Re: [Slovak-World] further adventures in Slovakia

  • e.gernat@att.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2 7:58 AM
      From: "jmichutka" <jmm@...>
      Hi Just thought I would tell you that 2 of my husband's cousins are on tour with you, Judy Ross and Phyllis Hughes. wish we were there also. We once got a police escort in Zilina when we went to a cousins house, it was easier than taking the time to translate or draw pictures. Enjoy enjoy Edie Tell all we said Hello Helen and Helene and everyone in Slovakia.

      > In which our heroines arrive in Kosice with a police escort
      >
      > Spent last night at a lovely pension s.of Liptovsky Mikulas, wedged
      > between the mts. Headed out this morning, to go thru Levoca on our
      > way to Kosice. Weather finally cleared and it was beautiful. Unknown
      > to our heroines, there was a pilgrimage in Levoca today, and one was
      > not allowed to drive into the old city. One was not allowed to get to
      > the highway...we had arrived via back roads...one was told by
      > irritable police to go back a number of kilometers...so we did, picked
      > up the signs to Kosice, and took the back roads all the way....old
      > village after old village, incredible scenery, twisty winding roads
      > and switchbacks, up and down......I�ve never done this kind of
      > driving, but handled it just fine. Arrived in Kosice at a different
      > point than anticipated, since I thought we d arrive via highway, and
      > almost immediately started to get us lost. Saw four cops on a corner,
      > pulled into a parking spot right next to them and jumped out of the
      > car and asked for directions to Hotel Centrum. They quickly realized
      > how useless it was to give me complex directions in Slovak, so two of
      > them got in their cop car and indicated to me to follow them. They
      > led us through lovely old narrow streets to the other side of town,
      > right to the hotel. I was so grateful, and it was a lovely way to
      > come back to this city.
      >
      > We ve already run into Helene, and tomorrow start our tour.
      >
      > Julie Michutka so dcerou
      > jmichutka at yahoo dot com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Fred G Kovalyak
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2 9:12 AM
        What a wonderful story .....Please keep them coming.
        Wish I were there and on Helenes Tour again.

        fred G kovalyak
        columbia,md

        --- jmichutka <jmm@...> wrote:

        > In which our heroines arrive in Kosice with a police escort
        >
        > Spent last night at a lovely pension s.of Liptovsky Mikulas, wedged
        > between the mts. Headed out this morning, to go thru Levoca on our
        > way to Kosice. Weather finally cleared and it was beautiful. Unknown
        > to our heroines, there was a pilgrimage in Levoca today, and one was
        > not allowed to drive into the old city. One was not allowed to get to
        > the highway...we had arrived via back roads...one was told by
        > irritable police to go back a number of kilometers...so we did, picked
        > up the signs to Kosice, and took the back roads all the way....old
        > village after old village, incredible scenery, twisty winding roads
        > and switchbacks, up and down......I§ve never done this kind of
        > driving, but handled it just fine. Arrived in Kosice at a different
        > point than anticipated, since I thought we d arrive via highway, and
        > almost immediately started to get us lost. Saw four cops on a corner,
        > pulled into a parking spot right next to them and jumped out of the
        > car and asked for directions to Hotel Centrum. They quickly realized
        > how useless it was to give me complex directions in Slovak, so two of
        > them got in their cop car and indicated to me to follow them. They
        > led us through lovely old narrow streets to the other side of town,
        > right to the hotel. I was so grateful, and it was a lovely way to
        > come back to this city.
        >
        > We ve already run into Helene, and tomorrow start our tour.
        >
        > Julie Michutka so dcerou
        > jmichutka at yahoo dot com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Matchett
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2 3:15 PM
          Julie, Thanks for e-mailing about your journey. Tell Skip & Elaine on
          the tour, that I said hi. They're from Florida. Julia Matchett
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3 7:21 AM
            Fabulous -- police escort and Helene, perfect trip (so
            far)!

            Caye

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • jmichutka
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 3 1:20 PM
              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

              > Fabulous -- police escort and Helene, perfect trip (so
              > far)!

              errr...less than perfect, did I mention that I missed seeing the
              parking thingy in Zilina and got booted. I pretended I was Helene and
              that it was an amusing adventure. It took a lot of imagination.

              big problems getting tour folks here, evidently storms in the USA
              delayed flights....most, but not all, folks are here now, luggage is
              hopefully on its way. Makes me really glad to have gotten here early,
              we were lucky.

              Found Timrava in slovak today, used copies only, new bookstores don§t
              have her, I guess she is not currently in print.

              Julie Michutka, wondering how to make punctuation work on this keyboard
              jmichutka at yahoo dot com
            • jmichutka
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3 1:21 PM

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 3 9:11 PM
                  Ok, I concede, what's a perfect trip w/o a glitch?
                  You handled it quite well, carry on my dear and keep
                  reporting, enjoying the smirks.

                  I thought we in Chicago were the only ones to boot a
                  vehicle for parking violations, obviously it has
                  become world-renown, lol.

                  Caye

                  http://mail.yahoo.com