Train Travel

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
      I noticed on the ZSR Slovak Railway web site that the IC Tatran goes
      from Vienna Westbahnhof to Kosice. Wondering if anyone has used this
      route and has any comments. I plan to travel via train to Kosice in
      late August. Thanks in advance for any tips!
      Bill
    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
        From Westbahnhof to Kosice? Very unlikely. Check again.
        Vladimir

        I noticed on the ZSR Slovak Railway web site that the IC Tatran goes
        from Vienna Westbahnhof to Kosice. Wondering if anyone has used this
        route and has any comments. I plan to travel via train to Kosice in
        late August. Thanks in advance for any tips!
        Bill

        http://www.eset.sk

      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 4, 2006
          That reminds me of a trip in 1982 with my mother and sister.
          Leaving Bratislava by train we took longer for the triple check of
          the railroad car than we did in travelling - at least that is my
          memory.

          When we did get to Vienna we had to cross the city to get to the
          West Bahnhof to catch a train to Frankfurt. I knew enough to get
          the money and the tram, but then we boarded the back car and I went
          up to buy tickets from the driver, I found out they had to be bought
          in advance and he did not sell them.

          There was nothing left to do but quietly return to my mother &
          sister and let them know we were travelling "black", and to enjoy
          the sights along the way. Luckily no inspectors boarded to check
          tickets so we have no international criminal record.

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 4, 2006
            Last summer I flew into Vienna, caught a bus to the train station, and took the train to B-slava. Someone had told me that the train went non-stop across the border, that they collected passports after the last stop on the Austrian side and stamped them while the train zipped across the border. Wrong-o. We stopped. It wasn't bad though, and the stop was a bit shorter than the stop the bus makes. Later in my trip I took the train from B-slava to Kosice, where my cousins met me. The ride was very pleasant, in a new train car. I had the choice of sitting at a little table by the window, or sitting in a compartment. Refreshments were brought through the car, but I don't remember the cost because I'd bought a sandwich and drink in the train station. The price difference between tickets is tiny, so go for the express train.

            Helen Fedor
            European Division
            Library of Congress
            10 E. First St., S.E.
            Washington, D.C. 20540-4830
            tel. (202) 707-3704
            fax (202) 707-8482
            <hfed@...>
            >>> konekta@... 07/04/06 12:08 AM >>>
            From Westbahnhof to Kosice? Very unlikely. Check again.
            Vladimir

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 4, 2006
              I do know that the Tatran goes from Bratislava, maybe from Wien-Sued Bahnhof via Petrzalka. I was not lucky enough to get on the Tatran and rode second class from Bratislava to Presov last year - not very comfortable, cramped into 8 person compartment with hard old seats, overheated. And on Sunday even the aisles were filled with young people carrying packs and skis. But I also had a backpack. Consider first class rail unless you are a rugged type.
              Art

            • ssultonia
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 4, 2006
                Vladimir,
                Thank you. I checked the ZSR website again and it shows the
                following for IC 405 Tatran. But I do agree it does seem surprising
                that there would be a "thru" train. I am guessing there is a train
                change in Bratislava. I have sent an email to ZSR to ask. We shall see.

                km Station Arrival Departure
                0 Wien Westbf 08:18
                15 Wien Meidling 08:32 08:34
                53 Bruck a. d. Leitha 09:06 09:07
                81 Kittsee 09:23 09:24
                86 Bratislava-Petržalka 09:30 09:40
                103 Bratislava hl.st. 09:58 10:20
                149 Trnava 10:58 10:59
                227 Trenčín 12:04 12:06
                306 Žilina 12:57 13:00
                389 Liptovský Mikulᚠ13:57 13:59
                447 Poprad-Tatry 14:37 14:39
                532 Kysak 15:32
                548 Košice 15:45
                Regards,
                Bill

                wrote:

                > From Westbahnhof to Kosice? Very unlikely. Check again.
                > Vladimir

              • Linda Hartlaub
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Three words: Make reservations ahead!

                  Linda

                • Vladimir Bohinc
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                    Dear Bill,
                    It seems you got a train I was not aware of.
                    Usually the trains going to Bratislava leave Suedbahnhof or Nordbahnhof.
                    Lucky man:-)
                    Best,
                    Vladimir

                    Thank you. I checked the ZSR website again and it shows the
                    following for IC 405 Tatran. But I do agree it does seem surprising
                    that there would be a "thru" train. I am guessing there is a train
                    change in Bratislava. I have sent an email to ZSR to ask. We shall see.

