Re: [Slovak-World] hi from Slovakia

  • krejc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1 10:11 AM
      hi Julie,
      thanks for your email to Slovak World.
      will you get a chance to see the Tatras?
      enjoy your trip with your daughter and with Helene's tour. hope the weather
      is great for all of you. glad you got a chance to meet Vladimir B. i hope to
      meet him someday also.
      we will wait to hear your email updates.
      Noren

    • artistedoliver
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2 1:37 AM
        PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME FROM LIST
      • DOREEN CHANDLER
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2 4:43 AM
          unsubscribe me please

          artistedoliver <artistedoliver@...> wrote:
          PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME FROM LIST

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2 5:04 AM
            Thanks Julie -- enjoyed your update -- and look
            forward to you sharing some photos upon your return --
            thank you for the Zilna traffic report -- I think
            we'll be skirting Zilna at some point next month, so
            I'll expect the worst.

            Caye

            --- jmichutka <jmm@...> wrote:

            > hi all,
            >
            > My daughter and I ¨have been in Slovakia since
            > Tuesday. Had a couple
            > of very hot days and now it is quite cool. The sun
            > just wönt shine.
            > Driving has been ok except for the second half of
            > the trip from Blava to
            > Zilina, where traffic was just awful and scary. Had
            > lunch with our own
            > Vladimir Bohinc, it was delightful to finally meet
            > him. Zilina is still
            > terrible to drive through, and who knew every hotel
            > and pension in the
            > city is booked during week days.
            >
            > At some point I made the big leap with my Slovak,
            > and in the middle of
            > a four hour visit with relatives who dont speak
            > English, I realized that I
            > hadnt been translating word for word in my head, and
            > getting behind in
            > the sentence, but was taking in whole sentences.
            > Now I wasnt always
            > understanding what was said, mind you, my Slovak
            > still is lousy, but
            > my mental processing of the language is now more
            > internalized.
            >
            > Gotta go, tomorrow we drive to Kosice and jöin
            > Helene§s tour. Drat this
            > slovak kezboard...
            >
            > Julie Michutka, on the road

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • jmichutka
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2 7:18 AM
              In which our heroines arrive in Kosice with a police escort

              Spent last night at a lovely pension s.of Liptovsky Mikulas, wedged
              between the mts. Headed out this morning, to go thru Levoca on our
              way to Kosice. Weather finally cleared and it was beautiful. Unknown
              to our heroines, there was a pilgrimage in Levoca today, and one was
              not allowed to drive into the old city. One was not allowed to get to
              the highway...we had arrived via back roads...one was told by
              irritable police to go back a number of kilometers...so we did, picked
              up the signs to Kosice, and took the back roads all the way....old
              village after old village, incredible scenery, twisty winding roads
              and switchbacks, up and down......I§ve never done this kind of
              driving, but handled it just fine. Arrived in Kosice at a different
              point than anticipated, since I thought we d arrive via highway, and
              almost immediately started to get us lost. Saw four cops on a corner,
              pulled into a parking spot right next to them and jumped out of the
              car and asked for directions to Hotel Centrum. They quickly realized
              how useless it was to give me complex directions in Slovak, so two of
              them got in their cop car and indicated to me to follow them. They
              led us through lovely old narrow streets to the other side of town,
              right to the hotel. I was so grateful, and it was a lovely way to
              come back to this city.

              We ve already run into Helene, and tomorrow start our tour.

              Julie Michutka so dcerou
              jmichutka at yahoo dot com
            • e.gernat@att.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2 7:58 AM
                From: "jmichutka" <jmm@...>
                Hi Just thought I would tell you that 2 of my husband's cousins are on tour with you, Judy Ross and Phyllis Hughes. wish we were there also. We once got a police escort in Zilina when we went to a cousins house, it was easier than taking the time to translate or draw pictures. Enjoy enjoy Edie Tell all we said Hello Helen and Helene and everyone in Slovakia.

