Re: [Slovak-World] new edition of Slovak language textbook

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
      At 01:09 PM 8/4/2006 -0700, you wrote:
      >Thanks for posting the info on "Slovak For You" by Ada Bohmenova. It is
      >currently available on Amazon.com both new & used in paperback, The
      >selling price listed ranged from $27 to $31 plus shipping.

      That's an earlier edition; new edition is published 2006, and the cover is
      blue.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Joe Armata
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2006
        I've heard from a friend who will be going with her family to Liptov in
        early September. Any advice on a hotel to stay at? They'll be visiting
        Liptovska Luzna/Revuce/Osada and the Martin ethnographic museum and hoped
        there were good accommodations somewhere not too far off that wouldn't be
        too expensive. They don't speak Slovak and are a bit apprehensive. Thanks
        for any tips!

        Joe Armata
      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
          At 10:04 PM 8/5/2006 -0400, you wrote:
          >I've heard from a friend who will be going with her family to Liptov in
          >early September. Any advice on a hotel to stay at? They'll be visiting
          >Liptovska Luzna/Revuce/Osada and the Martin ethnographic museum and hoped
          >there were good accommodations somewhere not too far off that wouldn't be
          >too expensive. They don't speak Slovak and are a bit apprehensive. Thanks
          > for any tips!

          Hi Joe,

          Boy, the list is quiet! I hope you got some replies off-list, but in case
          you didn't, here's my 2 cents.

          We stayed in Martin at the Penzion Cierna Pani
          (http://www.penzion-cierna-pani.sk/). The location is great--easy to get
          to when driving into/out of Martin, within walking distance of the city
          square and the museum (maybe a 15 minute walk to the museum). Parking in
          the penzion's own lot behind the penzion, plus there's on-street parking in
          front. Room was spacious, clean, lovely. Restaurant in the penzion. But
          the staff speaks very little English. One night cost us 1100 SK (about
          $36); I don't remember if they take credit cards, I paid cash.

          We stayed at penzions a few times. Some I picked out of the guidebook and
          looked at their website and emailed them before the trip; I think one I
          found by doing a Google search, and put the town name and the words
          "Slovakia", "hotel" and "penzion" in the search box. Then look at the
          website, and email them and ask if the staff speaks English.

          In the past I've been an advocate of winging it in Slovakia when it comes
          to making reservations; and wouldn't you know it, this time, the one night
          I didn't have a reservation for, I couldn't find a single hotel or penzion
          room in the city of my choice (Zilina). Fortunately, I was less than an
          hour from my grandparents' village, and called the hotel there, which had a
          room available. But it meant that we didn't get our hoped-for time in
          Zilina. So now I say, have a back-up plan! And for your friends who are
          apprehensive, they're best off making reservations for each night. I think
          it's hard to travel in Slovakia if you don't know any Slovak or German (do
          they know German?).

          Best of luck to them in making their plans; I'm sure they'll love Slovakia!

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
            Joe,
            Last year I stayed at the Hotel Turiec <http://accommodation.travelslovakia.sk/accommodation-in-hotel-turiec-martin.php?accommodation=turiec>. (You gotta love the English on their website.) My room was remodelled, simple, clean, comfortable, and quite reasonably priced. I dealt with them in Slovak, but I believe they had staff who could speak a passable English too. Their location was very convenient as well.

            There was also a very good restaurant on the main square (on the left side heading away from the hotel, about half way down or so) and a nice Internet cafe (i.e. non-smokey).

            >>> jmm@... 08/07/06 2:47 PM >>>