Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Our beautiful Levoca

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 27, 2006
      When I visited last summer, I got all my money from ATMs, which are plentiful in the centers of cities. There's one right in the main train station in B-slava (I ran into an acquaintance, a local, when we were both waiting in line).

      You get the best rates using ATMs. But before you leave home, find out which ATM networks your card operates on. I never had any problems finding ATMs or getting money from them. I'd get enough money to cover my needs until I got to the next city.

      >>> helenezx@... 07/27/06 4:55 AM >>>
      usually a hotel has a 5 to 8 per cent surcharge - don't do that - or only in em ergency and small amounts

      there is a bank on the square near the information center - big green I sign - across the squarre from teh archive building

      also can change money in the information center - or could in the past

      they are super - speak english and have lots of good tips

      be sure to visit for mapes etgc.

      helene

      ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote: Vladimir,
      Thanks. I feel better now! Also thanks for the directions to the
      parking area of the Barbakan. I will be driving there from either
      Spisska Nova Ves or Kosice, not sure which one yet. I have done a lot
      of research in LDS microfilms so I am not sure I will find anything
      new at the archives. I have pretty much exhausted the microfilms in my
      area of interest in Spis. I will give it a quick once over but I
      don't want to spend too much time there. The purpose of the trip is
      to visit many different locations of my ancestors and not spend all my
      time squinting at microfilms. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks! If
      you are in the Levoca area 25-31 August look me up at the Barbakan.
      First pivo is on me.
      Oh - one more question. You said do not change money on the street.
      Where is the best place to change money in Levoca? At a bank? Hotel?
      Bill

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>
      wrote:

      > There was a couple from the States, who also came to the archive to
      study the records. After half an hour they gave up.
      > Totally unprepared and unskilled.

      place. The speed bump I wrote about is on the same main entry street
      as this hotel, just about 50 m before. So to find their parking place
      ( locked), you have to make the arrangement with reception and they
      will open the gate for you.
      > After the speed bump you turn right and then again right and you
      are there, on the back side of Barbakan. Good tiny hotel with good
      service and polite staff.