                    km Station Arrival Departure
                    0 Wien Westbf 08:18
                    15 Wien Meidling 08:32 08:34
                    53 Bruck a. d. Leitha 09:06 09:07
                    81 Kittsee 09:23 09:24
                    86 Bratislava-Petrzalka 09:30 09:40
                    103 Bratislava hl.st. 09:58 10:20
                    149 Trnava 10:58 10:59
                    227 Trenčín 12:04 12:06
                    306 Zilina 12:57 13:00
                    389 Liptovský Mikulás 13:57 13:59
                    447 Poprad-Tatry 14:37 14:39
                    532 Kysak 15:32
                    548 Kosice 15:45
                    Regards,
                    Bill

                    http://www.eset.sk

                  • bhewlett@verizon.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                      How far ahead? Can't do it from the US, I tried. The reply was "we don't make reservations by e-mail or phone". Want the night train from Banska Bystrica to Prague, first class berth. Is a couple days in advance O.K. once I get there?
                      Thanks,
                      Joyce

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                        Funny, I made reservations ahead last year.

                        >>> bhewlett@... 07/05/06 7:49 AM >>>
                        How far ahead? Can't do it from the US, I tried. The reply was "we don't make reservations by e-mail or phone". Want the night train from Banska Bystrica to Prague, first class berth. Is a couple days in advance O.K. once I get there?
                        Thanks,
                        Joyce

                        >From: Linda Hartlaub <ljhartlaub@...>
                        >Date: Tue Jul 04 22:50:07 CDT 2006
                        >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Train Travel

                        >Three words: Make reservations ahead!
                        >
                        >Linda

                      • Linda Hartlaub
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                          Yes. The first thing I did when reaching a town was to walk over to the ticket window and make reservations for the next leg of my journey. That way I knew we had seats regardless of commuters, students going back and forth to school, whatever.

                          Linda

                        • modra101
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                            Bill,

                            That train does go through to Kosice from Vienna. I recently lived in
                            Bratislava and worked in Vienna. I took trains a lot and there is a
                            link from Vienna to Kosice. With this one (the schedule you attached
                            below) you don't need to transfer.

                            Another good website for schedules is:
                            www.cp.sk

                            Margarete

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "ssultonia" <ssultonia@...> wrote:

                            > Vladimir,
                            > Thank you. I checked the ZSR website again and it shows the
                            > following for IC 405 Tatran. But I do agree it does seem surprising
                            > that there would be a "thru" train. I am guessing there is a train
                            > change in Bratislava. I have sent an email to ZSR to ask. We shall see.
                            >
                            > km Station Arrival Departure
                            > 0 Wien Westbf 08:18
                            > 15 Wien Meidling 08:32 08:34
                            > 53 Bruck a. d. Leitha 09:06 09:07
                            > 81 Kittsee 09:23 09:24
                            > 86 Bratislava-Petržalka 09:30 09:40
                            > 103 Bratislava hl.st. 09:58 10:20
                            > 149 Trnava 10:58 10:59
                            > 227 Trenčín 12:04 12:06
                            > 306 Žilina 12:57 13:00
                            > 389 Liptovský Mikulᚠ13:57 13:59
                            > 447 Poprad-Tatry 14:37 14:39
                            > 532 Kysak 15:32
                            > 548 Košice 15:45
                            > Regards,
                            > Bill
                            >
                            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > From Westbahnhof to Kosice? Very unlikely. Check again.
                            > > Vladimir

                          • ssultonia
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                              I'm trying but it is difficult on either the Austrian or Slovak
                              railway web sites. I have sent emails to both. We shall see. The
                              Austrian site has a "Sparscheine" fare that is very reasonable for
                              travel into Slovakia but it doesn't appear that you can book it on
                              line. I might have to go through a travel agent.
                              Bill

                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Hartlaub" <ljhartlaub@...>

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 5, 2006
                                As I mentioned previously, you can do this when you arrive in your city at the ticket window. It is easy and inexpensive at the train stations throughout Europe, including Slovakia.

                                Linda

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 6, 2006
                                  O.k., I think I know how you can make a reservation and get your train tickets.

                                  Go to <http://austriainfo.raileurope.com/us/rail/fares_schedules/index.htm>, the English-language site of Austrian rail fares. I had trouble getting this site properly (the search box was cut off) on Internet Explorer, but it worked fine on Mozilla Firefox. Type in "Vienna" in the "from" box and "Bratislava" in the "to" box. (I typed in "Kosice", but got a message saying there was a problem and that some trips have to be broken down into components.) When the schedule comes up, find the train you'd like to take, then click on "select" under the train and price category you want. Type in the info they ask for on the next screen, then click on "continue shopping". Do the same thing again, typing "Bratislava" and "Kosice" in the search box. I stopped after choosing this 2nd train, because I'm not really ordering. Follow their directions and it seems like you should be able to get your tickets. Let us all know if this works.

                                  Helen

                                  >>> ssultonia@... 07/05/06 9:17 PM >>>