44 danovnikov...

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11 7:42 AM
      Looking at some population numbers in the history of my grandparents'
      village....would "44 dan~ovnikov" be "44 taxable households"? .... dan~
      being "tax", and dan~ovy appears to be "taxation".

      dakujem za pomoc,

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11 8:48 AM
        > "44 dan~ovnikov" be "44 taxable households"?

        To be precise, _danovnik_ is a person paying taxes but, as you say,
        Julie, that person was indeed taxed for the whole household/farm in
        the more distant past. Taxes used to be excised "per gate." One gate
        opening onto the street meant one farm.

        It occasionally led to some creative architecture by the farmers when
        their families multiplied and split -- they would add buildings but
        strive to keep only one gate for all of them since the per-gate rule
        used to be taken quite literally for tax purposes.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11 9:01 AM
          Thank you Martin; what interesting information! --Julie