Re: Gifts

  • andreialexiev
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2006
      -My understanding is that bread and salt are presented by the hosts,
      this is an ancient Slavic custom.Also it's done by the parents of
      the bride after the wedding welcoming the couple into the home.At's
      least that's how it was when my wife and I were married in 1975, her
      parents were decased, so her aunt and uncle acted as
      substitutes.Also in the Russian Orthodox church, the visiting bishop
      is greeted at the door of the church with bread and salt.Fr.Andrei--
      In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "ssultonia" <ssultonia@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Paul. Perhaps I should have provided more detail. I lived in
      > Western Europe for 12 years off and on and have visited many
      times. I
      > have been in and out of Europe for nearly 40 years so I'm well
      > acquainted with the "ugly American" syndrome and pleased to say if
      > ever had it - I shed it over 30 or 40 years ago. My question was
      > really directed at those who have had "boots on the ground" in
      > Slovakia and any unique customs or courtesy that I might not be
      aware of.
      > Regards,
      > Bill
      >
      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Bill,
      > >
      > > I've never been to Slovakia, and I don't wish to offend you,
      but
      > the people there are probably as much in tune with the news as we
      are.
      > Considering the situation in the world, there's not a lot you can
      > carry with you aside of the baggage that will be well-sifted.
      > >
      > > My, probably useless, advice is to be yourself. If you can,
      > when you get there, try to find a bakery to get a loaf of bread and
      > some salt as, I'm told, is a symbol of friendship. Nobody will
      think
      > you are cheap. Worst thing you can do is spend a lot of bucks and
      be
      > viewed as an "Ugly American".
      > >
      > > Hey, I could be wrong - just adding my two cents.
      > >
      > > Paul W.

      I never
      > > really got a good feeling for what is appropriate. So as not
      to start
      > > a long discourse on the Group, it might be better to answer me
      > direct at
      > >
      > > genman50@
      > >
      > > I will be in Slovkia in 2 weeks time. Because of the new
      airline
      > > restrictions on liquids, etc., my original plans have "dried
      up" so to
      > > speak. I will be visiting a very good "email" friend and his
      family
      > > (wife and two teen age daughters)and I owe him lots of favors
      for
      > > helping me with my genealogy, etc. He already has a Tampa Bay
      Stanley
      > > Cup tee-shirt! He is not a relative. The other family I will
      visit
      > > might be distant relations, we just don't know for sure. I
      have never
      > > met them although we have exchanged a few emails. This is a
      son and
      > > his wife 25-35y.o. is my guess, father and mother in 70's and
      an Aunt
      > > who speaks English and I'm guessing is 60-70's. I am
      particularly
      > > concerned about visiting them at their house and taking
      something
      > > appropriate. The son and daughter in law have lived in Canada
      off and
      > > on and another son lives in New York state.
      > > When I visit I would like to take an appropriate gift without
      > > appearing ostentatious and/or a cheapskate. I'm open for any
      > > suggestions. I have lived in Western Europe and I know wine and
      > > flowers are always acceptable. Is there anything unique about
      Slovak
      > > customs that I should be alert to? Oh - they are all in the
      Kosice