hi from Slovakia

  • jmichutka
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2006
      hi all,

      My daughter and I ¨have been in Slovakia since Tuesday. Had a couple
      of very hot days and now it is quite cool. The sun just wönt shine.
      Driving has been ok except for the second half of the trip from Blava to
      Zilina, where traffic was just awful and scary. Had lunch with our own
      Vladimir Bohinc, it was delightful to finally meet him. Zilina is still
      terrible to drive through, and who knew every hotel and pension in the
      city is booked during week days.

      At some point I made the big leap with my Slovak, and in the middle of
      a four hour visit with relatives who dont speak English, I realized that I
      hadnt been translating word for word in my head, and getting behind in
      the sentence, but was taking in whole sentences. Now I wasnt always
      understanding what was said, mind you, my Slovak still is lousy, but
      my mental processing of the language is now more internalized.

      Gotta go, tomorrow we drive to Kosice and jöin Helene§s tour. Drat this
      slovak kezboard...

      Julie Michutka, on the road
    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2006
        hi Julie,
        thanks for your email to Slovak World.
        will you get a chance to see the Tatras?
        enjoy your trip with your daughter and with Helene's tour. hope the weather
        is great for all of you. glad you got a chance to meet Vladimir B. i hope to
        meet him someday also.
        we will wait to hear your email updates.
        Noren

      • artistedoliver
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
          PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME FROM LIST
        • DOREEN CHANDLER
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
            unsubscribe me please

            artistedoliver <artistedoliver@...> wrote:
            PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME FROM LIST

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
              Thanks Julie -- enjoyed your update -- and look
              forward to you sharing some photos upon your return --
              thank you for the Zilna traffic report -- I think
              we'll be skirting Zilna at some point next month, so
              I'll expect the worst.

              Caye

              --- jmichutka <jmm@...> wrote:

              > hi all,
              >
              > My daughter and I ¨have been in Slovakia since
              > Tuesday. Had a couple
              > of very hot days and now it is quite cool. The sun
              > just wönt shine.
              > Driving has been ok except for the second half of
              > the trip from Blava to
              > Zilina, where traffic was just awful and scary. Had
              > lunch with our own
              > Vladimir Bohinc, it was delightful to finally meet
              > him. Zilina is still
              > terrible to drive through, and who knew every hotel
              > and pension in the
              > city is booked during week days.
              >
              > At some point I made the big leap with my Slovak,
              > and in the middle of
              > a four hour visit with relatives who dont speak
              > English, I realized that I
              > hadnt been translating word for word in my head, and
              > getting behind in
              > the sentence, but was taking in whole sentences.
              > Now I wasnt always
              > understanding what was said, mind you, my Slovak
              > still is lousy, but
              > my mental processing of the language is now more
              > internalized.
              >
              > Gotta go, tomorrow we drive to Kosice and jöin
              > Helene§s tour. Drat this
              > slovak kezboard...
              >
              > Julie Michutka, on the road

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • jmichutka
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
                In which our heroines arrive in Kosice with a police escort

                Spent last night at a lovely pension s.of Liptovsky Mikulas, wedged
                between the mts. Headed out this morning, to go thru Levoca on our
                way to Kosice. Weather finally cleared and it was beautiful. Unknown
                to our heroines, there was a pilgrimage in Levoca today, and one was
                not allowed to drive into the old city. One was not allowed to get to
                the highway...we had arrived via back roads...one was told by
                irritable police to go back a number of kilometers...so we did, picked
                up the signs to Kosice, and took the back roads all the way....old
                village after old village, incredible scenery, twisty winding roads
                and switchbacks, up and down......I§ve never done this kind of
                driving, but handled it just fine. Arrived in Kosice at a different
                point than anticipated, since I thought we d arrive via highway, and
                almost immediately started to get us lost. Saw four cops on a corner,
                pulled into a parking spot right next to them and jumped out of the
                car and asked for directions to Hotel Centrum. They quickly realized
                how useless it was to give me complex directions in Slovak, so two of
                them got in their cop car and indicated to me to follow them. They
                led us through lovely old narrow streets to the other side of town,
                right to the hotel. I was so grateful, and it was a lovely way to
                come back to this city.

                We ve already run into Helene, and tomorrow start our tour.

                Julie Michutka so dcerou
                jmichutka at yahoo dot com
              • e.gernat@att.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
                  From: "jmichutka" <jmm@...>
                  Hi Just thought I would tell you that 2 of my husband's cousins are on tour with you, Judy Ross and Phyllis Hughes. wish we were there also. We once got a police escort in Zilina when we went to a cousins house, it was easier than taking the time to translate or draw pictures. Enjoy enjoy Edie Tell all we said Hello Helen and Helene and everyone in Slovakia.

