Re: [Slovak-World] new edition of Slovak language textbook

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
      At 12:02 PM 8/4/2006 -0500, you wrote:
      >Julie,
      >
      >On behalf of the three or four of us interested souls, thanks for the
      >info. Keep us updated on what you find out. I will be monitoring the
      >websites and see what is available. Out of curiousity, how much did the
      >book cost in Bratislava?

      499 crowns. About $16.50. You can bet it will cost more here.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Chuck Vrshek
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
        Thanks for posting the info on "Slovak For You" by Ada Bohmenova. It is currently available on Amazon.com both new & used in paperback, The selling price listed ranged from $27 to $31 plus shipping. Sounds like an ok deal, considering the pricing of most language books these days. Thanks Julie. /// Chuck Vrshek, Marietta GA

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
          At 01:09 PM 8/4/2006 -0700, you wrote:
          >Thanks for posting the info on "Slovak For You" by Ada Bohmenova. It is
          >currently available on Amazon.com both new & used in paperback, The
          >selling price listed ranged from $27 to $31 plus shipping.

          That's an earlier edition; new edition is published 2006, and the cover is
          blue.

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • Joe Armata
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2006
            I've heard from a friend who will be going with her family to Liptov in
            early September. Any advice on a hotel to stay at? They'll be visiting
            Liptovska Luzna/Revuce/Osada and the Martin ethnographic museum and hoped
            there were good accommodations somewhere not too far off that wouldn't be
            too expensive. They don't speak Slovak and are a bit apprehensive. Thanks
            for any tips!

            Joe Armata
          • J. Michutka
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
              At 10:04 PM 8/5/2006 -0400, you wrote:
              >I've heard from a friend who will be going with her family to Liptov in
              >early September. Any advice on a hotel to stay at? They'll be visiting
              >Liptovska Luzna/Revuce/Osada and the Martin ethnographic museum and hoped
              >there were good accommodations somewhere not too far off that wouldn't be
              >too expensive. They don't speak Slovak and are a bit apprehensive. Thanks
              > for any tips!

              Hi Joe,

              Boy, the list is quiet! I hope you got some replies off-list, but in case
              you didn't, here's my 2 cents.

              We stayed in Martin at the Penzion Cierna Pani
              (http://www.penzion-cierna-pani.sk/). The location is great--easy to get
              to when driving into/out of Martin, within walking distance of the city
              square and the museum (maybe a 15 minute walk to the museum). Parking in
              the penzion's own lot behind the penzion, plus there's on-street parking in
              front. Room was spacious, clean, lovely. Restaurant in the penzion. But
              the staff speaks very little English. One night cost us 1100 SK (about
              $36); I don't remember if they take credit cards, I paid cash.

              We stayed at penzions a few times. Some I picked out of the guidebook and
              looked at their website and emailed them before the trip; I think one I
              found by doing a Google search, and put the town name and the words
              "Slovakia", "hotel" and "penzion" in the search box. Then look at the
              website, and email them and ask if the staff speaks English.

              In the past I've been an advocate of winging it in Slovakia when it comes
              to making reservations; and wouldn't you know it, this time, the one night
              I didn't have a reservation for, I couldn't find a single hotel or penzion
              room in the city of my choice (Zilina). Fortunately, I was less than an
              hour from my grandparents' village, and called the hotel there, which had a
              room available. But it meant that we didn't get our hoped-for time in
              Zilina. So now I say, have a back-up plan! And for your friends who are
              apprehensive, they're best off making reservations for each night. I think
              it's hard to travel in Slovakia if you don't know any Slovak or German (do
              they know German?).

              Best of luck to them in making their plans; I'm sure they'll love Slovakia!

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
                Joe,
                Last year I stayed at the Hotel Turiec <http://accommodation.travelslovakia.sk/accommodation-in-hotel-turiec-martin.php?accommodation=turiec>. (You gotta love the English on their website.) My room was remodelled, simple, clean, comfortable, and quite reasonably priced. I dealt with them in Slovak, but I believe they had staff who could speak a passable English too. Their location was very convenient as well.

                There was also a very good restaurant on the main square (on the left side heading away from the hotel, about half way down or so) and a nice Internet cafe (i.e. non-smokey).

                >>> jmm@... 08/07/06 2:47 PM >>>