AW: [Slovak-World] Driving

  • Sven Thomschewski
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
      From bratislava till Povazka Bystrica is it Highway(E 75). Then it's
      motorway, but sometimes it's a highway. For example between Zilina and
      Liptovsky Mikulas.

      Drive carefully

      Sven

      _____

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
        W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
        admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
        Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via the
        D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
        highway -- you do need to watch out for those Suicide
        Lane creators -- but if you know they're there, it's
        easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas stations
        (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount of
        places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
        privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just used
        and give you more info.

        Caye

        --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

        > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
        > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova
        > Ves? I know it
        > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest
        > stops? Any info would
        > >be appreciated.
        >

        > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you
        > leaving?
        >
        > Julie Michutka
        > jmm@...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • ssultonia
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
          Julie,
          I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
          most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
          to go.
          Bill

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

          > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
          > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
          > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
          > >be appreciated.
          >

          > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?
          >
          > Julie Michutka
          > jmm@...

        • ssultonia
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
            Caye,
            Thanks very much. Sounds like you had a great time. I just want to
            get from Blava to SNV on the most direct route and via best highways.
            I don't have any good maps right now but I will certainly pick one up
            as soon as we get into Blava.
            Bill
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

            > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
            > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
            > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via the
            > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
            > highway -- you do need to watch out for those Suicide
            > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there, it's
            > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas stations
            > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount of
            > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
            > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just used
            > and give you more info.
            >

            > Caye
            >

            > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:
            >
            > > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
            > > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova
            > > Ves? I know it
            > > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest
            > > stops? Any info would
            > > >be appreciated.
            > >

            > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you
            > > leaving?
            > >
            > > Julie Michutka
            > > jmm@...

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Sven Thomschewski
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
              Take a map from VKU, that one called "Podrobny/Autoatlas - Slovenska
              Republika(1:100.000). Thats the best map you can get. The Tesco Hypermarkets
              have that map.

              Actually It's a new version of this map released for 2006. I got that one.
              The map is in english, too. Costs maybe 319 SKK.

              Sven

              _____

              --- In Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

              > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
              > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
              > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via the
              > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
              > highway -- you do need to watch out for those Suicide
              > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there, it's
              > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas stations
              > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount of
              > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
              > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just used
              > and give you more info.
              >

              > Caye
              >

              > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:
              >
              > > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
              > > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova
              > > Ves? I know it
              > > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest
              > > stops? Any info would
              > > >be appreciated.
              > >

              > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you
              > > leaving?
              > >
              > > Julie Michutka
              > > jmm@...

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                I'll check when I get home tonight -- I purchased a
                few great atlases/maps at the first filling station we
                arrived at, just east of the border crossing in
                Bratislava -- I did have fun, and I'm sure you will
                too -- helps to have a navigator tell the driver where
                to turn, it would be difficult to read a map and drive
                too -- also a tip, instead of watching for your route
                number on the signs, figure out the city that route
                ends in -- and look for that sign, then to confirm you
                are on the appropriate route, have someone in the car
                watch for the teeny, tiny black route numbers along
                the right-hand side of the road. You'll keep missing
                the turns if you watch only for the route numbers.

                Caye

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • J. Michutka
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                  At 07:37 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                  >Julie,
                  > I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
                  >most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
                  >to go.
                  >Bill

                  I have an extra Podrobny Auto Atlas from 2002 that I'd be happy to send
                  you. It is slightly out of date (some new highways/construction), but it
                  will do you until you find a new 2006 one (it took us a few days to get a
                  new one). Only condition is, if you do end up getting a new one, you
                  eventually pass the older one on to someone else who can use it (even if it
                  becomes really out-of-date for driving, which I don't foresee, it's
                  detailed enough to be great for genealogy).

                  If you'd like it, email me (jmm@...) and I'll pop it in the mail
                  tomorrow; it should get to you in time.

                  OH!-- I keep forgetting to mention this when we talk about driving in
                  Slovakia--they don't have yellow lines down the center of the road like we
                  do, to indicate separation of lanes of opposing directions of traffic--it's
                  just white lines. It kept bugging me, 'cause to us it looks like it's just
                  separating lanes going in the same direction.

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...
                • ssultonia
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                    Sven,
                    Thanks. Good info and I will certainly look for that map.
                    Bill
                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Thomschewski"
                    <sven.thomschewski@...> wrote:

                    > Take a map from VKU, that one called "Podrobny/Autoatlas - Slovenska
                    > Republika(1:100.000). Thats the best map you can get. The Tesco
                    Hypermarkets
                    > have that map.
                    >
                    > Actually It's a new version of this map released for 2006. I got
                    that one.
                    > The map is in english, too. Costs maybe 319 SKK.
                    >

                    > Sven
                    >

                    > _____

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                      one problem i have driving in slovakia = when a turn is indicated - it isn't always right away but usually a good ways ahead

                      glad you had a great trip Caye

                      helene

                      --- ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote:

                      > Caye,
                      > Thanks very much. Sounds like you had a great
                      > time. I just want to
                      > get from Blava to SNV on the most direct route and
                      > via best highways.
                      > I don't have any good maps right now but I will
                      > certainly pick one up
                      > as soon as we get into Blava.
                      > Bill
                      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick
                      > <ccaswick@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
                      > > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
                      > > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via
                      > the
                      > > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
                      > > highway -- you do need to watch out for those
                      > Suicide
                      > > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there,
                      > it's
                      > > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas
                      > stations
                      > > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount
                      > of
                      > > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
                      > > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just
                      > used
                      > > and give you more info.
                      > >

                      > > Caye
                      > >

                      > > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

                      > Nova
                      > > > Ves? I know it
                      > > > stops? Any info would
                      > > >

                      > > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are
                      > you
                      > > > leaving?
                      > > >
                      > > > Julie Michutka
                      > > > jmm@...

                      > protection around
                      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • helene cincebeaux
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                        Be aware there is a lot of construction and delays on the major highway - around Povaske Bystrica also on a lot of other roads - will be great when all done but allow time for that

                        helene

                        ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote:
                        Julie,
                        I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
                        most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
                        to go.
                        Bill

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

                        > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                        > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
                        > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
                        > >be appreciated.
                        >

                        > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?
                        >
                        > Julie Michutka
                        > jmm@...

                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                          hi all = got a request for a wedding capping song - does anyone know where a cd with the song can be obtained = Greg can you help

                          wedding is in early september

                          helene

                        • Caye Caswick
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 17, 2006
                            It was fabulous, good hearing from you Helene -- also,
                            when you get time after you return and dig out from
                            under, let's discuss the Parta/Parte -- the fancy
                            crowns single girls wear with their Kroj -- I'm
                            interested in learning more and maybe making one
                            representative of my gram's village -- which I plan to
                            entitle . . .

                            Caye's FOREVER Single Crown, LOL!!!

                            Caye

                            http://mail.yahoo.com