RE: [Slovak-World] Photo Exhibit at Helpa Festival, June 23 - 25

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
      HI Steve - in and out - taking a group to romania on Aug 1 from Kosice and then return Aug 11 - then last group for Three Countries trip Aug 12 - 21 and then going to visit a friend in Budapest for a week. So maybe back at the end of the month.

      Will you be in Slovakia then?

      helene

      kmzluky <meadow10@...> wrote:
      Helene,
      Will you be in Slovakia in August?
      Steve

      photo exhibit at Helpa Folk Festival, June 23 - 25. It will feature photos
      from the beautiful Horehronie region, neighboring regions of Detva, Liptov,
      Spis, as well as photos throughout Sklovakia that my mother and I have
      taken during the past 36 years.
      > The exhibit will be held in the school on the festival grounds
      overlooking the village and under the peaks of the Middle Tatras. Expect
      the opening will begin at 3 or 4 pm - would love to see you there. (If you
      want to contact me I can give you my Slovak mobil phone number - expect to
      have it beginning June 22).

      > Helpa Festival is a good deal smaller than Detva and Vychodna - which
      by the way they just cancelled as the new amphitheatre is not ready - but
      it is a very sweet festival. The folk music, dance and dress are
      outstanding!

      > One of my favorite things is Friday afternoon when they erect a
      "remembrance room" decorated with folk dress and embroideries and village
      treasures - the elderly ladies are there spinning and sewing and telling
      stories; the older village men come to joke and sing songs and play the
      accordion and the fujara and there is a super booth where you can taste all
      the local specialties - like gulky - yum are they filling and wonderful and
      buttermilk and baked goods - it's lots of fun and great photo opps. Often
      there are craft booths set up here and performances on Sat. morning or
      there have been in the past.

      > This takes place in a little square in the village below the church.
      The festival is at the other end of town up on the hillside.so be sure to
      check out the program so you don't miss anything. And things do change so
      hope this fun part is still going to be held. The festival performances
      begin Fri and continue through Sat. and Sun.

      > helene

      > Slovakia phone card Slovakia call Bratislava slovakia
      Hotel slovakia Slovakia phone Slovakia

    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
        At 08:46 AM 5/31/2006, you wrote:
        >My exhibit in Levoca has opened, take a look.
        >http://www.snm.sk/?lang=svk&org=11§ion=podu&id=463

        Translated text:
        GOTHIC EMOTIONS
        EMÓCIE GOTIKY,
        Vladimir Linder

        Is an exhibit of photographs from the church of
        St. James in Levoca from photographer Vladimir
        Linder. Concept of the exhibit is based in
        capturing and illustration of emotions in Gothic
        statues through the lens of author complimented
        by quotations from that era and texts dedicated
        to the given subject. More than 60 photographs
        are on display mostly of portrait character,
        which attract by remarkable views of gothic
        statues from Church of St. James in Levo a.
        Photographs are evoking immense survival of
        emotionally strained moments. They have portrait
        character and they are possibility for comparison
        of common view of monumental works and detailed
        not much visible and not very well known looks.
        Comparison offers also time spectrum of early
        gothic up to its late period coming from hands of
        Master Pavol from Levoca. Subject matter is
        abundant. Prevailing is Laying to the grave, Last
        supper, Crucifixion, saints and woman saints in
        moments of torture, ecstasy, prayers… Selection
        of photographs was made in consideration of the
        name of the whole exhibit: Gothic Emotions, and
        it tried to pick up indication of
        characterization of statue as part of
        psychologization of individual statues,
        progressed crystallization of portrait features
        and using wide palette of gestures.
        Text part of the exhibit is complementing
        medieval texts as inseparable and important part
        of medieval perception of work of art,
        appreciation of beauty and connecting
        spirituality with artistic expression. The goal
        is presentation of abundant unique cultural
        heritage-with eye of photographer and comparison
        with literary works. The photographs are
        complimented by copies of works of Master Pavol
        from Levo a-plaster moulds from last supper-from
        the main altar of the church of St. James in Levo
        a. Interesting part of exhibition is so called
        Three of knowledge on which there are statements
        and quotations from works of medieval
        authors. Component of exhibit is also computer
        presentation of more than 200 photographs, that
        were supplied by Vladimir Linder and thus makes
        possible even more looks that were unable to be
        installed. Component of this exhibit are also
        whole looks at altars, so we can offer our
        visitors possibility to view the complete works.
        Exhibit will be open until August 11, 2006 in the
        premises of the Old City Hall.
      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
          You can take a virtual tour of my exhibit:

          http://lindervideo.com/Levoca2006/01.htm

          Vladimir Linder

          I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral
          Village Photography in Slovakia.

          More information on:
          Genealogical research:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
          Ancestral Village Videos:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
          Ancestral Village Photography:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm
          History of any village or town in Slovakia:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

          Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$45.00 per page

          Next genealogical and ancestral village videos and photography trip
          starts JUNE 12, 2006
          To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
          My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291

          Email: vlinder49@...

          Contact me for more details

          Vladimir Linder
          3804 Yale Street
          Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
          Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
        • kmzluky
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
            Hi Helene,
            Yes, we will be there from Aug. 2nd to the 15th. Will be at Liptovska
            Teplica festival and what ever else we can find. Thought maybe we could
            catch up to you.
            Steve

            Service.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
              HI STEVE - In Romania til Aug 10 - then Kosice and party in a tokaj wine cellar that night; Aug 12 and 13 we are going to Miscolc Hungary but will be back in Slovakia on the 14th for dinner and a wonderful folk performance in a village near Detva - you are welcome to join us - we will be staying in Banska Bystrica - does any of this work for you????

              know you will enjoy the liptovska Teplicka Festival - take warm clothes for the evening performances.

              helene

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                Hi Helene,
                To bad we won't be able to connect. We will be leaving for Kosice and our
                trip home about that time.
                Thanks for the tip on the warm clothes. The nights do get cold.
                When is your next publication coming out? I will have most of the correct
                info by
                the 21st of this month for the NJ festival. (our next meeting date)
                Looking forward to the trip and the festivals.
                Steve