Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Spelling of my name

  • Chuck Vrshek
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
      Same here. I almost always have to spell out my last name,Vrshek: V as in Victor, R, S as in Sam, H, E, K. That's the only way to have others spell it correctly. With only one vowel, people give me funny looks all the time. Typically, they interpret the written V as a U, and so I too have to search for my paperwork that has been misfiled. The original spelling was Vrsek.

      However, the most irritating thing is to have people respond with a laugh or a stupid grin and respond, "What the heck kind of name is that?" That's when I have to hold back my temper and slowly respond, "It's Slovak, and I am quite proud of it. Is there a problem with that?" Unfortunately, that happens a lot here in the Georgia, unlike Chicago where my name fit in with the rest quite well. Chuck Vrshek, Marietta, GA.

      raybravo2000 <colinvv@...> wrote:
      OK, Varga, when I was about 10 years old my father and I went to get his car which was
      being worked on at the dealer. I think we waited about 30 min. while the manager tried to
      find the paper work. I remember him walking all around the shop asking all the
      mechanics, looking high & low, saying the name out loud, and then checking everything
      twice. My father suggested it might be filed under "B"arga, and it was right there. I think
      this was the second time they did this, and apparently a common mistake. I too have had
      problems especially when spelling my name over the phone so I always say "V" as in Victor
      A R G A.

      Also, Colin, I had a S. Korean housemate who learned English from our other housemate
      who was from Boston and had a thick Boston accent. One time Chung had to address a
      letter to me and he spelled my name in Boston phonetics, "C A R L Y N N E".

      Colin

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" wrote:

      > Today, for the fist time in my life, I ordered "Classic Love Songs from the 50 ties"
      collection for my wife's birthday. I made it on the phone.
      > I spelled my name in several ways ( the guy was czech), also like Bertha Otto Heinrich
      Ida Nordpol Caesar , as it is usual with german speaking countries. So he got is written
      down right. After a short chat he then said:" Ok, Mr.Bohnic, thank you very much for your
      order."
      > See, what is chasing me?:-)
      > Vladimir

    • William F Brna
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
        If you think that you have problems spelling your name, try Brna. I
        have had e's, i's, u's, even apostrophes, included.

        William F. Brna

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>
        wrote:

        > Today, for the fist time in my life, I ordered "Classic Love Songs from
        the 50 ties"
        collection for my wife's birthday. I made it on the phone.
        > I spelled my name in several ways ( the guy was czech), also like
        Bertha Otto Heinrich
        Ida Nordpol Caesar , as it is usual with german speaking countries. So he
        got is written
        down right. After a short chat he then said:" Ok, Mr.Bohnic, thank you
        very much for your
        order."
        > See, what is chasing me?:-)
        > Vladimir

      • David
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
          Hi you all: Try Kuchta. If you are German or of Slavic decent, no
          problem Englanders have a hell of a time saying it. Sometimes I will
          tell them several time and each time it comes out is Kushta.
          Dave Kuchta (Cook-ta)

        • Tom Flynn
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
            On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, raybravo2000 wrote:

            > OK, Varga, when I was about 10 years old my father and I went to get his car which was
            > being worked on at the dealer. I think we waited about 30 min. while the manager tried to
            > find the paper work. I remember him walking all around the shop asking all the
            > mechanics, looking high & low, saying the name out loud, and then checking everything
            > twice. My father suggested it might be filed under "B"arga, and it was right there. I think
            > this was the second time they did this, and apparently a common mistake. I too have had
            > problems especially when spelling my name over the phone so I always say "V" as in Victor
            > A R G A.

            My mother (who is also a Varga) had to have her name changed to reflect
            the right spelling...my Grandfather had it down as "Warga" instead,
            which you wouldn't think would matter as her maiden name, except she uses
            it kind of as a middle name too (with no hypen or anything) since she
            never had a middle name. Maybe that's why I drive a VW today?

            My Cousin (a Varga as well) is getting married today...we would be there
            but we got called out of town unavoidably.

