new edition of Slovak language textbook

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
      For those interested in the Slovak language:

      The textbook Slovak for You/Slovencina pre Vas by Ada Bohmerova is out
      (sort of) in a new 4th edition. I came across it in Bratislava, and bought
      it. (I have an earlier edition also.) It has been somewhat revised, and
      two new chapters have been added, covering locative and dative cases. The
      biggest drawback to this textbook to date has been that it didn't cover all
      the cases; with this expansion, it now teaches 4 of the 6 cases; I hope the
      author will continue to expand her textbook.

      The back cover of the book states "is accompanied by a CD with recordings
      of all the texts of the textbook, most of the exercises...." and a few
      other things. When I bought it, there was no CD (I think "is accompanied
      by" probably really means "available for purchase separately"). I didn't
      notice that particular info on the back of the book until I had left
      Slovakia, so I couldn't go back to the bookstore and ask about the CD; but
      I think it would have been on the shelf with the book, if there had been
      one. So I suspect the CD wasn't available yet. The book is co-published by
      Perfekt in Slovakia (www.perfekt.sk) and Bolchazy-Carducci
      (www.bolchazy.com) in the USA. Trying to hunt down the CD, I found the no
      sign of this new edition of the textbook except on Perfekt's own
      website. So I emailed Bolchazy and asked about the CD; here is the reply I
      got:
      >I am checking into this and will get back to you as soon as I have an
      >answer. Our books are in route to us but I do not know about the status
      >of the CD. Once I hear I will let you know.

      So that's my Slovak language textbook update, for the 3 or 4 of you who
      might be interested! If you have any questions about the textbook itself,
      feel free to email me. Gosh, I wonder if I have the only copy in the US....

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

    • Linda Hartlaub
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
        Julie,

        On behalf of the three or four of us interested souls, thanks for the info. Keep us updated on what you find out. I will be monitoring the websites and see what is available. Out of curiousity, how much did the book cost in Bratislava?

        Linda

      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
          At 12:02 PM 8/4/2006 -0500, you wrote:
          >Julie,
          >
          >On behalf of the three or four of us interested souls, thanks for the
          >info. Keep us updated on what you find out. I will be monitoring the
          >websites and see what is available. Out of curiousity, how much did the
          >book cost in Bratislava?

          499 crowns. About $16.50. You can bet it will cost more here.

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • Chuck Vrshek
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
            Thanks for posting the info on "Slovak For You" by Ada Bohmenova. It is currently available on Amazon.com both new & used in paperback, The selling price listed ranged from $27 to $31 plus shipping. Sounds like an ok deal, considering the pricing of most language books these days. Thanks Julie. /// Chuck Vrshek, Marietta GA

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
              At 01:09 PM 8/4/2006 -0700, you wrote:
              >Thanks for posting the info on "Slovak For You" by Ada Bohmenova. It is
              >currently available on Amazon.com both new & used in paperback, The
              >selling price listed ranged from $27 to $31 plus shipping.

              That's an earlier edition; new edition is published 2006, and the cover is
              blue.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...
            • Joe Armata
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 5, 2006
                I've heard from a friend who will be going with her family to Liptov in
                early September. Any advice on a hotel to stay at? They'll be visiting
                Liptovska Luzna/Revuce/Osada and the Martin ethnographic museum and hoped
                there were good accommodations somewhere not too far off that wouldn't be
                too expensive. They don't speak Slovak and are a bit apprehensive. Thanks
                for any tips!

                Joe Armata
              • J. Michutka
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
                  At 10:04 PM 8/5/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                  >I've heard from a friend who will be going with her family to Liptov in
                  >early September. Any advice on a hotel to stay at? They'll be visiting
                  >Liptovska Luzna/Revuce/Osada and the Martin ethnographic museum and hoped
                  >there were good accommodations somewhere not too far off that wouldn't be
                  >too expensive. They don't speak Slovak and are a bit apprehensive. Thanks
                  > for any tips!

                  Hi Joe,

                  Boy, the list is quiet! I hope you got some replies off-list, but in case
                  you didn't, here's my 2 cents.

                  We stayed in Martin at the Penzion Cierna Pani
                  (http://www.penzion-cierna-pani.sk/). The location is great--easy to get
                  to when driving into/out of Martin, within walking distance of the city
                  square and the museum (maybe a 15 minute walk to the museum). Parking in
                  the penzion's own lot behind the penzion, plus there's on-street parking in
                  front. Room was spacious, clean, lovely. Restaurant in the penzion. But
                  the staff speaks very little English. One night cost us 1100 SK (about
                  $36); I don't remember if they take credit cards, I paid cash.

                  We stayed at penzions a few times. Some I picked out of the guidebook and
                  looked at their website and emailed them before the trip; I think one I
                  found by doing a Google search, and put the town name and the words
                  "Slovakia", "hotel" and "penzion" in the search box. Then look at the
                  website, and email them and ask if the staff speaks English.

                  In the past I've been an advocate of winging it in Slovakia when it comes
                  to making reservations; and wouldn't you know it, this time, the one night
                  I didn't have a reservation for, I couldn't find a single hotel or penzion
                  room in the city of my choice (Zilina). Fortunately, I was less than an
                  hour from my grandparents' village, and called the hotel there, which had a
                  room available. But it meant that we didn't get our hoped-for time in
                  Zilina. So now I say, have a back-up plan! And for your friends who are
                  apprehensive, they're best off making reservations for each night. I think
                  it's hard to travel in Slovakia if you don't know any Slovak or German (do
                  they know German?).

                  Best of luck to them in making their plans; I'm sure they'll love Slovakia!

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 7, 2006
                    Joe,
                    Last year I stayed at the Hotel Turiec <http://accommodation.travelslovakia.sk/accommodation-in-hotel-turiec-martin.php?accommodation=turiec>. (You gotta love the English on their website.) My room was remodelled, simple, clean, comfortable, and quite reasonably priced. I dealt with them in Slovak, but I believe they had staff who could speak a passable English too. Their location was very convenient as well.

                    There was also a very good restaurant on the main square (on the left side heading away from the hotel, about half way down or so) and a nice Internet cafe (i.e. non-smokey).

                    >>> jmm@... 08/07/06 2:47 PM >>>