Driving

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
      How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
      takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
      be appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Bill
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
        At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
        >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
        >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
        >be appreciated.

        Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • Sven Thomschewski
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
          From bratislava till Povazka Bystrica is it Highway(E 75). Then it's
          motorway, but sometimes it's a highway. For example between Zilina and
          Liptovsky Mikulas.

          Drive carefully

          Sven

          _____

          >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
          >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
          >be appreciated.

          Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@pathbridge. <mailto:jmm%40pathbridge.net> net

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
            W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
            admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
            Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via the
            D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
            highway -- you do need to watch out for those Suicide
            Lane creators -- but if you know they're there, it's
            easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas stations
            (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount of
            places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
            privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just used
            and give you more info.

            Caye

            --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

            > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
            > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova
            > Ves? I know it
            > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest
            > stops? Any info would
            > >be appreciated.
            >

            > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you
            > leaving?
            >
            > Julie Michutka
            > jmm@...

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • ssultonia
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
              Julie,
              I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
              most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
              to go.
              Bill

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

              > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
              > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
              > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
              > >be appreciated.
              >

              > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?
              >
              > Julie Michutka
              > jmm@...

            • ssultonia
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                Caye,
                Thanks very much. Sounds like you had a great time. I just want to
                get from Blava to SNV on the most direct route and via best highways.
                I don't have any good maps right now but I will certainly pick one up
                as soon as we get into Blava.
                Bill
                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
                > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
                > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via the
                > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
                > highway -- you do need to watch out for those Suicide
                > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there, it's
                > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas stations
                > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount of
                > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
                > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just used
                > and give you more info.
                >

                > Caye
                >

                > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:
                >
                > > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                > > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova
                > > Ves? I know it
                > > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest
                > > stops? Any info would
                > > >be appreciated.
                > >

                > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you
                > > leaving?
                > >
                > > Julie Michutka
                > > jmm@...

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Sven Thomschewski
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                  Take a map from VKU, that one called "Podrobny/Autoatlas - Slovenska
                  Republika(1:100.000). Thats the best map you can get. The Tesco Hypermarkets
                  have that map.

                  Actually It's a new version of this map released for 2006. I got that one.
                  The map is in english, too. Costs maybe 319 SKK.

                  Sven

                  _____

                  --- In Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
                  yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                  > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
                  > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
                  > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via the
                  > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
                  > highway -- you do need to watch out for those Suicide
                  > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there, it's
                  > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas stations
                  > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount of
                  > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
                  > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just used
                  > and give you more info.
                  >

                  > Caye
                  >

                  > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                  > > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova
                  > > Ves? I know it
                  > > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest
                  > > stops? Any info would
                  > > >be appreciated.
                  > >

                  > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you
                  > > leaving?
                  > >
                  > > Julie Michutka
                  > > jmm@...

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                    I'll check when I get home tonight -- I purchased a
                    few great atlases/maps at the first filling station we
                    arrived at, just east of the border crossing in
                    Bratislava -- I did have fun, and I'm sure you will
                    too -- helps to have a navigator tell the driver where
                    to turn, it would be difficult to read a map and drive
                    too -- also a tip, instead of watching for your route
                    number on the signs, figure out the city that route
                    ends in -- and look for that sign, then to confirm you
                    are on the appropriate route, have someone in the car
                    watch for the teeny, tiny black route numbers along
                    the right-hand side of the road. You'll keep missing
                    the turns if you watch only for the route numbers.

                    Caye

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • J. Michutka
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                      At 07:37 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                      >Julie,
                      > I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
                      >most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
                      >to go.
                      >Bill

                      I have an extra Podrobny Auto Atlas from 2002 that I'd be happy to send
                      you. It is slightly out of date (some new highways/construction), but it
                      will do you until you find a new 2006 one (it took us a few days to get a
                      new one). Only condition is, if you do end up getting a new one, you
                      eventually pass the older one on to someone else who can use it (even if it
                      becomes really out-of-date for driving, which I don't foresee, it's
                      detailed enough to be great for genealogy).