            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Today, for the fist time in my life, I ordered "Classic Love Songs from the 50 ties"
            > collection for my wife's birthday. I made it on the phone.
            >> I spelled my name in several ways ( the guy was czech), also like Bertha Otto Heinrich
            > Ida Nordpol Caesar , as it is usual with german speaking countries. So he got is written
            > down right. After a short chat he then said:" Ok, Mr.Bohnic, thank you very much for your
            > order."
            >> See, what is chasing me?:-)
            >> Vladimir

            ---------
            Tom Flynn
            I speak only for myself
          • ssultonia
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
              And my surname, Smorey, always ends up with an "L" in it somewhere,
              mostly Smorley. Not to drag this on too much but here is one I think
              is most funny. This happened to a friend of ours when we lived in the
              UK. The name is Joe Browne. He spent quite a bit of time on the
              phone one day to straighten out some problem and was promised a rebate
              in the mail. When responding to the clerk he said asked them to send
              it to Mr. and Mrs. Browne, "Browne with an 'e'". When the envelope
              arrived it was addressed to Mr. & Mrs. Brown-Withinee! 30 years later
              we still chuckle over that one.
              Bill

              wrote:

              > Oh, you mean Gergley:-)
              > If you would add an "s", then they would take you for a Greek.
              > Vladimir

            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
                With luck your family will marry into a Hawaiian family. They have
                a surplus of vowels & you could create just about any last name you
                chose!

                Ron

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, William F Brna <wfbrna@...>
                wrote:

                > If you think that you have problems spelling your name, try
                Brna. I
                > have had e's, i's, u's, even apostrophes, included.
                >
                > William F. Brna
                >
                > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:01:38 -0000 "raybravo2000" <colinvv@...>
                > writes:
                > OK, Varga, when I was about 10 years old my father and I went to
                get his
                > car which was
                > being worked on at the dealer. I think we waited about 30 min.
                while the
                > manager tried to
                > find the paper work. I remember him walking all around the shop
                asking
                > all the
                > mechanics, looking high & low, saying the name out loud, and then
                > checking everything
                > twice. My father suggested it might be filed under "B"arga, and it
                was
                > right there. I think
                > this was the second time they did this, and apparently a common
                mistake.
                > I too have had
                > problems especially when spelling my name over the phone so I
                always say
                > "V" as in Victor
                > A R G A.
                >
                > Also, Colin, I had a S. Korean housemate who learned English from
                our
                > other housemate
                > who was from Boston and had a thick Boston accent. One time Chung
                had to
                > address a
                > letter to me and he spelled my name in Boston phonetics, "C A R L
                Y N N
                > E".
                >
                > Colin
                >
                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Today, for the fist time in my life, I ordered "Classic Love
                Songs from
                > the 50 ties"
                > collection for my wife's birthday. I made it on the phone.
                > > I spelled my name in several ways ( the guy was czech), also like
                > Bertha Otto Heinrich
                > Ida Nordpol Caesar , as it is usual with german speaking
                countries. So he
                > got is written
                > down right. After a short chat he then said:" Ok, Mr.Bohnic, thank
                you
                > very much for your
                > order."
                > > See, what is chasing me?:-)
                > > Vladimir

              • raybravo2000
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
                  I was talking with my father and I repeated something George Carlin said that "... your
                  name can be ginofski and you can spell it S M I T H...". Then he told me about a student
                  of his whose family name was changed to something American at Ellis Island but the
                  family insisted on pronouncing it as the original Russian name which was not spelled
                  anything close to the American name.

                  Colin

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, David <humblebe@...> wrote:

                  > Hi you all: Try Kuchta. If you are German or of Slavic decent, no
                  > problem Englanders have a hell of a time saying it. Sometimes I will
                  > tell them several time and each time it comes out is Kushta.
                  > Dave Kuchta (Cook-ta)
                  >
                  > At 09:23 PM 7/29/2006, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, raybravo2000 wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > OK, Varga, when I was about 10 years old my father and I went to
                  > > get his car which was
                  > > > being worked on at the dealer. I think we waited about 30 min.
                  > > while the manager tried to
                  > > > find the paper work. I remember him walking all around the shop
                  > > asking all the
                  > > > mechanics, looking high & low, saying the name out loud, and then
                  > > checking everything
                  > > > twice. My father suggested it might be filed under "B"arga, and
                  > > it was right there. I think
                  > > > this was the second time they did this, and apparently a common
                  > > mistake. I too have had
                  > > > problems especially when spelling my name over the phone so I
                  > > always say "V" as in Victor
                  > > > A R G A.
                  > > >

                  > >My mother (who is also a Varga) had to have her name changed to reflect
                  > >the right spelling...my Grandfather had it down as "Warga" instead,
                  > >which you wouldn't think would matter as her maiden name, except she uses
                  > >it kind of as a middle name too (with no hypen or anything) since she
                  > >never had a middle name. Maybe that's why I drive a VW today?
                  > >
                  > >My Cousin (a Varga as well) is getting married today...we would be there
                  > >but we got called out of town unavoidably.
                  > >

                  > > > --- In
                  > > <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com,

                  > > Songs from the 50 ties"
                  > > > collection for my wife's birthday. I made it on the phone.
                  > > like Bertha Otto Heinrich
                  > > > Ida Nordpol Caesar , as it is usual with german speaking
                  > > countries. So he got is written
                  > > > down right. After a short chat he then said:" Ok, Mr.Bohnic,
                  > > thank you very much for your
                  > > > order."

