Re: Martin vs. Bratislava

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2006
      > He then talks about the "continuing competition" between Martin
      > and B-slava being finally decided in the late 1950s.

      Thank you for the details, Helen. My guess would be that he means
      competition in the sense of a perception of cultural influence,
      importance, etc. (not the country's capital). That was indeed the
      case that some of the more prominent people in Martin had a sense of
      being the center of "Slovakness", you can find traces of it through
      the present.

      As to the location of the Slovak government and therefore Slovakia's
      capital, that was decided fast although not in 1918 since the SK
      government only started working from Zilina in mid-December 1918, and
      it was far from having effective control of the country. They sent
      unsuccessful queries about accommodation to the local governments at
      Martin and Zilina (and considered Nitra briefly without contacting
      anyone there: they decided Nitra was too much off the beaten track).
      Surely, people at large had all kinds of opinions about the location
      of the future capital, but this was the government's line of action.

      The government set off from Zilina for Bratislava on Feb. 4, 1919 (a
      move hampered by a deliberate strike of many railroad employees still
      loyal to Budapest), and that was that.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu