Re: A BIG favor - will someone review this Slovak message?

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
      Bob and Elsa,
      I can't help you with the letters but just wanted to let you know
      that at the end of August I will be visiting Slovakia as well and plan
      to visit Sarisske Sokolovce. My grandmother (Pastircak) and her
      family came from that area; both Sarisske Sokolovce and Sarisske
      Michalany. Enjoy your trip.
      Bill
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Bob and Elsa Pendleton"
      <bobandelsa@...> wrote:

      > The folks in this group are so helpful, we feel we can ask for a
      large favor. We're planning a trip to Slovakia this Fall, to try to
      find relatives.
      > We have put together a message -- the message for Gregorovce appears
      below, first in Slovak, then in English -- which we would like to
      prepare with many copies, to give to people in Sarisske Sokolovce and
      Gregorovce.

      > If somebody would read through and let us know what needs to be
      corrected -- or give any other comments or advice -- we'd greatly
      appreciate your help.

      > Bob and Elsa
      >
      > Ja som Robert Pendleton. Tu je moja manzelka Elsa, a moja sesternica
      Marilyn Burke, a moj bratanec Thomas Kuchta.

      > Pýtame nás predoci. Janos Hopko sa narodil v Gregorovce v roku 1873.
      Bol moj stary otec a bol stary otec Marilyn. Jeho otec bol Janos Hopko
      a jeho matka bol Maria Bodnar. Mál pät sestry a dva braty. Videl sme
      záznami krstí. Vieme, ze dve sestry a dva braty isli do Ameriky. Janos
      Hopko sa ozenil v Passaic, New Jersey, s Anna Jurus Sarissky Sokolovce.

      > Chceme stretnút sa obyvatelsta dediny. Kto pozna Hopko, Bodnar,
      Simko, Tomecsko, Tomko, Peltova, Koszuszek?

      > Aj chceme navstívit cintorína a kostola.
      >
      > Mame dar pre dedinu. Je kniha s diagramov Janosov potomoci s
      fotografiami.

      > I am Robert Pendleton. Here is my wife Elsa, and my cousin Marilyn
      Burke, and my cousin Thomas Kuchta.

      > We are inquiring about our ancestors. Janos Hopko was born in
      Gregorovce in the year 1873. He was my grandfather and Marilyn's
      grandfather. His father was Janos Hopko and his mother was Maria
      Bodnar. He had five sisters and two brothers. We have seen records of
      baptisms. We know, that two sisters and two brothers went to America.
      Anna Jurus married in Passaic, New Jersey, Janos Hopko of Gregorovce.

      > We want to meet the people in the village. Who knows Hopko, Bodnar,
      Simko, Tomecsko, Tomko, Peltova, Koszuszek?

      > Also we want to visit the cemetery and the church.
      >
      > We have a gift for the village. It is a book with a chart of the
      descendants Janos Hopko with photographs.