                  > >---------
                  > >Tom Flynn
                  > >I speak only for myself

                • gergely
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
                    Exactly,

                    VIrtually all English names of the type end in "ley", so everybody wants to
                    spell Gergely as Gergley. Particularly down her in the WASP South.

                    Had no trouble in Budapest though. Of course all of my relatrives still in
                    Slovakia use Gergel'.

                    Jack Gergely

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
                      :)

                      Here in California, the Russians are the only lot that actually pronounce
                      my name truly properly... even more correctly than we do in my family!

                      Thanks to the Russians pronouncing unstressed O as A, I had some Russian
                      store owner see my name and he said "Hrm. Mikus^ka... Ukrainian?" Close!

                      We say "Mikusko" with a short u. Long u just sounds a little too ethnic,
                      but I go by both now. I got tired of 'correcting' people to the
                      technically wrong way. :)

                      Some Asians see my name and think it's Japanese!

                      -S

                    • Vladimir Bohinc
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
                        Bill, they add this l because they are sure you want to conceal it.
                        Oh, those misunderstandings are so cute.
                        I once worked for a UK Company Renishaw, which was located in Wotton under Edge. Their customers from all over the world had so much trouble with their address, that the company had a special section in their quarterly called "And they still found us...", showing all those terribly misspelled addresses.
                        Vladimir

                        wrote:

                        > Oh, you mean Gergley:-)
                        > If you would add an "s", then they would take you for a Greek.
                        > Vladimir

                        http://www.eset.sk

                      • Alice
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
                          Our surname 'Susko' is also a Japanese surname. How does that happen I wonder. Perhaps an accident of alphabets. ;-)

                          AvS

                          Here in California, the Russians are the only lot that actually pronounce
                          my name truly properly... even more correctly than we do in my family!

                          Thanks to the Russians pronouncing unstressed O as A, I had some Russian
                          store owner see my name and he said "Hrm. Mikus^ka... Ukrainian?" Close!

                          We say "Mikusko" with a short u. Long u just sounds a little too ethnic,
                          but I go by both now. I got tired of 'correcting' people to the
                          technically wrong way. :)

                          Some Asians see my name and think it's Japanese!

                          -S

                          On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, gergely wrote:

                          > Exactly,
                          >
                          > VIrtually all English names of the type end in "ley", so everybody wants to
                          > spell Gergely as Gergley. Particularly down her in the WASP South.
                          >
                          > Had no trouble in Budapest though. Of course all of my relatrives still in
                          > Slovakia use Gergel'.
                          >
                          > Jack Gergely

                        • Vladimir Bohinc
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 29, 2006
                            Nomen est Omen.
                            This reminds me of the Johhny Cash's song "A boy named Sue" and the message it carries.
                            In your case, Vrsek is a diminutive of Vrch, which means Peak, or top of a mountain or anything that has it.
                            If you are outraged you say: Toto je teda vrchol...., meaning Now this is the top of ... ( what I can bear or expect or tolerate or rather not any more....)

                            Vladimir

                            Same here. I almost always have to spell out my last name,Vrshek: V as in Victor, R, S as in Sam, H, E, K. That's the only way to have others spell it correctly. With only one vowel, people give me funny looks all the time. Typically, they interpret the written V as a U, and so I too have to search for my paperwork that has been misfiled. The original spelling was Vrsek.

                            However, the most irritating thing is to have people respond with a laugh or a stupid grin and respond, "What the heck kind of name is that?" That's when I have to hold back my temper and slowly respond, "It's Slovak, and I am quite proud of it. Is there a problem with that?" Unfortunately, that happens a lot here in the Georgia, unlike Chicago where my name fit in with the rest quite well. Chuck Vrshek, Marietta, GA.

                            raybravo2000 <colinvv@...> wrote:
                            OK, Varga, when I was about 10 years old my father and I went to get his car which was
                            being worked on at the dealer. I think we waited about 30 min. while the manager tried to
                            find the paper work. I remember him walking all around the shop asking all the
                            mechanics, looking high & low, saying the name out loud, and then checking everything
                            twice. My father suggested it might be filed under "B"arga, and it was right there. I think
                            this was the second time they did this, and apparently a common mistake. I too have had
                            problems especially when spelling my name over the phone so I always say "V" as in Victor
                            A R G A.

