Re: [Slovak-World] new edition of Slovak language textbook

  • Linda Hartlaub
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
      Julie,

      On behalf of the three or four of us interested souls, thanks for the info. Keep us updated on what you find out. I will be monitoring the websites and see what is available. Out of curiousity, how much did the book cost in Bratislava?

      Linda

    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
        At 12:02 PM 8/4/2006 -0500, you wrote:
        >Julie,
        >
        >On behalf of the three or four of us interested souls, thanks for the
        >info. Keep us updated on what you find out. I will be monitoring the
        >websites and see what is available. Out of curiousity, how much did the
        >book cost in Bratislava?

        499 crowns. About $16.50. You can bet it will cost more here.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • Chuck Vrshek
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
          Thanks for posting the info on "Slovak For You" by Ada Bohmenova. It is currently available on Amazon.com both new & used in paperback, The selling price listed ranged from $27 to $31 plus shipping. Sounds like an ok deal, considering the pricing of most language books these days. Thanks Julie. /// Chuck Vrshek, Marietta GA

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
            At 01:09 PM 8/4/2006 -0700, you wrote:
            >Thanks for posting the info on "Slovak For You" by Ada Bohmenova. It is
            >currently available on Amazon.com both new & used in paperback, The
            >selling price listed ranged from $27 to $31 plus shipping.

            That's an earlier edition; new edition is published 2006, and the cover is
            blue.

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...
          • Joe Armata
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2006
              I've heard from a friend who will be going with her family to Liptov in
              early September. Any advice on a hotel to stay at? They'll be visiting
              Liptovska Luzna/Revuce/Osada and the Martin ethnographic museum and hoped
              there were good accommodations somewhere not too far off that wouldn't be
              too expensive. They don't speak Slovak and are a bit apprehensive. Thanks
              for any tips!

              Joe Armata
            • J. Michutka
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
                At 10:04 PM 8/5/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                >I've heard from a friend who will be going with her family to Liptov in
                >early September. Any advice on a hotel to stay at? They'll be visiting
                >Liptovska Luzna/Revuce/Osada and the Martin ethnographic museum and hoped
                >there were good accommodations somewhere not too far off that wouldn't be
                >too expensive. They don't speak Slovak and are a bit apprehensive. Thanks
                > for any tips!

                Hi Joe,

                Boy, the list is quiet! I hope you got some replies off-list, but in case
                you didn't, here's my 2 cents.

                We stayed in Martin at the Penzion Cierna Pani
                (http://www.penzion-cierna-pani.sk/). The location is great--easy to get
                to when driving into/out of Martin, within walking distance of the city
                square and the museum (maybe a 15 minute walk to the museum). Parking in
                the penzion's own lot behind the penzion, plus there's on-street parking in
                front. Room was spacious, clean, lovely. Restaurant in the penzion. But
                the staff speaks very little English. One night cost us 1100 SK (about
                $36); I don't remember if they take credit cards, I paid cash.

                We stayed at penzions a few times. Some I picked out of the guidebook and
                looked at their website and emailed them before the trip; I think one I
                found by doing a Google search, and put the town name and the words
                "Slovakia", "hotel" and "penzion" in the search box. Then look at the
                website, and email them and ask if the staff speaks English.

                In the past I've been an advocate of winging it in Slovakia when it comes
                to making reservations; and wouldn't you know it, this time, the one night
                I didn't have a reservation for, I couldn't find a single hotel or penzion
                room in the city of my choice (Zilina). Fortunately, I was less than an
                hour from my grandparents' village, and called the hotel there, which had a
                room available. But it meant that we didn't get our hoped-for time in
                Zilina. So now I say, have a back-up plan! And for your friends who are
                apprehensive, they're best off making reservations for each night. I think
                it's hard to travel in Slovakia if you don't know any Slovak or German (do
                they know German?).

                Best of luck to them in making their plans; I'm sure they'll love Slovakia!

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
                  Joe,
                  Last year I stayed at the Hotel Turiec <http://accommodation.travelslovakia.sk/accommodation-in-hotel-turiec-martin.php?accommodation=turiec>. (You gotta love the English on their website.) My room was remodelled, simple, clean, comfortable, and quite reasonably priced. I dealt with them in Slovak, but I believe they had staff who could speak a passable English too. Their location was very convenient as well.

                  There was also a very good restaurant on the main square (on the left side heading away from the hotel, about half way down or so) and a nice Internet cafe (i.e. non-smokey).

                  >>> jmm@... 08/07/06 2:47 PM >>>