One more time, please

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 28, 2006
      I know that this has come up a number of times, but I had to clean out my e-archive and don't have the answer anymore (I will, however, save the answer I get this time). What's the best way to send money to Slovakia? A friend's relative is getting married and he'd like to send a monetary gift.

      D'akujem pekne,
    • rjp99us
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 28, 2006

        > I know that this has come up a number of times, but I had to clean
        out my e-archive and don't have the answer anymore (I will, however,
        save the answer I get this time). What's the best way to send money
        to Slovakia? A friend's relative is getting married and he'd like to
        send a monetary gift.

        > D'akujem pekne,

        My cousin in Lipovnik was married in MAy and I sent a Cashiers Check.
        As of last week, it still has not cleared. My cousin thanked me for
        the gift and did not indicate any problem in cashing it but it is
        possible that she had a problem and was embarrased to tell me. I have
        sent cash to other people in Slovakia and they received it OK.

        Bob Pollak
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006
          > What's the best way to send money to Slovakia? A friend's
          > relative is getting married and he'd like to send a monetary gift.

          In my experience, it depends on the fees. If it's a small amount, I
          consider putting a banknote in a letter or a greeting card safe enough.

          A postal Money Order used to be easy to handle for most recipients in
          Slovakia and cheap, but I recall someone saying that USPS has
          apparently discontinued this service to Slovakia and many other
          countries (?? I haven't used it in a long time). Regardless, it's
          useful to compare its convenience and fees with a wire money transfer
          from your bank account to the recipient's (i.e., s/he needs to have
          one and give you the account and bank number), and with Western Union.

          Disregarding the fees, the advantage of the last one is that it's
          instantaneous (a postal Money Order used to take a looong time and a
          bank wire can take 2-4 days) -- you can do it online (with a debit
          card to avoid a cash advance fee incurred with a credit card) and the
          money's there almost as soon as you make your last click (depending on
          the business hours where the recipient picks it up, of course), that
          the recipient doesn't have to have a bank account, and that Western
          Union has offices in many smallish Slovak towns (check online and tell
          them where). But you need to call/write the recipient to give them
          the confirmation number which the office in Slovakia (usually a bank
          or a local post office) may require in addition to the recipient's ID.

          Western Union's fees drop in increments from around 20% for $100 to
          about 8% for $1000, etc., so I'd compare WU with the other options.
          For instance, my bank charges a fixed fee of $40 for an outgoing
          international wire (at the same time the recipient's bank will charge
          the recipient for an incoming international wire and bank fees can be
          rather steep in Slovakia), so all in all Western Union ends up being
          more than 50% cheaper for $100, but close to twice as expensive for $1000.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006
            What about personal checks? I seem to remember discussion of those.

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006
              > What about personal checks?

              Ask your bank what would happen if you wanted to deposit a Slovak
              check in koruny to your account. That's how it works for the
              Slovaks, too. The Slovaks have to take the check to their bank (i.e.,
              must have an account), pay fees as high as for wire transfers or
              Western Union's, and wait for a long time for the checks to clear.
              Unless the amount is large, the fee can wipe out most of it. No
              wonder that checks from Americans go sometimes uncashed in Slovakia.
              To get an idea of the fees, ask your bank how much it would cost you
              if your bank issued you with a check drawn on a Slovak bank -- that
              might, just might, save the Slovak recipient some fees (only some), if
              your bank can do it and if the recipient has an account with that bank.

              People sometimes recall that their Slovak relatives could cash US
              checks without fees. But that was 16+ years ago when the communist
              autorities were desparate for any Western currency.

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006
                That's about the tenor of the checks discussion I seemed to remember. Thanks for all the info.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006
                  > That's about the tenor of the checks discussion
                  > I seemed to remember.

                  I'm glad if it's of any help, Helen. Just wanted to clarify that that
                  was what I'm familiar with, not a summary of opinions: I recall there
                  was such a discussion on SK-W but I don't think I read the posts. So
                  other people may chip in with different experiences. Probably none of
                  us sends money quite regularly, moreover in a variety of ways, so it's
                  difficult to generalize.

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006
                    For sending money to Slovakia, don't forget Dan Kisha:
                    http://www.slovakic.com/ You pay here, and he can send money (Slovak
                    postal money order?) over there for a reasonable fee.

                    Joe
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006
                      D'akujem vel'mi pekne, Joe! I'd forgotten all about Dan. This would probably be the best bet for my own cousin's daughter who just got married. My friend said that because his cousin and her fiance work in London, he was going to send them a personal check, figuring they'd have little trouble with it once they return to London.

                      Helen Fedor
                      European Division
                      Library of Congress
                      10 E. First St., S.E.
                      Washington, D.C. 20540-4830
                      tel. (202) 707-3704
                      fax (202) 707-8482
                      <hfed@...>
                      >>> JArmata@... 08/29/06 5:03 PM >>>
                      For sending money to Slovakia, don't forget Dan Kisha:
                      http://www.slovakic.com/ You pay here, and he can send money (Slovak
                      postal money order?) over there for a reasonable fee.

                      Joe
                    • Dan Kisha
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006
                        Had to stop sending money to Slovakia. Received the US Treasury
                        Department OK, but the state of Maryland wanted $4000 for a
                        license every 2 years. SIC does not do enough money transfer
                        business to even come close to breaking even. Paypal had a fit
                        over this issue and refused to do business with me. I can
                        honestly tell you Paypal is a very bureaucratic outfit.

