Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Reply -Slovak-Hungarian tensions

  • Bob Pollak
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      I have distant relatives living in Lipovnik which is near the Hungarian border. As you enter the town, the name is in both Slovak and Hungarian. They consider themselves Hungarian and speak Hungarian in the village but speak Slovak outside the village.

      I have traced the family and the earliest I found is that they lived in what is now the Czech Republic. In about 1816 one member of the family moved to Krasnohorske Podhradie and in about 1840 some moved to Spisska nova Ves and others stayed in Lipovnik and others moved to the area of Jablonov nad Turnou.

      I think that the change of borders designated whether they were Slovak or Magyar. On the ship registration for my g-grandmother she listed her nationality as Magyar but indicated she spoke Slovak. She was born in Krasnohorske Podhradie, moved to Spisska nova Ves and then came to the U.S. after her husband died.

      Is she Czech, Slovak or Magyar or ????

      Bob Pollak