Can Slovaks See the USA in Your Chevrolet circa 1950's

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
      Last week was the 50th Anniversary of the start
      of the US Interstate System.

      The first construction started a couple miles from
      us in Saint Louis County, Missouri on June 29, 1956.

      As hard it may be to believe, the planning that
      started in 1954 used Ethnic Integrity of Neighborhoods
      as a selling point.

      Before he died in 1975, my grandfather gave me some
      interesting early interstate highway documents.

      I pulled them out yesterday after seeing a show on the
      50th Anniversary.

      Sure enough, the interstate highway system used ethnic
      integrity as a selling point.

      Protect the Hunkies and Ukies from the Blacks and protect
      the real Americans from all.

      As you travel on the 4th of July and find the interstate route
      wandering through a city up and down rather than just
      cutting straight across, you now know why..

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative
    • Danusha Goska
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
        Greg Kopchak, PLEASE -- prosim vas -- (am I using
        that correctly?) please post more details about
        the interstate highway material you mentioned.

        I study ethnicity and am interested in anything
        having anything to do with Bohunks.

        Is there any chance you would photocopy it, or
        scan it, and send it to me?

        I could reciprocate by sending you something ...

        BTW, it is not too late to discuss the Bohunks in
        movies article I published recently. A friend
        posted it on his blog and a lively discussion
        ensued. I would be honored if a Slovak World
        author weighed in with a comment:

        http://thescreamblog.wordpress.com/2006/05/07/american-bohunk/

        My friend's comment notwithstanding, the article
        addresses all Bohunks, not just Poles.

        But, seriously, Greg, please send me as much info
        as you can.

        Danusha Goska

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Gregory J Kopchak
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
          Danusha:

          Helen from the Library of Congress belongs to the group.

          She should be able to point you to sources of early Interstate
          Highway documents from the 1950's in the Library.

          I think LOC has some Interstate gems hidden away.

          I did make a post at your site.

          In the next month I will send you some scans of documents.

          In the 1950's America was different than it claims to be today.

          Some great reasons to make something happen in 1954 would
          surprise a 21st Century American.

          Just take a look at the Japanese-Americans in the early 40's.

          Less than 25% of American immigrants supported the document
          signed on July 4, 1776.

          My wife's family were Loyalists! They fled to Duchess County New
          York after the loss.

          It's interesting that if you print this message on a HP printer, the
          message is being printed via traitors to "Truth, Justice and the America
          Way".

          An HP factory sits on the the site of the former Hewlett family farm in
          Poughkeepsie, New York.

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
              Hey Greg,

              I thought that when Slovak World was resurected, we all agreed that it would
              not be used for political discussions.

              Jack Gergely
              Newport News.

            • bbagin@verizon.net

[...]

                Bruce Bagin
                5620 Forbes Avenue
                Pittsburgh, PA 15217-1524
              • Gregory J Kopchak
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 6, 2006
                  Thanks Helen.

                  The LC has been my hero over the years.

                  As we sit in the 21st Century, most American's don't have a
                  clue about how the Interstate Highway System came to be.

                  You not only have a job ay LOC, but also are a "Guardian of History".

                  I'm Impressed,

                  Greg Kopchak
                  www.iarelative.com