RE: [Slovak-World] Photo Exhibit at Helpa Festival, June 23 - 25

  • kmzluky
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
      Helene,
      Will you be in Slovakia in August?
      Steve

      photo exhibit at Helpa Folk Festival, June 23 - 25. It will feature photos
      from the beautiful Horehronie region, neighboring regions of Detva, Liptov,
      Spis, as well as photos throughout Sklovakia that my mother and I have
      taken during the past 36 years.
      > The exhibit will be held in the school on the festival grounds
      overlooking the village and under the peaks of the Middle Tatras. Expect
      the opening will begin at 3 or 4 pm - would love to see you there. (If you
      want to contact me I can give you my Slovak mobil phone number - expect to
      have it beginning June 22).

      > Helpa Festival is a good deal smaller than Detva and Vychodna - which
      by the way they just cancelled as the new amphitheatre is not ready - but
      it is a very sweet festival. The folk music, dance and dress are
      outstanding!

      > One of my favorite things is Friday afternoon when they erect a
      "remembrance room" decorated with folk dress and embroideries and village
      treasures - the elderly ladies are there spinning and sewing and telling
      stories; the older village men come to joke and sing songs and play the
      accordion and the fujara and there is a super booth where you can taste all
      the local specialties - like gulky - yum are they filling and wonderful and
      buttermilk and baked goods - it's lots of fun and great photo opps. Often
      there are craft booths set up here and performances on Sat. morning or
      there have been in the past.

      > This takes place in a little square in the village below the church.
      The festival is at the other end of town up on the hillside.so be sure to
      check out the program so you don't miss anything. And things do change so
      hope this fun part is still going to be held. The festival performances
      begin Fri and continue through Sat. and Sun.

      > helene

      > Slovakia phone card Slovakia call Bratislava slovakia
      Hotel slovakia Slovakia phone Slovakia

    • durisek
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
        HI Helene...
        Just back from SK 3 weeks.... Sorry to have missed your exhibit....Always a fun party.
        Zuzka

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
          HI Steve - in and out - taking a group to romania on Aug 1 from Kosice and then return Aug 11 - then last group for Three Countries trip Aug 12 - 21 and then going to visit a friend in Budapest for a week. So maybe back at the end of the month.

          Will you be in Slovakia then?

          helene

          kmzluky <meadow10@...> wrote:
          Helene,
          Will you be in Slovakia in August?
          Steve

        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
            At 08:46 AM 5/31/2006, you wrote:
            >My exhibit in Levoca has opened, take a look.
            >http://www.snm.sk/?lang=svk&org=11§ion=podu&id=463

            Translated text:
            GOTHIC EMOTIONS
            EMÓCIE GOTIKY,
            Vladimir Linder

            Is an exhibit of photographs from the church of
            St. James in Levoca from photographer Vladimir
            Linder. Concept of the exhibit is based in
            capturing and illustration of emotions in Gothic
            statues through the lens of author complimented
            by quotations from that era and texts dedicated
            to the given subject. More than 60 photographs
            are on display mostly of portrait character,
            which attract by remarkable views of gothic
            statues from Church of St. James in Levo a.
            Photographs are evoking immense survival of
            emotionally strained moments. They have portrait
            character and they are possibility for comparison
            of common view of monumental works and detailed
            not much visible and not very well known looks.
            Comparison offers also time spectrum of early
            gothic up to its late period coming from hands of
            Master Pavol from Levoca. Subject matter is
            abundant. Prevailing is Laying to the grave, Last
            supper, Crucifixion, saints and woman saints in
            moments of torture, ecstasy, prayers… Selection
            of photographs was made in consideration of the
            name of the whole exhibit: Gothic Emotions, and
            it tried to pick up indication of
            characterization of statue as part of
            psychologization of individual statues,
            progressed crystallization of portrait features
            and using wide palette of gestures.
            Text part of the exhibit is complementing
            medieval texts as inseparable and important part
            of medieval perception of work of art,
            appreciation of beauty and connecting
            spirituality with artistic expression. The goal
            is presentation of abundant unique cultural
            heritage-with eye of photographer and comparison
            with literary works. The photographs are
            complimented by copies of works of Master Pavol
            from Levo a-plaster moulds from last supper-from
            the main altar of the church of St. James in Levo
            a. Interesting part of exhibition is so called
            Three of knowledge on which there are statements
            and quotations from works of medieval
            authors. Component of exhibit is also computer
            presentation of more than 200 photographs, that
            were supplied by Vladimir Linder and thus makes
            possible even more looks that were unable to be
            installed. Component of this exhibit are also
            whole looks at altars, so we can offer our
            visitors possibility to view the complete works.
            Exhibit will be open until August 11, 2006 in the
            premises of the Old City Hall.
          • Vladimir Linder
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
              You can take a virtual tour of my exhibit:

              http://lindervideo.com/Levoca2006/01.htm

              Vladimir Linder

              I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral
              Village Photography in Slovakia.

              More information on:
              Genealogical research:
              http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
              Ancestral Village Videos:
              http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
              Ancestral Village Photography:
              http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm
              History of any village or town in Slovakia:
              http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

              Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$45.00 per page

              Next genealogical and ancestral village videos and photography trip
              starts JUNE 12, 2006
              To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
              My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291

              Email: vlinder49@...

              Contact me for more details

              Vladimir Linder
              3804 Yale Street
              Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
              Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
            • kmzluky
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                Hi Helene,
                Yes, we will be there from Aug. 2nd to the 15th. Will be at Liptovska
                Teplica festival and what ever else we can find. Thought maybe we could
                catch up to you.
                Steve

                Service.

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                  HI STEVE - In Romania til Aug 10 - then Kosice and party in a tokaj wine cellar that night; Aug 12 and 13 we are going to Miscolc Hungary but will be back in Slovakia on the 14th for dinner and a wonderful folk performance in a village near Detva - you are welcome to join us - we will be staying in Banska Bystrica - does any of this work for you????

                  know you will enjoy the liptovska Teplicka Festival - take warm clothes for the evening performances.

                  helene

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                    Hi Helene,
                    To bad we won't be able to connect. We will be leaving for Kosice and our
                    trip home about that time.
                    Thanks for the tip on the warm clothes. The nights do get cold.
                    When is your next publication coming out? I will have most of the correct
                    info by
                    the 21st of this month for the NJ festival. (our next meeting date)
                    Looking forward to the trip and the festivals.
                    Steve