Helpa Festival Update

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
      In case anyone can make it to Helpa Folk Festival - June 23 - 25 - here is an update

      The festival opens on Fri. June 23 - with an 8 pm performance in the amphitheatre

      Sat. June 24 - Helene's photo exhibit Treasures of Horehronie will open at 11 am in the school on the festival grounds - you are invited! They made a beautiful poster!

      The traditional jarmok will be held from 10 - 6 pm on Saturday featuring the villages of Hrochot, Poniky and Priechod with many folk crafts from the region and serving gulas and cakes. Usually this is in town below the church.

      The Helpa kitchen will have gulky and krapne (not sure what this is)

      The Kudelna Izba will show folk textiles and how they were made

      1 - 4 pm Folk groups from all over Slovakia will perform

      5:30 is the Parade

      6:00 program featuring Poniky and Hrochot and other programs to follow

      Sunday the jarmok or market is 10 - 5 and the program begins at 1 pm

      if you go best to check a program or poster to see what takes place where

      would love to see you there!

      helene

    • Scott T. Mikusko
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
        On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 e.gernat@... wrote:

        > How do you find your pensions . Do most of the Slovaks who have pensions
        > know English that you visited. Ed

        Well, I hadn't stayed in Slovak ones, but Austrian ones.

        English is still pretty rare with those over the age of 30, IMO. Pray
        they have a young staff. :)

        I saw some small penzions in Bojnice back in 2000, but I was being the
        tourist and stayed in the rather icky Communist-era chic hotel near the
        castle. The view was gorgeous; the room was underwhelming.

        Since they are mainly very small boarding homes or actual family homes, I
        don't think they are as advanced in advertising as other places. Take
        Ireland for example. Many of their B&Bs now have online presence, so
        booking a small place anywhere in the country is a breeze.

        I'd probably start with local tourist info office, if they have one.

        -S
      • Mary Ellen Bayuk
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
          If you go to http://www.mountainparadise.co.uk/index.php you'll be
          able to access penzions in Slovakia. I just googled penzions in
          Slovakia and got a number of hits.

          At 01:39 PM 6/14/2006, Scott T. Mikusko wrote:
          >On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 e.gernat@... wrote:
          >
          > > How do you find your pensions . Do most of the Slovaks who have pensions
          > > know English that you visited. Ed
          >
          >Well, I hadn't stayed in Slovak ones, but Austrian ones.
          >
          >English is still pretty rare with those over the age of 30, IMO. Pray
          >they have a young staff. :)
          >
          >I saw some small penzions in Bojnice back in 2000, but I was being the
          >tourist and stayed in the rather icky Communist-era chic hotel near the
          >castle. The view was gorgeous; the room was underwhelming.
          >
          >Since they are mainly very small boarding homes or actual family homes, I
          >don't think they are as advanced in advertising as other places. Take
          >Ireland for example. Many of their B&Bs now have online presence, so
          >booking a small place anywhere in the country is a breeze.
          >
          >I'd probably start with local tourist info office, if they have one.
          >
          >-S
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Mary Ellen Bayuk
          Mary Ellen Bayuk, Ph.D.
          College Registrar
          Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
          5091 Station Road
          Erie, PA 16563-0201
          Phone: 814-898-6351 FAX: 814-898-6382
          email: meb5@... IM Screen Name: mebregistrar
          Office IM Screen Name: BehrendREG www.pserie.psu.edu

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
            Pensions in Slovakia - there are some - sort of in the beginning stages - many are for vacationers who come for a week or more but others take people overnight etc.

            i have seen some in the Bratislava area on a site that tells about hotels and other forms of lodging.

            Sometimes hard to make contact from here - easier to do from there.

            i don't know of any overall list -

            helene

            "Scott T. Mikusko" <guerilla@...> wrote:
            On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 e.gernat@... wrote:

            > How do you find your pensions . Do most of the Slovaks who have pensions
            > know English that you visited. Ed

            Well, I hadn't stayed in Slovak ones, but Austrian ones.

            English is still pretty rare with those over the age of 30, IMO. Pray
            they have a young staff. :)

            I saw some small penzions in Bojnice back in 2000, but I was being the
            tourist and stayed in the rather icky Communist-era chic hotel near the
            castle. The view was gorgeous; the room was underwhelming.

            Since they are mainly very small boarding homes or actual family homes, I
            don't think they are as advanced in advertising as other places. Take
            Ireland for example. Many of their B&Bs now have online presence, so
            booking a small place anywhere in the country is a breeze.

            I'd probably start with local tourist info office, if they have one.

            -S

          • J. Michutka
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
              Guidebooks also list them, and I've also googled them, using the town name
              and penzion or pension.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...

              At 01:53 PM 6/14/2006 -0400, you wrote:
              >If you go to http://www.mountainparadise.co.uk/index.php you'll be
              >able to access penzions in Slovakia. I just googled penzions in
              >Slovakia and got a number of hits.
              >
              >At 01:39 PM 6/14/2006, Scott T. Mikusko wrote:
              > >On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 e.gernat@... wrote:
              > >
              > > > How do you find your pensions . Do most of the Slovaks who have pensions
              > > > know English that you visited. Ed
              > >
              > >Well, I hadn't stayed in Slovak ones, but Austrian ones.
              > >
              > >English is still pretty rare with those over the age of 30, IMO. Pray
              > >they have a young staff. :)
              > >
              > >I saw some small penzions in Bojnice back in 2000, but I was being the
              > >tourist and stayed in the rather icky Communist-era chic hotel near the
              > >castle. The view was gorgeous; the room was underwhelming.
              > >
              > >Since they are mainly very small boarding homes or actual family homes, I
              > >don't think they are as advanced in advertising as other places. Take
              > >Ireland for example. Many of their B&Bs now have online presence, so
              > >booking a small place anywhere in the country is a breeze.
              > >
              > >I'd probably start with local tourist info office, if they have one.
              > >
              > >-S
              > >

              > >Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              >Mary Ellen Bayuk
              >Mary Ellen Bayuk, Ph.D.
              >College Registrar
              >Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
              >5091 Station Road
              >Erie, PA 16563-0201
              >Phone: 814-898-6351 FAX: 814-898-6382
              >email: meb5@... IM Screen Name: mebregistrar
              >Office IM Screen Name: BehrendREG www.pserie.psu.edu

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Linda Hartlaub
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
                Ed, when we visited last summer, all penzions had employees who spoke English. All were amazingly clean, friendly, and helpful. Every penzion provided breakfast (some at nominal cost: $1.50 - $2.00 per person), and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. The farther East you go, the more difficult it is to find someone on the street who speaks English (for directions to the penzion), but the penzion itself was no problem. Make sure your cell phone works in Eastern/Central Europe!!

                Linda