, their capacity was reduced from 5 or more per day to two per day, so waiting times are almost two months, which is ridiculous. Brno has capacity of about 25 researchers at a time.
          Slovak archives like this situation, because they have less to work.
          The archive of Bratislava, where the Jewish records are is not accessible at all, since they moved to new location. You have to order research.
          2. Privacy Law forbids release of data younger than 100 years ( in Slovak case even younger than 1895, which means civil records) to persons, which are not members of the family. Nevertheless, there are several church records, which go far beyond 1895 and are accessible. The restriction concerns more civil records, but if you go to the parish office, they will also tell you about the law etc.
          You have the same privacy laws in US. All countries here have that. After 9/11, everything got worse.
          3.Yes, it is a change. Mostly because there are more and more people going from door to door; some want to sell something, some want to robb, some kill. Therefore in Slovakia, where there are loudspeakers in villages and many towns, the Mayor's offices are warning people not to open the door to strangers etc.etc. Imagine my feeling, I am standing at the fence and talking to old lady friendly, but she would not let me in because she is afraid I will robb or kill her, so I have to open up my case on the ground, take out the papers and talk to her. All the neighbors see that and after I leave, they all come and ask her what was this about and who I was and what did I want. A stranger in a village is a supsicious person. ( and I do not look like a Moslem at all) This is where we got to with all this "freedom". As in good old communist times, everybody can now suspect everybody. I read, your situation is not much better either.
          While I was in Slovenia I found a even a booklet, issued by the police with all the advices how to handle the strangers, who come from far away places.
          All for our security.
          Sure, the most secure place is prison.
          Vladimir

          Vladimir, I am wondering if you would elaborate on a few of the items you
          mentioned:

          At 08:53 AM 10/6/2006 +0200, you wrote:
          >- access to sources is obstructed as never before

          obstructed by...gov't? for what reasons?--privacy laws, capriciousness, or....?

          >- privacy law is being observed

          would you remind us please what the privacy laws are? I seem to recall
          that records (or some records) are not available later than a certain date
          (such as, birth records after 1920 are not available for privacy reasons)

          >- people hesitate to talk to strangers, be it on the phone or at their gates

          you say that this is a change. What is the reason behind the change, do
          you know? Are people becoming less friendly, or more private, or are they
          afraid of something?

          Julie Michutka, always curious
          jmm@...

          http://www.eset.sk

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
            Because of our HIPPA laws (those are that no one is
            entitled to your medical history, records or
            information) -- my priest has literally had to ask his
            parishioners to put him on an "approved visitors list"
            before he is allowed into hospitals, nursing homes and
            the Veterans Hospitals to administer communion and
            bless his flock -- and to visit prisoners it's even
            more rediculous.

            Caye

            http://mail.yahoo.com