Re: 1 per cent to Britain?

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2006
      > Doesn't surprise me; a lot of youth are going over to work
      > a lot of service industry jobs as well. A couple of my cousins

      There are no clear statistics but I wonder, Scott, how much Slovak
      emigration to the Czech R. (most massive), Britain, Ireland, as well
      as to countries where getting a job legally is more complicated for
      them contributed to Slovakia's rapid drop in unemployment after it
      joined the European Union. The unemployment rate was over 17% in
      2002, it's just above 10% this year. We now know from British sources
      that about 1% is thanks to Britain.

      > Rick Santorum needs all the votes that he can get
      > this election year, so he ought to at least make an effort...

      His representative at a discussion here last year said that while
      Santorum gets letters about this from Polish Americans, he never
      received a single letter from a Slovak constituent urging him to...
      etc. On the whole, I think the level of discomfort with unchecked
      immigration among Santorum's actual and potential voters outweighs
      any pressure from the Central European ethnic groups, which, moreover,
      seems to be limited to a campaign by the Poles.

      In a larger picture, Greece has been member of the EU for 25 years,
      but they still need a visa to travel to the US. And Kazakhstan,
      Azerbaijan, El Salvador, countries with even less hope for US visa
      waivers than Slovakia, sent soldiers to Iraq, too, while Slovenia
      didn't, but a Slovenian doesn't need a US visa.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu