Re: Driving

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
      Julie,
      I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
      most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
      to go.
      Bill

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

      > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
      > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
      > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
      > >be appreciated.
      >

      > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...

    • ssultonia
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
        Caye,
        Thanks very much. Sounds like you had a great time. I just want to
        get from Blava to SNV on the most direct route and via best highways.
        I don't have any good maps right now but I will certainly pick one up
        as soon as we get into Blava.
        Bill
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

        > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
        > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
        > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via the
        > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
        > highway -- you do need to watch out for those Suicide
        > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there, it's
        > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas stations
        > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount of
        > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
        > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just used
        > and give you more info.
        >

        > Caye
        >

        > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:
        >
        > > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
        > > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova
        > > Ves? I know it
        > > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest
        > > stops? Any info would
        > > >be appreciated.
        > >

        > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you
        > > leaving?
        > >
        > > Julie Michutka
        > > jmm@...

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Sven Thomschewski
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
          Take a map from VKU, that one called "Podrobny/Autoatlas - Slovenska
          Republika(1:100.000). Thats the best map you can get. The Tesco Hypermarkets
          have that map.

          Actually It's a new version of this map released for 2006. I got that one.
          The map is in english, too. Costs maybe 319 SKK.

          Sven

          _____

          --- In Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

          > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
          > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
          > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via the
          > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
          > highway -- you do need to watch out for those Suicide
          > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there, it's
          > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas stations
          > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount of
          > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
          > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just used
          > and give you more info.
          >

          > Caye
          >

          > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:
          >
          > > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
          > > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova
          > > Ves? I know it
          > > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest
          > > stops? Any info would
          > > >be appreciated.
          > >

          > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you
          > > leaving?
          > >
          > > Julie Michutka
          > > jmm@...

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
            I'll check when I get home tonight -- I purchased a
            few great atlases/maps at the first filling station we
            arrived at, just east of the border crossing in
            Bratislava -- I did have fun, and I'm sure you will
            too -- helps to have a navigator tell the driver where
            to turn, it would be difficult to read a map and drive
            too -- also a tip, instead of watching for your route
            number on the signs, figure out the city that route
            ends in -- and look for that sign, then to confirm you
            are on the appropriate route, have someone in the car
            watch for the teeny, tiny black route numbers along
            the right-hand side of the road. You'll keep missing
            the turns if you watch only for the route numbers.

            Caye

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • J. Michutka
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
              At 07:37 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
              >Julie,
              > I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
              >most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
              >to go.
              >Bill

              I have an extra Podrobny Auto Atlas from 2002 that I'd be happy to send
              you. It is slightly out of date (some new highways/construction), but it
              will do you until you find a new 2006 one (it took us a few days to get a
              new one). Only condition is, if you do end up getting a new one, you
              eventually pass the older one on to someone else who can use it (even if it
              becomes really out-of-date for driving, which I don't foresee, it's
              detailed enough to be great for genealogy).

              If you'd like it, email me (jmm@...) and I'll pop it in the mail
              tomorrow; it should get to you in time.

              OH!-- I keep forgetting to mention this when we talk about driving in
              Slovakia--they don't have yellow lines down the center of the road like we
              do, to indicate separation of lanes of opposing directions of traffic--it's
              just white lines. It kept bugging me, 'cause to us it looks like it's just
              separating lanes going in the same direction.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...
            • ssultonia
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                Sven,
                Thanks. Good info and I will certainly look for that map.
                Bill
                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Thomschewski"
                <sven.thomschewski@...> wrote:

                > Take a map from VKU, that one called "Podrobny/Autoatlas - Slovenska
                > Republika(1:100.000). Thats the best map you can get. The Tesco
                Hypermarkets
                > have that map.
                >
                > Actually It's a new version of this map released for 2006. I got
                that one.
                > The map is in english, too. Costs maybe 319 SKK.
                >

                > Sven
                >

                > _____

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                  one problem i have driving in slovakia = when a turn is indicated - it isn't always right away but usually a good ways ahead

                  glad you had a great trip Caye

                  helene

                  --- ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote:

                  > Caye,
                  > Thanks very much. Sounds like you had a great
                  > time. I just want to
                  > get from Blava to SNV on the most direct route and
                  > via best highways.
                  > I don't have any good maps right now but I will
                  > certainly pick one up
                  > as soon as we get into Blava.
                  > Bill
                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick
                  > <ccaswick@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
                  > > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
                  > > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via
                  > the
                  > > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
                  > > highway -- you do need to watch out for those
                  > Suicide
                  > > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there,
                  > it's
                  > > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas
                  > stations
                  > > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount
                  > of
                  > > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
                  > > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just
                  > used
                  > > and give you more info.
                  > >

                  > > Caye
                  > >

                  > > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

                  > Nova
                  > > > Ves? I know it
                  > > > stops? Any info would
                  > > >

                  > > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are
                  > you
                  > > > leaving?
                  > > >
                  > > > Julie Michutka
                  > > > jmm@...

                  > protection around
                  > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                    Be aware there is a lot of construction and delays on the major highway - around Povaske Bystrica also on a lot of other roads - will be great when all done but allow time for that

                    helene

                    ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote:
                    Julie,
                    I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
                    most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
                    to go.
                    Bill

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

                    > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                    > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
                    > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
                    > >be appreciated.
                    >

                    > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?
                    >
                    > Julie Michutka
                    > jmm@...

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                      hi all = got a request for a wedding capping song - does anyone know where a cd with the song can be obtained = Greg can you help

                      wedding is in early september

                      helene

                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 17, 2006
                        It was fabulous, good hearing from you Helene -- also,
                        when you get time after you return and dig out from
                        under, let's discuss the Parta/Parte -- the fancy
                        crowns single girls wear with their Kroj -- I'm
                        interested in learning more and maybe making one
                        representative of my gram's village -- which I plan to
                        entitle . . .

                        Caye's FOREVER Single Crown, LOL!!!

                        Caye

                        http://mail.yahoo.com