Re: Driving

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 16 12:37 PM
      Julie,
      I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
      most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
      to go.
      Bill

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

      > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
      > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
      > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
      > >be appreciated.
      >

      > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...

    • Sven Thomschewski
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 16 12:54 PM
        Take a map from VKU, that one called "Podrobny/Autoatlas - Slovenska
        Republika(1:100.000). Thats the best map you can get. The Tesco Hypermarkets
        have that map.

        Actually It's a new version of this map released for 2006. I got that one.
        The map is in english, too. Costs maybe 319 SKK.

        Sven

        _____

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 16 1:02 PM
          I'll check when I get home tonight -- I purchased a
          few great atlases/maps at the first filling station we
          arrived at, just east of the border crossing in
          Bratislava -- I did have fun, and I'm sure you will
          too -- helps to have a navigator tell the driver where
          to turn, it would be difficult to read a map and drive
          too -- also a tip, instead of watching for your route
          number on the signs, figure out the city that route
          ends in -- and look for that sign, then to confirm you
          are on the appropriate route, have someone in the car
          watch for the teeny, tiny black route numbers along
          the right-hand side of the road. You'll keep missing
          the turns if you watch only for the route numbers.

          Caye

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • J. Michutka
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 16 1:40 PM
            At 07:37 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
            >Julie,
            > I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
            >most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
            >to go.
            >Bill

            I have an extra Podrobny Auto Atlas from 2002 that I'd be happy to send
            you. It is slightly out of date (some new highways/construction), but it
            will do you until you find a new 2006 one (it took us a few days to get a
            new one). Only condition is, if you do end up getting a new one, you
            eventually pass the older one on to someone else who can use it (even if it
            becomes really out-of-date for driving, which I don't foresee, it's
            detailed enough to be great for genealogy).

            If you'd like it, email me (jmm@...) and I'll pop it in the mail
            tomorrow; it should get to you in time.

            OH!-- I keep forgetting to mention this when we talk about driving in
            Slovakia--they don't have yellow lines down the center of the road like we
            do, to indicate separation of lanes of opposing directions of traffic--it's
            just white lines. It kept bugging me, 'cause to us it looks like it's just
            separating lanes going in the same direction.

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...
          • ssultonia
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 16 4:09 PM
              Sven,
              Thanks. Good info and I will certainly look for that map.
              Bill
              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Thomschewski"
              <sven.thomschewski@...> wrote:

              > Take a map from VKU, that one called "Podrobny/Autoatlas - Slovenska
              > Republika(1:100.000). Thats the best map you can get. The Tesco
              Hypermarkets
              > have that map.
              >
              > Actually It's a new version of this map released for 2006. I got
              that one.
              > The map is in english, too. Costs maybe 319 SKK.
              >

              > Sven
              >

              > _____

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 16 8:45 PM
                one problem i have driving in slovakia = when a turn is indicated - it isn't always right away but usually a good ways ahead

                glad you had a great trip Caye

                helene

                --- ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote:

                > Caye,
                > Thanks very much. Sounds like you had a great
                > time. I just want to
                > get from Blava to SNV on the most direct route and
                > via best highways.
                > I don't have any good maps right now but I will
                > certainly pick one up
                > as soon as we get into Blava.
                > Bill
                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick
                > <ccaswick@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
                > > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
                > > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via
                > the
                > > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
                > > highway -- you do need to watch out for those
                > Suicide
                > > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there,
                > it's
                > > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas
                > stations
                > > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount
                > of
                > > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
                > > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just
                > used
                > > and give you more info.
                > >

                > > Caye
                > >

                > > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

                > Nova
                > > > Ves? I know it
                > > > stops? Any info would
                > > >

                > > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are
                > you
                > > > leaving?
                > > >
                > > > Julie Michutka
                > > > jmm@...

                > protection around
                > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 16 8:47 PM
                  Be aware there is a lot of construction and delays on the major highway - around Povaske Bystrica also on a lot of other roads - will be great when all done but allow time for that

                  helene

                  ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote:
                  Julie,
                  I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
                  most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
                  to go.
                  Bill

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

                  > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
                  > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
                  > >be appreciated.
                  >

                  > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?
                  >
                  > Julie Michutka
                  > jmm@...

                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 16 8:52 PM
                    hi all = got a request for a wedding capping song - does anyone know where a cd with the song can be obtained = Greg can you help

                    wedding is in early september

                    helene

                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 17 7:16 AM
                      It was fabulous, good hearing from you Helene -- also,
                      when you get time after you return and dig out from
                      under, let's discuss the Parta/Parte -- the fancy
                      crowns single girls wear with their Kroj -- I'm
                      interested in learning more and maybe making one
                      representative of my gram's village -- which I plan to
                      entitle . . .

                      Caye's FOREVER Single Crown, LOL!!!

                      Caye

                      http://mail.yahoo.com