                > In which our heroines arrive in Kosice with a police escort
                >
                > Spent last night at a lovely pension s.of Liptovsky Mikulas, wedged
                > between the mts. Headed out this morning, to go thru Levoca on our
                > way to Kosice. Weather finally cleared and it was beautiful. Unknown
                > to our heroines, there was a pilgrimage in Levoca today, and one was
                > not allowed to drive into the old city. One was not allowed to get to
                > the highway...we had arrived via back roads...one was told by
                > irritable police to go back a number of kilometers...so we did, picked
                > up the signs to Kosice, and took the back roads all the way....old
                > village after old village, incredible scenery, twisty winding roads
                > and switchbacks, up and down......I�ve never done this kind of
                > driving, but handled it just fine. Arrived in Kosice at a different
                > point than anticipated, since I thought we d arrive via highway, and
                > almost immediately started to get us lost. Saw four cops on a corner,
                > pulled into a parking spot right next to them and jumped out of the
                > car and asked for directions to Hotel Centrum. They quickly realized
                > how useless it was to give me complex directions in Slovak, so two of
                > them got in their cop car and indicated to me to follow them. They
                > led us through lovely old narrow streets to the other side of town,
                > right to the hotel. I was so grateful, and it was a lovely way to
                > come back to this city.
                >
                > We ve already run into Helene, and tomorrow start our tour.
                >
                > Julie Michutka so dcerou
                > jmichutka at yahoo dot com
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Fred G Kovalyak
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2 9:12 AM
                  What a wonderful story .....Please keep them coming.
                  Wish I were there and on Helenes Tour again.

                  fred G kovalyak
                  columbia,md

                  --- jmichutka <jmm@...> wrote:

                  > In which our heroines arrive in Kosice with a police escort
                  >
                  > Spent last night at a lovely pension s.of Liptovsky Mikulas, wedged
                  > between the mts. Headed out this morning, to go thru Levoca on our
                  > way to Kosice. Weather finally cleared and it was beautiful. Unknown
                  > to our heroines, there was a pilgrimage in Levoca today, and one was
                  > not allowed to drive into the old city. One was not allowed to get to
                  > the highway...we had arrived via back roads...one was told by
                  > irritable police to go back a number of kilometers...so we did, picked
                  > up the signs to Kosice, and took the back roads all the way....old
                  > village after old village, incredible scenery, twisty winding roads
                  > and switchbacks, up and down......I§ve never done this kind of
                  > driving, but handled it just fine. Arrived in Kosice at a different
                  > point than anticipated, since I thought we d arrive via highway, and
                  > almost immediately started to get us lost. Saw four cops on a corner,
                  > pulled into a parking spot right next to them and jumped out of the
                  > car and asked for directions to Hotel Centrum. They quickly realized
                  > how useless it was to give me complex directions in Slovak, so two of
                  > them got in their cop car and indicated to me to follow them. They
                  > led us through lovely old narrow streets to the other side of town,
                  > right to the hotel. I was so grateful, and it was a lovely way to
                  > come back to this city.
                  >
                  > We ve already run into Helene, and tomorrow start our tour.
                  >
                  > Julie Michutka so dcerou
                  > jmichutka at yahoo dot com

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Matchett
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 2 3:15 PM
                    Julie, Thanks for e-mailing about your journey. Tell Skip & Elaine on
                    the tour, that I said hi. They're from Florida. Julia Matchett
                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 3 7:21 AM
                      Fabulous -- police escort and Helene, perfect trip (so
                      far)!

                      Caye

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • jmichutka
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 3 1:20 PM
                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                        > Fabulous -- police escort and Helene, perfect trip (so
                        > far)!

                        errr...less than perfect, did I mention that I missed seeing the
                        parking thingy in Zilina and got booted. I pretended I was Helene and
                        that it was an amusing adventure. It took a lot of imagination.

                        big problems getting tour folks here, evidently storms in the USA
                        delayed flights....most, but not all, folks are here now, luggage is
                        hopefully on its way. Makes me really glad to have gotten here early,
                        we were lucky.

                        Found Timrava in slovak today, used copies only, new bookstores don§t
                        have her, I guess she is not currently in print.

                        Julie Michutka, wondering how to make punctuation work on this keyboard
                        jmichutka at yahoo dot com
                      • jmichutka
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 3 1:21 PM

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 3 9:11 PM
                            Ok, I concede, what's a perfect trip w/o a glitch?
                            You handled it quite well, carry on my dear and keep
                            reporting, enjoying the smirks.

                            I thought we in Chicago were the only ones to boot a
                            vehicle for parking violations, obviously it has
                            become world-renown, lol.

                            Caye

                            http://mail.yahoo.com