Re: Gifts

  • mdndmdnd
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2006
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "ssultonia" <ssultonia@...>
      wrote:

      > This question is for those of you who have spent a considerable
      > amount of time in Slovakia and know the culture and customs well. I
      > know this topic has been beaten to death a number of times but I
      never
      > really got a good feeling for what is appropriate. So as not to
      start
      > a long discourse on the Group, it might be better to answer me
      direct at

      > genman50@...
      >
      > I will be in Slovkia in 2 weeks time. Because of the new airline
      > restrictions on liquids, etc., my original plans have "dried up"
      so to
      > speak. I will be visiting a very good "email" friend and his
      family
      > (wife and two teen age daughters)and I owe him lots of favors for
      > helping me with my genealogy, etc. He already has a Tampa Bay
      Stanley
      > Cup tee-shirt! He is not a relative. The other family I will visit
      > might be distant relations, we just don't know for sure. I have
      never
      > met them although we have exchanged a few emails. This is a son and
      > his wife 25-35y.o. is my guess, father and mother in 70's and an
      Aunt
      > who speaks English and I'm guessing is 60-70's. I am particularly
      > concerned about visiting them at their house and taking something
      > appropriate. The son and daughter in law have lived in Canada off
      and
      > on and another son lives in New York state.
      > When I visit I would like to take an appropriate gift without
      > appearing ostentatious and/or a cheapskate. I'm open for any
      > suggestions. I have lived in Western Europe and I know wine and
      > flowers are always acceptable. Is there anything unique about
      Slovak
      > customs that I should be alert to? Oh - they are all in the Kosice
      area.
      > Thanks,
      > Bill

      My cousin and I travelled to Kosice/Fulianka last November for 8
      days. Our cousins took us all over the country, and we visited many
      beautiful places. We we treated like royalty.

      As for gifts, here is what worked for us:

      >Teenage girls like perfume, jewelery, American clothing
      >Adult men like wine, good whiskey
      >Adult women like jewelry, nice clothing

      Use your e-mail and ask them what they would want or need. Our
      people were very direct/open with us about everything. Try to find
      out what is important in their lives.

      Find our if they are religious people. If so, bring the females
      crosses, religious pictures, icons (our relatives are Greek
      Catholic). For the winter, gloves, sweaters, caps, hats, scarves
      would probably be appreciated. The kids like things with USA
      printed on them. Books/travel magazines about where you live would
      be of interest. Most of these people are not deprived, they have
      malls and many places to shop, although many do not make a lot of
      money.

      American stuff goes over well, items with USA, America, logos such
      as Nike, etc. They know. It is a sign of etiquette to arrive with
      something in hand. Do not be surprised if they have some nice
      things for you, as well. Plan to shop, and be sure to bring back
      painted plates/crystal/jewelery. Pack your returning items in your
      dirty clothes in your suitcases. We did, and nothing was broken.
      In fact, we had so much stuff, that my cousin had to buy another
      suitcase. Look into having larger breakable items shipped back to
      you by the store, or mail it back yourself.

      If you think that you did not give these people enough, in light of
      the gifts they gave you, the time they spent with you, the meals and
      lodging you received, "make up the difference" at Christmastime.
      Just be sure to mail everything at least 3-4 weeks before Christmas
      Day. When you return, you will know what to buy, I assure you.
      My cousin took a lot of silver dollars to offer to kids and various
      people we met during the course of our travels. We had a lot of
      sock caps/gloves with USA logos that we handed out as well. The
      silver dollars are great, since you can pack them around in your
      pocket.

      If you wish to call me, I can PM my phone number to you.

      Mike
    • ssultonia
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2006
        Thanks Paul. Perhaps I should have provided more detail. I lived in
        Western Europe for 12 years off and on and have visited many times. I
        have been in and out of Europe for nearly 40 years so I'm well
        acquainted with the "ugly American" syndrome and pleased to say if I
        ever had it - I shed it over 30 or 40 years ago. My question was
        really directed at those who have had "boots on the ground" in
        Slovakia and any unique customs or courtesy that I might not be aware of.
        Regards,
        Bill

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote:

        > Bill,
        >
        > I've never been to Slovakia, and I don't wish to offend you, but
        the people there are probably as much in tune with the news as we are.
        Considering the situation in the world, there's not a lot you can
        carry with you aside of the baggage that will be well-sifted.

        > My, probably useless, advice is to be yourself. If you can,
        when you get there, try to find a bakery to get a loaf of bread and
        some salt as, I'm told, is a symbol of friendship. Nobody will think
        you are cheap. Worst thing you can do is spend a lot of bucks and be
        viewed as an "Ugly American".

        > Hey, I could be wrong - just adding my two cents.
        >
        > Paul W.

      • andreialexiev
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2006
          -My understanding is that bread and salt are presented by the hosts,
          this is an ancient Slavic custom.Also it's done by the parents of
          the bride after the wedding welcoming the couple into the home.At's
          least that's how it was when my wife and I were married in 1975, her
          parents were decased, so her aunt and uncle acted as
          substitutes.Also in the Russian Orthodox church, the visiting bishop
          is greeted at the door of the church with bread and salt.Fr.Andrei--