                            Also, Colin, I had a S. Korean housemate who learned English from our other housemate
                            who was from Boston and had a thick Boston accent. One time Chung had to address a
                            letter to me and he spelled my name in Boston phonetics, "C A R L Y N N E".

                            Colin

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" wrote:

                            > Today, for the fist time in my life, I ordered "Classic Love Songs from the 50 ties"
                            collection for my wife's birthday. I made it on the phone.
                            > I spelled my name in several ways ( the guy was czech), also like Bertha Otto Heinrich
                            Ida Nordpol Caesar , as it is usual with german speaking countries. So he got is written
                            down right. After a short chat he then said:" Ok, Mr.Bohnic, thank you very much for your
                            order."
                            > See, what is chasing me?:-)
                            > Vladimir

                            http://www.eset.sk

                          • J. Michutka
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 30, 2006
                              My sister and I couldn't wait to get to Slovakia, where finally! everyone
                              would pronounce our name correctly. (Sister ended up not being able to go
                              with me, alas.) So what happened? The anglicization of Mic^utka is
                              Michutka, and -ch- in English is pronounced one way and -ch- in Slovak is
                              pronounced another. Hotel clerks would look at my reservation or passport,
                              and say "Mrs. Mi-hoot-kah"......as I grit my teeth and corrected them as
                              politely as I could. A surprise and disappointment on that first trip!

                              I can't change my documents, but when writing or giving my name in
                              Slovakia, I now use the Slovak spelling, complete with -ova.

                              Julie Michutka, aka Julia Mic^utkova
                              jmm@...
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                                In English (although more British English, I think), we'd say "This is the height of [rudeness] [ignorance] [etc.]."

                                Helen

                                >>> konekta@... 07/30/06 1:50 AM >>>
                                Nomen est Omen.
                                This reminds me of the Johhny Cash's song "A boy named Sue" and the message it carries.
                                In your case, Vrsek is a diminutive of Vrch, which means Peak, or top of a mountain or anything that has it.
                                If you are outraged you say: Toto je teda vrchol...., meaning Now this is the top of ... ( what I can bear or expect or tolerate or rather not any more....)

                                Vladimir

                                Same here. I almost always have to spell out my last name,Vrshek: V as in Victor, R, S as in Sam, H, E, K. That's the only way to have others spell it correctly. With only one vowel, people give me funny looks all the time. Typically, they interpret the written V as a U, and so I too have to search for my paperwork that has been misfiled. The original spelling was Vrsek.

                                However, the most irritating thing is to have people respond with a laugh or a stupid grin and respond, "What the heck kind of name is that?" That's when I have to hold back my temper and slowly respond, "It's Slovak, and I am quite proud of it. Is there a problem with that?" Unfortunately, that happens a lot here in the Georgia, unlike Chicago where my name fit in with the rest quite well. Chuck Vrshek, Marietta, GA.

                                raybravo2000 <colinvv@...> wrote:
                                OK, Varga, when I was about 10 years old my father and I went to get his car which was
                                being worked on at the dealer. I think we waited about 30 min. while the manager tried to
                                find the paper work. I remember him walking all around the shop asking all the
                                mechanics, looking high & low, saying the name out loud, and then checking everything
                                twice. My father suggested it might be filed under "B"arga, and it was right there. I think
                                this was the second time they did this, and apparently a common mistake. I too have had
                                problems especially when spelling my name over the phone so I always say "V" as in Victor
                                A R G A.

                                Also, Colin, I had a S. Korean housemate who learned English from our other housemate
                                who was from Boston and had a thick Boston accent. One time Chung had to address a
                                letter to me and he spelled my name in Boston phonetics, "C A R L Y N N E".

                                Colin

                                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" wrote:

                                > Today, for the fist time in my life, I ordered "Classic Love Songs from the 50 ties"
                                collection for my wife's birthday. I made it on the phone.
                                > I spelled my name in several ways ( the guy was czech), also like Bertha Otto Heinrich
                                Ida Nordpol Caesar , as it is usual with german speaking countries. So he got is written
                                down right. After a short chat he then said:" Ok, Mr.Bohnic, thank you very much for your
                                order."
                                > See, what is chasing me?:-)
                                > Vladimir

                                http://www.eset.sk

                              • Dr. Joe Q
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 31, 2006
                                  Yeah!

                                  Well you can add to the confusion with a few easy
                                  pronunciation guides:

                                  P as in psychology
                                  P as in Pfiefer
                                  G as in gnat or gnu