Re: [Slovak-World] hotel vs pension

  • Scott T. Mikusko
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
      On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 e.gernat@... wrote:

      > How do you find your pensions . Do most of the Slovaks who have pensions
      > know English that you visited. Ed

      Well, I hadn't stayed in Slovak ones, but Austrian ones.

      English is still pretty rare with those over the age of 30, IMO. Pray
      they have a young staff. :)

      I saw some small penzions in Bojnice back in 2000, but I was being the
      tourist and stayed in the rather icky Communist-era chic hotel near the
      castle. The view was gorgeous; the room was underwhelming.

      Since they are mainly very small boarding homes or actual family homes, I
      don't think they are as advanced in advertising as other places. Take
      Ireland for example. Many of their B&Bs now have online presence, so
      booking a small place anywhere in the country is a breeze.

      I'd probably start with local tourist info office, if they have one.

      -S
    • Mary Ellen Bayuk
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
        If you go to http://www.mountainparadise.co.uk/index.php you'll be
        able to access penzions in Slovakia. I just googled penzions in
        Slovakia and got a number of hits.

        At 01:39 PM 6/14/2006, Scott T. Mikusko wrote:
        >On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 e.gernat@... wrote:
        >
        > > How do you find your pensions . Do most of the Slovaks who have pensions
        > > know English that you visited. Ed
        >
        >Well, I hadn't stayed in Slovak ones, but Austrian ones.
        >
        >English is still pretty rare with those over the age of 30, IMO. Pray
        >they have a young staff. :)
        >
        >I saw some small penzions in Bojnice back in 2000, but I was being the
        >tourist and stayed in the rather icky Communist-era chic hotel near the
        >castle. The view was gorgeous; the room was underwhelming.
        >
        >Since they are mainly very small boarding homes or actual family homes, I
        >don't think they are as advanced in advertising as other places. Take
        >Ireland for example. Many of their B&Bs now have online presence, so
        >booking a small place anywhere in the country is a breeze.
        >
        >I'd probably start with local tourist info office, if they have one.
        >
        >-S
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Mary Ellen Bayuk
        Mary Ellen Bayuk, Ph.D.
        College Registrar
        Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
        5091 Station Road
        Erie, PA 16563-0201
        Phone: 814-898-6351 FAX: 814-898-6382
        email: meb5@... IM Screen Name: mebregistrar
        Office IM Screen Name: BehrendREG www.pserie.psu.edu

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
          Pensions in Slovakia - there are some - sort of in the beginning stages - many are for vacationers who come for a week or more but others take people overnight etc.

          i have seen some in the Bratislava area on a site that tells about hotels and other forms of lodging.

          Sometimes hard to make contact from here - easier to do from there.

          i don't know of any overall list -

          helene

          "Scott T. Mikusko" <guerilla@...> wrote:
          On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 e.gernat@... wrote:

          > How do you find your pensions . Do most of the Slovaks who have pensions
          > know English that you visited. Ed

          Well, I hadn't stayed in Slovak ones, but Austrian ones.

          English is still pretty rare with those over the age of 30, IMO. Pray
          they have a young staff. :)

          I saw some small penzions in Bojnice back in 2000, but I was being the
          tourist and stayed in the rather icky Communist-era chic hotel near the
          castle. The view was gorgeous; the room was underwhelming.

          Since they are mainly very small boarding homes or actual family homes, I
          don't think they are as advanced in advertising as other places. Take
          Ireland for example. Many of their B&Bs now have online presence, so
          booking a small place anywhere in the country is a breeze.

          I'd probably start with local tourist info office, if they have one.

          -S

        • J. Michutka
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
            Guidebooks also list them, and I've also googled them, using the town name
            and penzion or pension.

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

            At 01:53 PM 6/14/2006 -0400, you wrote:
            >If you go to http://www.mountainparadise.co.uk/index.php you'll be
            >able to access penzions in Slovakia. I just googled penzions in
            >Slovakia and got a number of hits.
            >
            >At 01:39 PM 6/14/2006, Scott T. Mikusko wrote:
            > >On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 e.gernat@... wrote:
            > >
            > > > How do you find your pensions . Do most of the Slovaks who have pensions
            > > > know English that you visited. Ed
            > >
            > >Well, I hadn't stayed in Slovak ones, but Austrian ones.
            > >
            > >English is still pretty rare with those over the age of 30, IMO. Pray
            > >they have a young staff. :)
            > >
            > >I saw some small penzions in Bojnice back in 2000, but I was being the
            > >tourist and stayed in the rather icky Communist-era chic hotel near the
            > >castle. The view was gorgeous; the room was underwhelming.
            > >
            > >Since they are mainly very small boarding homes or actual family homes, I
            > >don't think they are as advanced in advertising as other places. Take
            > >Ireland for example. Many of their B&Bs now have online presence, so
            > >booking a small place anywhere in the country is a breeze.
            > >
            > >I'd probably start with local tourist info office, if they have one.
            > >
            > >-S
            > >

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            >Mary Ellen Bayuk
            >Mary Ellen Bayuk, Ph.D.
            >College Registrar
            >Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
            >5091 Station Road
            >Erie, PA 16563-0201
            >Phone: 814-898-6351 FAX: 814-898-6382
            >email: meb5@... IM Screen Name: mebregistrar
            >Office IM Screen Name: BehrendREG www.pserie.psu.edu

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Linda Hartlaub
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
              Ed, when we visited last summer, all penzions had employees who spoke English. All were amazingly clean, friendly, and helpful. Every penzion provided breakfast (some at nominal cost: $1.50 - $2.00 per person), and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. The farther East you go, the more difficult it is to find someone on the street who speaks English (for directions to the penzion), but the penzion itself was no problem. Make sure your cell phone works in Eastern/Central Europe!!

              Linda