                  > In which our heroines arrive in Kosice with a police escort
                  >
                  > Spent last night at a lovely pension s.of Liptovsky Mikulas, wedged
                  > between the mts. Headed out this morning, to go thru Levoca on our
                  > way to Kosice. Weather finally cleared and it was beautiful. Unknown
                  > to our heroines, there was a pilgrimage in Levoca today, and one was
                  > not allowed to drive into the old city. One was not allowed to get to
                  > the highway...we had arrived via back roads...one was told by
                  > irritable police to go back a number of kilometers...so we did, picked
                  > up the signs to Kosice, and took the back roads all the way....old
                  > village after old village, incredible scenery, twisty winding roads
                  > and switchbacks, up and down......I�ve never done this kind of
                  > driving, but handled it just fine. Arrived in Kosice at a different
                  > point than anticipated, since I thought we d arrive via highway, and
                  > almost immediately started to get us lost. Saw four cops on a corner,
                  > pulled into a parking spot right next to them and jumped out of the
                  > car and asked for directions to Hotel Centrum. They quickly realized
                  > how useless it was to give me complex directions in Slovak, so two of
                  > them got in their cop car and indicated to me to follow them. They
                  > led us through lovely old narrow streets to the other side of town,
                  > right to the hotel. I was so grateful, and it was a lovely way to
                  > come back to this city.
                  >
                  > We ve already run into Helene, and tomorrow start our tour.
                  >
                  > Julie Michutka so dcerou
                  > jmichutka at yahoo dot com
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Fred G Kovalyak
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
                    What a wonderful story .....Please keep them coming.
                    Wish I were there and on Helenes Tour again.

                    fred G kovalyak
                    columbia,md

                    --- jmichutka <jmm@...> wrote:

                    > In which our heroines arrive in Kosice with a police escort
                    >
                    > Spent last night at a lovely pension s.of Liptovsky Mikulas, wedged
                    > between the mts. Headed out this morning, to go thru Levoca on our
                    > way to Kosice. Weather finally cleared and it was beautiful. Unknown
                    > to our heroines, there was a pilgrimage in Levoca today, and one was
                    > not allowed to drive into the old city. One was not allowed to get to
                    > the highway...we had arrived via back roads...one was told by
                    > irritable police to go back a number of kilometers...so we did, picked
                    > up the signs to Kosice, and took the back roads all the way....old
                    > village after old village, incredible scenery, twisty winding roads
                    > and switchbacks, up and down......I§ve never done this kind of
                    > driving, but handled it just fine. Arrived in Kosice at a different
                    > point than anticipated, since I thought we d arrive via highway, and
                    > almost immediately started to get us lost. Saw four cops on a corner,
                    > pulled into a parking spot right next to them and jumped out of the
                    > car and asked for directions to Hotel Centrum. They quickly realized
                    > how useless it was to give me complex directions in Slovak, so two of
                    > them got in their cop car and indicated to me to follow them. They
                    > led us through lovely old narrow streets to the other side of town,
                    > right to the hotel. I was so grateful, and it was a lovely way to
                    > come back to this city.
                    >
                    > We ve already run into Helene, and tomorrow start our tour.
                    >
                    > Julie Michutka so dcerou
                    > jmichutka at yahoo dot com

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Matchett
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
                      Julie, Thanks for e-mailing about your journey. Tell Skip & Elaine on
                      the tour, that I said hi. They're from Florida. Julia Matchett
                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
                        Fabulous -- police escort and Helene, perfect trip (so
                        far)!

                        Caye

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • jmichutka
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                          > Fabulous -- police escort and Helene, perfect trip (so
                          > far)!

                          errr...less than perfect, did I mention that I missed seeing the
                          parking thingy in Zilina and got booted. I pretended I was Helene and
                          that it was an amusing adventure. It took a lot of imagination.

                          big problems getting tour folks here, evidently storms in the USA
                          delayed flights....most, but not all, folks are here now, luggage is
                          hopefully on its way. Makes me really glad to have gotten here early,
                          we were lucky.

                          Found Timrava in slovak today, used copies only, new bookstores don§t
                          have her, I guess she is not currently in print.

                          Julie Michutka, wondering how to make punctuation work on this keyboard
                          jmichutka at yahoo dot com
                        • jmichutka
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
                              Ok, I concede, what's a perfect trip w/o a glitch?
                              You handled it quite well, carry on my dear and keep
                              reporting, enjoying the smirks.

                              I thought we in Chicago were the only ones to boot a
                              vehicle for parking violations, obviously it has
                              become world-renown, lol.

                              Caye

                              http://mail.yahoo.com