Re: [Slovak-World] Driving

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
      W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
      admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
      Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via the
      D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
      highway -- you do need to watch out for those Suicide
      Lane creators -- but if you know they're there, it's
      easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas stations
      (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount of
      places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
      privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just used
      and give you more info.

      Caye

      --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

      > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
      > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova
      > Ves? I know it
      > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest
      > stops? Any info would
      > >be appreciated.
      >

      > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you
      > leaving?
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • ssultonia
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
        Julie,
        I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
        most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
        to go.
        Bill

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

        > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
        > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
        > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
        > >be appreciated.
        >

        > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?
        >
        > Julie Michutka
        > jmm@...

      • ssultonia
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
          Caye,
          Thanks very much. Sounds like you had a great time. I just want to
          get from Blava to SNV on the most direct route and via best highways.
          I don't have any good maps right now but I will certainly pick one up
          as soon as we get into Blava.
          Bill
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

          > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
          > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
          > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via the
          > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
          > highway -- you do need to watch out for those Suicide
          > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there, it's
          > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas stations
          > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount of
          > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
          > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just used
          > and give you more info.
          >

          > Caye
          >

          > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:
          >
          > > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
          > > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova
          > > Ves? I know it
          > > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest
          > > stops? Any info would
          > > >be appreciated.
          > >

          > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you
          > > leaving?
          > >
          > > Julie Michutka
          > > jmm@...

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Sven Thomschewski
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
            Take a map from VKU, that one called "Podrobny/Autoatlas - Slovenska
            Republika(1:100.000). Thats the best map you can get. The Tesco Hypermarkets
            have that map.

            Actually It's a new version of this map released for 2006. I got that one.
            The map is in english, too. Costs maybe 319 SKK.

            Sven

            _____

            --- In Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

            > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
            > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
            > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via the
            > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
            > highway -- you do need to watch out for those Suicide
            > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there, it's
            > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas stations
            > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount of
            > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
            > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just used
            > and give you more info.
            >

            > Caye
            >

            > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:
            >
            > > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
            > > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova
            > > Ves? I know it
            > > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest
            > > stops? Any info would
            > > >be appreciated.
            > >

            > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you
            > > leaving?
            > >
            > > Julie Michutka
            > > jmm@...

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
              I'll check when I get home tonight -- I purchased a
              few great atlases/maps at the first filling station we
              arrived at, just east of the border crossing in
              Bratislava -- I did have fun, and I'm sure you will
              too -- helps to have a navigator tell the driver where
              to turn, it would be difficult to read a map and drive
              too -- also a tip, instead of watching for your route
              number on the signs, figure out the city that route
              ends in -- and look for that sign, then to confirm you
              are on the appropriate route, have someone in the car
              watch for the teeny, tiny black route numbers along
              the right-hand side of the road. You'll keep missing
              the turns if you watch only for the route numbers.

              Caye

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • J. Michutka
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                At 07:37 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                >Julie,
                > I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
                >most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
                >to go.
                >Bill

                I have an extra Podrobny Auto Atlas from 2002 that I'd be happy to send
                you. It is slightly out of date (some new highways/construction), but it
                will do you until you find a new 2006 one (it took us a few days to get a
                new one). Only condition is, if you do end up getting a new one, you
                eventually pass the older one on to someone else who can use it (even if it
                becomes really out-of-date for driving, which I don't foresee, it's
                detailed enough to be great for genealogy).

                If you'd like it, email me (jmm@...) and I'll pop it in the mail
                tomorrow; it should get to you in time.

                OH!-- I keep forgetting to mention this when we talk about driving in
                Slovakia--they don't have yellow lines down the center of the road like we
                do, to indicate separation of lanes of opposing directions of traffic--it's
                just white lines. It kept bugging me, 'cause to us it looks like it's just
                separating lanes going in the same direction.

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...
              • ssultonia
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                  Sven,
                  Thanks. Good info and I will certainly look for that map.
                  Bill
                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Thomschewski"
                  <sven.thomschewski@...> wrote:

                  > Take a map from VKU, that one called "Podrobny/Autoatlas - Slovenska
                  > Republika(1:100.000). Thats the best map you can get. The Tesco
                  Hypermarkets
                  > have that map.
                  >
                  > Actually It's a new version of this map released for 2006. I got
                  that one.
                  > The map is in english, too. Costs maybe 319 SKK.
                  >

                  > Sven
                  >

                  > _____

                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                    one problem i have driving in slovakia = when a turn is indicated - it isn't always right away but usually a good ways ahead

                    glad you had a great trip Caye

                    helene

                    --- ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote:

                    > Caye,
                    > Thanks very much. Sounds like you had a great
                    > time. I just want to
                    > get from Blava to SNV on the most direct route and
                    > via best highways.
                    > I don't have any good maps right now but I will
                    > certainly pick one up
                    > as soon as we get into Blava.
                    > Bill
                    > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick
                    > <ccaswick@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
                    > > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
                    > > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via
                    > the
                    > > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
                    > > highway -- you do need to watch out for those
                    > Suicide
                    > > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there,
                    > it's
                    > > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas
                    > stations
                    > > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount
                    > of
                    > > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
                    > > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just
                    > used
                    > > and give you more info.
                    > >

                    > > Caye
                    > >

                    > > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

                    > Nova
                    > > > Ves? I know it
                    > > > stops? Any info would
                    > > >

                    > > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are
                    > you
                    > > > leaving?
                    > > >
                    > > > Julie Michutka
                    > > > jmm@...

                    > protection around
                    > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                      Be aware there is a lot of construction and delays on the major highway - around Povaske Bystrica also on a lot of other roads - will be great when all done but allow time for that

                      helene

                      ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote:
                      Julie,
                      I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
                      most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
                      to go.
                      Bill

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

                      > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                      > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
                      > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
                      > >be appreciated.
                      >

                      > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?
                      >
                      > Julie Michutka
                      > jmm@...

                    • helene cincebeaux
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                        hi all = got a request for a wedding capping song - does anyone know where a cd with the song can be obtained = Greg can you help

                        wedding is in early september

                        helene

                      • Caye Caswick
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 17, 2006
                          It was fabulous, good hearing from you Helene -- also,
                          when you get time after you return and dig out from
                          under, let's discuss the Parta/Parte -- the fancy
                          crowns single girls wear with their Kroj -- I'm
                          interested in learning more and maybe making one
                          representative of my gram's village -- which I plan to
                          entitle . . .

                          Caye's FOREVER Single Crown, LOL!!!

                          Caye

                          http://mail.yahoo.com