Re: Train Travel

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 4, 2006
      Vladimir,
      Thank you. I checked the ZSR website again and it shows the
      following for IC 405 Tatran. But I do agree it does seem surprising
      that there would be a "thru" train. I am guessing there is a train
      change in Bratislava. I have sent an email to ZSR to ask. We shall see.

      km Station Arrival Departure
      0 Wien Westbf 08:18
      15 Wien Meidling 08:32 08:34
      53 Bruck a. d. Leitha 09:06 09:07
      81 Kittsee 09:23 09:24
      86 Bratislava-Petržalka 09:30 09:40
      103 Bratislava hl.st. 09:58 10:20
      149 Trnava 10:58 10:59
      227 Trenčín 12:04 12:06
      306 Žilina 12:57 13:00
      389 Liptovský Mikulᚠ13:57 13:59
      447 Poprad-Tatry 14:37 14:39
      532 Kysak 15:32
      548 Košice 15:45
      Regards,
      Bill

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>
      wrote:

      > From Westbahnhof to Kosice? Very unlikely. Check again.
      > Vladimir

    • Linda Hartlaub
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 4, 2006
        Three words: Make reservations ahead!

        Linda

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
          Dear Bill,
          It seems you got a train I was not aware of.
          Usually the trains going to Bratislava leave Suedbahnhof or Nordbahnhof.
          Lucky man:-)
          Best,
          Vladimir

          Thank you. I checked the ZSR website again and it shows the
          following for IC 405 Tatran. But I do agree it does seem surprising
          that there would be a "thru" train. I am guessing there is a train
          change in Bratislava. I have sent an email to ZSR to ask. We shall see.

          km Station Arrival Departure
          0 Wien Westbf 08:18
          15 Wien Meidling 08:32 08:34
          53 Bruck a. d. Leitha 09:06 09:07
          81 Kittsee 09:23 09:24
          86 Bratislava-Petrzalka 09:30 09:40
          103 Bratislava hl.st. 09:58 10:20
          149 Trnava 10:58 10:59
          227 Trenčín 12:04 12:06
          306 Zilina 12:57 13:00
          389 Liptovský Mikulás 13:57 13:59
          447 Poprad-Tatry 14:37 14:39
          532 Kysak 15:32
          548 Kosice 15:45

          http://www.eset.sk

        • bhewlett@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
            How far ahead? Can't do it from the US, I tried. The reply was "we don't make reservations by e-mail or phone". Want the night train from Banska Bystrica to Prague, first class berth. Is a couple days in advance O.K. once I get there?
            Thanks,
            Joyce

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
              Funny, I made reservations ahead last year.

              >>> bhewlett@... 07/05/06 7:49 AM >>>
              How far ahead? Can't do it from the US, I tried. The reply was "we don't make reservations by e-mail or phone". Want the night train from Banska Bystrica to Prague, first class berth. Is a couple days in advance O.K. once I get there?
              Thanks,
              Joyce

              >From: Linda Hartlaub <ljhartlaub@...>
              >Date: Tue Jul 04 22:50:07 CDT 2006
              >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Train Travel

              >Three words: Make reservations ahead!
              >
              >Linda

            • Linda Hartlaub
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                Yes. The first thing I did when reaching a town was to walk over to the ticket window and make reservations for the next leg of my journey. That way I knew we had seats regardless of commuters, students going back and forth to school, whatever.

                Linda

              • modra101
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                  Bill,

                  That train does go through to Kosice from Vienna. I recently lived in
                  Bratislava and worked in Vienna. I took trains a lot and there is a
                  link from Vienna to Kosice. With this one (the schedule you attached
                  below) you don't need to transfer.

                  Another good website for schedules is:
                  www.cp.sk

                  Margarete

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "ssultonia" <ssultonia@...> wrote:

                  > Vladimir,
                  > Thank you. I checked the ZSR website again and it shows the
                  > following for IC 405 Tatran. But I do agree it does seem surprising
                  > that there would be a "thru" train. I am guessing there is a train
                  > change in Bratislava. I have sent an email to ZSR to ask. We shall see.
                  >
                  > km Station Arrival Departure
                  > 0 Wien Westbf 08:18
                  > 15 Wien Meidling 08:32 08:34
                  > 53 Bruck a. d. Leitha 09:06 09:07
                  > 81 Kittsee 09:23 09:24
                  > 86 Bratislava-Petržalka 09:30 09:40
                  > 103 Bratislava hl.st. 09:58 10:20
                  > 149 Trnava 10:58 10:59
                  > 227 Trenčín 12:04 12:06
                  > 306 Žilina 12:57 13:00
                  > 389 Liptovský Mikulᚠ13:57 13:59
                  > 447 Poprad-Tatry 14:37 14:39
                  > 532 Kysak 15:32
                  > 548 Košice 15:45
                  > Regards,
                  > Bill
                  >
                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > From Westbahnhof to Kosice? Very unlikely. Check again.
                  > > Vladimir

                • ssultonia
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                    I'm trying but it is difficult on either the Austrian or Slovak
                    railway web sites. I have sent emails to both. We shall see. The
                    Austrian site has a "Sparscheine" fare that is very reasonable for
                    travel into Slovakia but it doesn't appear that you can book it on
                    line. I might have to go through a travel agent.
                    Bill

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Hartlaub" <ljhartlaub@...>

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                      As I mentioned previously, you can do this when you arrive in your city at the ticket window. It is easy and inexpensive at the train stations throughout Europe, including Slovakia.

                      Linda

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 6, 2006
                        O.k., I think I know how you can make a reservation and get your train tickets.

                        Go to <http://austriainfo.raileurope.com/us/rail/fares_schedules/index.htm>, the English-language site of Austrian rail fares. I had trouble getting this site properly (the search box was cut off) on Internet Explorer, but it worked fine on Mozilla Firefox. Type in "Vienna" in the "from" box and "Bratislava" in the "to" box. (I typed in "Kosice", but got a message saying there was a problem and that some trips have to be broken down into components.) When the schedule comes up, find the train you'd like to take, then click on "select" under the train and price category you want. Type in the info they ask for on the next screen, then click on "continue shopping". Do the same thing again, typing "Bratislava" and "Kosice" in the search box. I stopped after choosing this 2nd train, because I'm not really ordering. Follow their directions and it seems like you should be able to get your tickets. Let us all know if this works.

                        Helen

                        >>> ssultonia@... 07/05/06 9:17 PM >>>