Slovak Beer

  • David
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 23, 2006
      Slovakia
      Slovak beer almost unknown abroad

      ACCORDING to a report published on August 3,
      Slovak beer is difficult to find abroad because
      Slovak breweries are focused on the domestic
      market. If beer is exported, it is usually to
      neighbouring countries or to North America, the
      Hospodárske noviny newspaper found.

      In 2005, only 11.8 million litres of Slovak beer
      out of a total of 396.3 million litres brewed was
      exported, more or less the same as in the last six years.

      Of the 11.8 million litres exported in 2005, 7
      million consisted of beer exported by Heineken,
      which owns many Slovak brands. "This includes
      Zlatý Ba ant [Golden Pheasant], which has been
      the most successful beer export for a long time,"
      said Heineken spokesman Roman Krajniak.

      Last year, Zlatý Ba ant was sold in 16 countries,
      mainly the Czech Republic, Russia, Hungary, Canada and the US.

      According to the director of the Slovak
      Association of Beer and Malt Producers, Roman
      Šusták, the trend is more towards the export of hops and malt.

      "Last year was a disaster [for breweries], but
      this summer's hot weather means sales should be better," Šusták added.
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 23, 2006
        Hey Dave, a local polish food store here in Chicago
        usually carrys at least one Slovak beer and many
        Polish ones -- Bobak's -- they have 3 or 4 locations
        in Chicagoland -- guess the rest of you'll have to
        come visit me to get the brew -- oh, one of their
        stores ALSO HAS BRYNDZA -- jealous!?!

        ;-D
        Caye

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 23, 2006
          For those in the Washington, DC, area, I found out a couple of days ago that you can buy Zlaty Bazant beer at Norm's Beer And Wine (703-242-0100) in Vienna, VA.

          Helen

          >>> humblebe@... 08/23/06 7:49 AM >>>

[...]

          this summer's hot weather means sales should be better," *usták added.
        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 23, 2006
            At 07:49 PM 23/08/2006, you wrote:

            >Slovakia
            >Slovak beer almost unknown abroad

            I have bought Topvar in Australia, wasn't bad either,

            Nick
          • Amanda Lovitt
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 24, 2006
              I found that article very interesting.

              I could buy Zlaty up in Boulder in Western Australia. 600km from the
              nearest capital city - and Perth is the most remote capital city anywhere in
              the world.

              Now I'm near Bunbury, I can buy Slovak glass at the local jewellery shop,
              but haven't looked for the beer yet.

              Amanda Lovitt
              Australind, Western Australia
            • krejc@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 24, 2006
                Dear Helen,
                Thank you for the address and Dave, thanks for the topic. Vienna is right on
                the way to my daughter's house and i will be sure to leave time for a slight
                detour to purchase Zlaty Bazant beer in November. My trusty Slovak-English
                Dictionary says this means Golden Pheasant. Is this correct?

              • krejc@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 24, 2006
                  Dear Caye,
                  I was feeling quite smug and was going to tell you about our beer distributor
                  in Clifton, New Jersey having a variety of Polish beers and usually one or
                  two Slovak beers. but you got me on the Bryndza. Hmmmm :O(
                  Noreen

                  > oh, one of their
                  > stores ALSO HAS BRYNDZA -- jealous!?!
                  >
                  > ;-D
                  > Caye

                • gergely
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 24, 2006
                    Linda,

                    I will be gone this morning. If I get a chance inbetween appointments, I'll
                    call you while I'm out. If not, I'll call you when I get home.

                    I need the master copy of the form on which you put the 2005 Credentials
                    report that you sent me. In other words, I need the Credentials report
                    without any 2005 data-just the raw form.

                    Thanks,

                    Christine

                    I could buy Zlaty up in Boulder in Western Australia. 600km from the
                    nearest capital city - and Perth is the most remote capital city anywhere in
                    the world.

                    Now I'm near Bunbury, I can buy Slovak glass at the local jewellery shop,
                    but haven't looked for the beer yet.

                    Amanda Lovitt
                    Australind, Western Australia

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • gergely
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 24, 2006
                      Sorry folks.

                      Chris apparently had the wrong message open.

                      Jack Gergely

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 24, 2006
                        Yes it is.

                        I also know that somewhere up in Pittsburgh you can get S~aris~ beer. If anyone's interested, I'll find out the name of the store.

                        >>> krejc@... 08/24/06 6:23 AM >>>
                        Dear Helen,
                        Thank you for the address and Dave, thanks for the topic. Vienna is right on
                        the way to my daughter's house and i will be sure to leave time for a slight
                        detour to purchase Zlaty Bazant beer in November. My trusty Slovak-English
                        Dictionary says this means Golden Pheasant. Is this correct?

                        > Washington, DC, area, I found out a couple of days ago that you can buy
                        > Zlaty Bazant beer at Norm's Beer And Wine (703-242-0100) in Vienna, VA.
                        >
                        > Helen

                      • Martin Votruba
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 24, 2006
                          > somewhere up in Pittsburgh you can get S~aris~ beer.

                          Slovak beer in Pgh.:

                          www.regentsquare.net/mcbroom.html - Zlaty bazant, Saris

                          www.mellingersbeer.com/index.html - Zlaty bazant, Saris, Topvar

                          I also recall that Craig Distributors (on Craig at Centre in Oakland)
                          used to carry Zlaty bazant/Golden Pheasant.

                          Martin

                          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                        • Lil Junas
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 24, 2006
                            For you Iowans, add Roots Market on Main Street in Cedar Falls for
                            Zlaty Bazant bottles. The Liquor Store in Waverly, IA, carries Zlaty
                            Bazant in small six-pack cans.
                            lil