Re: [Slovak-World] Re: my view of Roma

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2006
      Dear Bill,
      I can not tell that.
      They really are not striving to achieve that. What they want is money and freedom. They have their own internal rules, which very few outsiders really know.
      Position of significance and visibility bears responsibility, and they are not really seen as responsible and reliable. Also, among themselves, they are not united and often there are clashes between bosses.
      They have their own King etc. So, really not much to see that they would like to live like other working people. There were very many attempts to give them what they were apparently lacking of ( what a simplistic view) in a hope, they will turn into brave citizen. No way. They destroy everything and go back to slum life. I do not wish anybody to tell me again "Yes, but not all...". I say almost all, which is more than enough.
      If they are living in flats, their dwellings are OK, but just outside, everything is a mess. They throw everything through the window. One ahs to see that more times, not only one article and one face.
      I do not hate them. Sometimes I feel sorry for them, because I see, they can not help themselves and nobody can help them either. Not a singe case of success is known to me, where the "civilisation project" has succeeded. If ever, than very short lived.
      Their life values are still so different from the ones of the surrounding society, that no bridge can be made. And by all this, I absolutely do not have an impression, that they were unhappy. They are all very well fed and smiling.
      Just day before yesterday I was watching a german movie about Roma in Romania. Very interesting. Old woman said:" Nobody can take our traditions away". another interesting sentence (Roma to Roma) : "Do not talk too much to the white and never tell him the truth. If you talk too much, your face will become white and you will be no Roma any more."
      I think, this tells it all.
      Best,
      Vladimir