                      If you'd like it, email me (jmm@...) and I'll pop it in the mail
                      tomorrow; it should get to you in time.

                      OH!-- I keep forgetting to mention this when we talk about driving in
                      Slovakia--they don't have yellow lines down the center of the road like we
                      do, to indicate separation of lanes of opposing directions of traffic--it's
                      just white lines. It kept bugging me, 'cause to us it looks like it's just
                      separating lanes going in the same direction.

                      Julie Michutka
                      jmm@...
                    • ssultonia
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                        Sven,
                        Thanks. Good info and I will certainly look for that map.
                        Bill
                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Thomschewski"
                        <sven.thomschewski@...> wrote:

                        > Take a map from VKU, that one called "Podrobny/Autoatlas - Slovenska
                        > Republika(1:100.000). Thats the best map you can get. The Tesco
                        Hypermarkets
                        > have that map.
                        >
                        > Actually It's a new version of this map released for 2006. I got
                        that one.
                        > The map is in english, too. Costs maybe 319 SKK.
                        >

                        > Sven
                        >

                        > _____

                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                          one problem i have driving in slovakia = when a turn is indicated - it isn't always right away but usually a good ways ahead

                          glad you had a great trip Caye

                          helene

                          --- ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote:

                          > Caye,
                          > Thanks very much. Sounds like you had a great
                          > time. I just want to
                          > get from Blava to SNV on the most direct route and
                          > via best highways.
                          > I don't have any good maps right now but I will
                          > certainly pick one up
                          > as soon as we get into Blava.
                          > Bill
                          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick
                          > <ccaswick@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > W/o pulling out my atlas and looking -- which I'll
                          > > admit I should do first -- but we just drove from
                          > > Vienna/Bratislava all across northern Slovakia via
                          > the
                          > > D1 to the Tatra Mountains -- and it was FABULOUS
                          > > highway -- you do need to watch out for those
                          > Suicide
                          > > Lane creators -- but if you know they're there,
                          > it's
                          > > easy to spot them -- otherwise lots of gas
                          > stations
                          > > (watch for the yellow flags) and a descent amount
                          > of
                          > > places to stop/rest. If you'd like to contact me
                          > > privately I'll pull out the maps/atlases we just
                          > used
                          > > and give you more info.
                          > >

                          > > Caye
                          > >

                          > > --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

                          > Nova
                          > > > Ves? I know it
                          > > > stops? Any info would
                          > > >

                          > > > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are
                          > you
                          > > > leaving?
                          > > >
                          > > > Julie Michutka
                          > > > jmm@...

                          > protection around
                          > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                            Be aware there is a lot of construction and delays on the major highway - around Povaske Bystrica also on a lot of other roads - will be great when all done but allow time for that

                            helene

                            ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote:
                            Julie,
                            I would be leaving on 25 August. As for the route - whatever the
                            most direct, best highway between Blava and SNV is the way I would like
                            to go.
                            Bill

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

                            > At 06:10 PM 8/16/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                            > >How is the road between Bratislava and Spisska Nova Ves? I know it
                            > >takes 3-4 hours. Is it mostly motorway? Rest stops? Any info would
                            > >be appreciated.
                            >

                            > Bill, what route are you taking, and when are you leaving?
                            >
                            > Julie Michutka
                            > jmm@...

                          • helene cincebeaux
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                              hi all = got a request for a wedding capping song - does anyone know where a cd with the song can be obtained = Greg can you help

                              wedding is in early september

                              helene

                            • Caye Caswick
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 17, 2006
                                It was fabulous, good hearing from you Helene -- also,
                                when you get time after you return and dig out from
                                under, let's discuss the Parta/Parte -- the fancy
                                crowns single girls wear with their Kroj -- I'm
                                interested in learning more and maybe making one
                                representative of my gram's village -- which I plan to
                                entitle . . .

                                Caye's FOREVER Single Crown, LOL!!!

                                Caye

                                http://mail.yahoo.com