Re:Is she Czech, Slovak or Magyar or ????

  • bhewlett@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 5:03 PM
      This is what makes genealogy interesting. I grew up under the impression that my dad and his family, who came here from 1900 - 1911, were Hungarian. Hungarian was their main language and with my grandmother German came in 2nd. I am sure she knew Slovak, having lived in Sumiac for 20 years of her married life. Sumiac was 80% Slovak. It wasn't until I started researching church records that I discovered my Hungarian name of Kristoffy, was actually changed around 1878 (peak year for maygarization in upper Hungary) from Kristofik, a Slovak name (or maybe Czech - not sure, maybe someone can clarify that for me). I went into a mild case of identity crisis, but came out all the better for it. They all considered themselves Hungarian because they were citizens of Hungary and spoke the language. But we all know nationality and ethnicity are two different things, so it depends what you are talking about.
      Joyce