                        Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...
                        Slovak Import Company
                        New WWW Address: http://www.slovakic.com
                        <http://www.slovakic.com/>
                        Ebay WWW Address:
                        http://www.ebaystores.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany?refid=store
                        Phone number in the US: 410 273 1149

                        For sending money to Slovakia, don't forget Dan Kisha:
                        http://www.slovakic <http://www.slovakic.com/> .com/ You pay here,

                      • bbagin@verizon.net
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006
                          why not use stormpay.com?

                          =====================

                          For sending money to Slovakia, don't forget Dan Kisha:
                          http://www.slovakic <http://www.slovakic.com/> .com/ You pay here,
                          and he can send money (Slovak
                          postal money order?) over there for a reasonable fee.

                          Joe

                          Bruce Bagin
                          5620 Forbes Avenue
                          Pittsburgh, PA 15217-1524
                        • Fred G Kovalyak
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 30, 2006
                            Bruce, tell us about Stormpay ......have u used them ?

                            Fred Kovalyak

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • bbagin@verizon.net
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 30, 2006
                              I used Vladimir to perform some genealogical research and paid him using stormpay.com and was very pleased with the quality of his work and the ease of stormpay to ensure he got paid. I used a credit card and storm pay took care of the transaction. It was amazingly easy. Vladimir was a very high quality class professional, and paying him was a snap with storm pay.

                              =====================
                              From: Fred G Kovalyak <fkovalyak@...>
                              Date: 2006/08/30 Wed AM 04:05:00 CDT
                              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                              Cc: Fred G Kovalyak <fgkoval@...>
                              Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: One more time, please

                              --- bbagin@... wrote:

                              > why not use stormpay.com?
                              >
                              > =====================
                              > From: Dan Kisha <daniel.kisha@...>
                              > Date: 2006/08/29 Tue PM 07:48:49 CDT
                              > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                              > Subject: RE: [Slovak-World] Re: One more time, please
                              >

                              > Had to stop sending money to Slovakia. Received the US Treasury
                              > Department OK, but the state of Maryland wanted $4000 for a
                              > license every 2 years. SIC does not do enough money transfer
                              > business to even come close to breaking even. Paypal had a fit
                              > over this issue and refused to do business with me. I can
                              > honestly tell you Paypal is a very bureaucratic outfit.
                              >

                              > Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...
                              > Slovak Import Company
                              > New WWW Address: http://www.slovakic.com
                              > <http://www.slovakic.com/>
                              > Ebay WWW Address:
                              > http://www.ebaystores.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany?refid=store
                              > Phone number in the US: 410 273 1149

                              http://mail.yahoo.com

                              Bruce Bagin
                              5620 Forbes Avenue
                              Pittsburgh, PA 15217-1524
                            • Dan Kisha
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 30, 2006
                                My <http://www.slovakic.com/> http://www.slovakic.com web site is
                                now being setup with GOOGLE CHECKOUT because I use Google for
                                advertising and I get reduced rate for advertising at Google
                                Checkout. For the Ebay website, I am now using BIDPAY which is
                                approved by EBAY, and Google is not approved yet.

                                Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...
                                Slovak Import Company
                                New WWW Address: http://www.slovakic.com
                                <http://www.slovakic.com/>
                                Ebay WWW Address:
                                http://www.ebaystores.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany?refid=store
                                Phone number in the US: 410 273 1149

                                Had to stop sending money to Slovakia. Received the US Treasury
                                Department OK, but the state of Maryland wanted $4000 for a
                                license every 2 years. SIC does not do enough money transfer
                                business to even come close to breaking even. Paypal had a fit
                                over this issue and refused to do business with me. I can
                                honestly tell you Paypal is a very bureaucratic outfit.

                                Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@ <mailto:daniel.kisha%40prodigy.net>
                                prodigy.net
                                Slovak Import Company
                                New WWW Address: http://www.slovakic <http://www.slovakic.com>
                                .com

                                Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:04 PM

                                <http://www.slovakic.com/> .com/> .com/ You pay here,
                                and he can send money (Slovak
                                postal money order?) over there for a reasonable fee.

                                Joe

                                Bruce Bagin
                                5620 Forbes Avenue
                                Pittsburgh, PA 15217-1524

                              • Vladimir Bohinc
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 2, 2006
                                  I receive most of payments with checks. Personal or cashiers. The fee is always about $8. Clearance takes about 10 days.
                                  Western Union fee is about $30 and bank transfer about $35.
                                  All payments made in US dollars, not koruny.
                                  Vladimir

[...]

                                  http://www.eset.sk

                                • Martin Votruba
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 2, 2006
                                    > I receive most of payments with checks. Personal or cashiers.
                                    > The fee is always about $8. Clearance takes about 10 days.

                                    Thank you, Vladimir, that's very useful. Could you, kindly, say at
                                    what bank (although I'm sure others' fees won't be dramatically
                                    different)?

                                    Martin

                                    votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                                  • Vladimir Bohinc
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 3, 2006
                                      I use Tatra Bank.
                                      Vladimir

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
                                        Thank you once more, Vladimir.

                                        Martin

                                        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                                      • Dr. Joe Q
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
                                          http://www.foreignmoney.com/

                                          I have used the International Currency Express, Inc.
                                          to get drafts in Euros. They take credit cards and
                                          the draft is sent to you via regular mail. It takes
                                          about 3 days to get the draft. The last one I had to
                                          get for a Belgium invoice came in 2 days. Their fee
                                          is what ever their exchange rate is (1.38 the last
                                          time, plus $10 dollars. There is usually not a bank
                                          charge for the person who receives it to cash or
                                          deposit the draft.

                                          I have not asked them about Sk's.

                                          Dr. "Q"

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com