Re: my slovak name

  • raybravo2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
      I'm no expert either but in Jakubany, which I am told should be
      considered Eastern Slovak, they say "spat" with the "t" sound.
      Although it might be a soft "t", but not the "c" or "s" sound. Maybe
      that's the Rusyn pronunciation, or maybe they are trying to
      speak "proper" Slovak for my benefit.

      Colin

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "andreialexiev" <Andrei424@...>
      wrote:

      > -At the risk of sounding like an expert(I'm not Slovak) ,in the
      East
      World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen
      > Fedor" <hfed@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Povina is up in the NW part of Slovakia, but "Fojcik" is what the
      > name would be in the eastern dialects.

      > > After researching my maternal side, I found that the correct
      > spelling for my mother's father's surname is "Fojtik". For at
      least
      > eighty years it has been spelled as
      > > "Foycik" in this country. I also learned that the spelling as
      > "Fojtik" is particular to the area of Povina Slovakia. or so I
      have
      > been told. It is apparent as you look at the documents that I have
      > found that grandmother knew it should be spelled Fojtik but she
      never
      > corrected it. I know this because she spelled it correctly when
      she
      > applied for a marriage license for her second marriage in early
      1930.
      > Also it appears correctly spelled on a death certificate for my
      > grandfather. I think now it would be a little to late to make a
      > correction as there is only one of us left to carry out the family
      > name and since we are all older I don't think that will happen.
      Life
      > is strange!
      > >
      > > Diane

    • andreialexiev
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
        I,ve heard of American Rusins visiting the old country who claim that
        the children are/were being taught "Czech" in the schools.What
        theycall "Czech" is probably correct literary Slovak which these
        Rusin_Americans wouldn't know because their parents were never taught
        in this language.--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000"