Re: [Slovak-World] Slovakia this n that

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006

      >Canola oil isn't a a petroleum substitute--it's edible. It's one of the
      >healthy cooking oils.

      Yep, I know, I use it all the time; that and olive oil. But it is also
      being used as a petroleum substitute, and that's what one of the Slovaks
      told us it was being raised for in Slovakia.

      There are a few businesses here in the Boston area (and a few car owners)
      that have converted their furnaces (or cars) to run on filtered used
      vegetable oil from restaurants.

      Brasilians are using a petroleum substitute made from sugar cane; various
      other crops including corn can also be used, but I think sugar cane is more
      productive. One of the big debates on the petroleum substitute for corn is
      whether it takes as much petroleum to produce it, as it replaces.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
        > One of the big debates on the petroleum substitute for corn is

        This wording is awkward, is can be taken differently than I meant; of
        course, I meant "one of the big debates on corn as a substitute for
        petroleum is..."

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
          At 01:08 AM 4/08/2006, you wrote:

          > >Canola oil isn't a a petroleum substitute--it's edible. It's one of the
          > >healthy cooking oils.

          Probably a diesel substitute called Bio-diesel

          Nick
        • raybravo2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
            Ethanol in Brazil is produced efficiently because it comes from sugar cane. However, corn
            does not produce as much ethanol and it takes more energy to make it than we get from
            it. The only reason we make ethenol is a subsidy. Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) the
            biggest producer would not be able to make money producing ethanol if it weren't for the
            subsidy. However, even if it isn't as efficient it burns cleaner than regular gas.

            Colin