Photo Exhibit at Helpa Festival, June 23 - 25

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
      Anyone who will be in Slovakia towards the end of June is invited to our photo exhibit at Helpa Folk Festival, June 23 - 25. It will feature photos from the beautiful Horehronie region, neighboring regions of Detva, Liptov, Spis, as well as photos throughout Sklovakia that my mother and I have taken during the past 36 years.
      The exhibit will be held in the school on the festival grounds overlooking the village and under the peaks of the Middle Tatras. Expect the opening will begin at 3 or 4 pm - would love to see you there. (If you want to contact me I can give you my Slovak mobil phone number - expect to have it beginning June 22).

      Helpa Festival is a good deal smaller than Detva and Vychodna - which by the way they just cancelled as the new amphitheatre is not ready - but it is a very sweet festival. The folk music, dance and dress are outstanding!

      One of my favorite things is Friday afternoon when they erect a "remembrance room" decorated with folk dress and embroideries and village treasures - the elderly ladies are there spinning and sewing and telling stories; the older village men come to joke and sing songs and play the accordion and the fujara and there is a super booth where you can taste all the local specialties - like gulky - yum are they filling and wonderful and buttermilk and baked goods - it's lots of fun and great photo opps. Often there are craft booths set up here and performances on Sat. morning or there have been in the past.

      This takes place in a little square in the village below the church. The festival is at the other end of town up on the hillside.so be sure to check out the program so you don't miss anything. And things do change so hope this fun part is still going to be held. The festival performances begin Fri and continue through Sat. and Sun.

      helene

    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
        At 02:46 PM 6/1/2006 -0700, you wrote:
        >Anyone who will be in Slovakia towards the end of June is invited to our
        >photo exhibit at Helpa Folk Festival, June 23 - 25.

        Shoot--we arrive two days later.

        > Helpa Festival is a good deal smaller than Detva and Vychodna - which
        > by the way they just cancelled as the new amphitheatre is not ready

        Wait--they've cancelled the festival at Vychodna???? Really??? We were
        planning to go! Rats!!!

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
          Helene see you there, I am looking forward to see the exhibit.

          As usual I will have another exhibit at XI. year of folklore festival
          under KRALOVA HOLA in LIPTOVSKA TEPLICKA August 5 and 6. Opening on
          August 5 2 PM. Everybody is welcome here.

          Vladi

          At 02:46 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
          >Anyone who will be in Slovakia towards the end of June is invited to
          >our photo exhibit at Helpa Folk Festival, June 23 - 25. It will
          >feature photos from the beautiful Horehronie region, neighboring
          >regions of Detva, Liptov, Spis, as well as photos throughout
          >Sklovakia that my mother and I have taken during the past 36 years.
          > The exhibit will be held in the school on the festival grounds
          > overlooking the village and under the peaks of the Middle Tatras.
          > Expect the opening will begin at 3 or 4 pm - would love to see you
          > there. (If you want to contact me I can give you my Slovak mobil
          > phone number - expect to have it beginning June 22).
          >
          > Helpa Festival is a good deal smaller than Detva and Vychodna -
          > which by the way they just cancelled as the new amphitheatre is not
          > ready - but it is a very sweet festival. The folk music, dance and
          > dress are outstanding!
          >
          > One of my favorite things is Friday afternoon when they erect a
          > "remembrance room" decorated with folk dress and embroideries and
          > village treasures - the elderly ladies are there spinning and
          > sewing and telling stories; the older village men come to joke and
          > sing songs and play the accordion and the fujara and there is a
          > super booth where you can taste all the local specialties - like
          > gulky - yum are they filling and wonderful and buttermilk and baked
          > goods - it's lots of fun and great photo opps. Often there are
          > craft booths set up here and performances on Sat. morning or there
          > have been in the past.
          >
          > This takes place in a little square in the village below the
          > church. The festival is at the other end of town up on the
          > hillside.so be sure to check out the program so you don't miss
          > anything. And things do change so hope this fun part is still going
          > to be held. The festival performances begin Fri and continue
          > through Sat. and Sun.
          >
          > helene

          Vladimir Linder

          I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral
          Village Photography in Slovakia.

          More information on:
          Genealogical research:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
          Ancestral Village Videos:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
          Ancestral Village Photography:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm
          History of any village or town in Slovakia:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

          Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$45.00 per page

          Next genealogical and ancestral village videos and photography trip
          starts JUNE 12, 2006
          To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
          My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291

          Email: vlinder49@...

          Contact me for more details

          Vladimir Linder
          3804 Yale Street
          Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
          Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
            Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote: Helene see you there, I am looking forward to see the exhibit.THAT'S GREAT VLAD - HOPE YOU CAN COME TO THE OPENING

            As usual I will have another exhibit at XI. year of folklore festival
            under KRALOVA HOLA in LIPTOVSKA TEPLICKA August 5 and 6. Opening on
            August 5 2 PM. Everybody is welcome here. THAT IS ANOTHER SPECIAL AND SWEET FESTIVAL! WISH I COULD BE THERE - BUT WILL BE LEADING A GROUP IN ROMANIA

            THE AMPHITHEATRE THERE HAS SUCH A DRAMATIC SETTING!!!!
            AND THE PARTIES ARE GOOD TOO!!!!

            REMEMBER DEB JACKSON WHO SANG AT THE FESTIVAL ONE YEAR - SHE IS GOING TO PERFORM IN PIESTANY AT OUR ANNUAL GALA PARTY ON JULY 28 IN THE HISTORIC KURSALON IN THE HEART OF PIESTANY.

            IT WILL BE A CONCERT - DANCE PARTY AND DEB WILL PERFORM ALONG WITH INTERNATIONAL SINGING STAR JOZEF IVASKA - THEY WILL DO SOME DUETS - SHOULD BE FUN!

            IF ANYONE WILL BE IN THE PIESTANY AREA THEN AND WANTS TO JOIN US - E MAIL ME FOR MORE INFO

            helene
            helenezx@...

          • Vladimir Linder
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
              I will be in Helpa from about noon on friday.

              Vladi

              At 06:28 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:

              >Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote: Helene see you there,
              >I am looking forward to see the exhibit.THAT'S GREAT VLAD - HOPE YOU
              >CAN COME TO THE OPENING
              >
              >As usual I will have another exhibit at XI. year of folklore festival
              >under KRALOVA HOLA in LIPTOVSKA TEPLICKA August 5 and 6. Opening on
              >August 5 2 PM. Everybody is welcome here. THAT IS ANOTHER SPECIAL
              >AND SWEET FESTIVAL! WISH I COULD BE THERE - BUT WILL BE LEADING A
              >GROUP IN ROMANIA
              >
              > THE AMPHITHEATRE THERE HAS SUCH A DRAMATIC SETTING!!!!
              > AND THE PARTIES ARE GOOD TOO!!!!
              >
              > REMEMBER DEB JACKSON WHO SANG AT THE FESTIVAL ONE YEAR - SHE IS
              > GOING TO PERFORM IN PIESTANY AT OUR ANNUAL GALA PARTY ON JULY 28 IN
              > THE HISTORIC KURSALON IN THE HEART OF PIESTANY.
              >
              > IT WILL BE A CONCERT - DANCE PARTY AND DEB WILL PERFORM ALONG
              > WITH INTERNATIONAL SINGING STAR JOZEF IVASKA - THEY WILL DO SOME
              > DUETS - SHOULD BE FUN!
              >
              > IF ANYONE WILL BE IN THE PIESTANY AREA THEN AND WANTS TO JOIN US
              > - E MAIL ME FOR MORE INFO
              >
              > helene
              > helenezx@...

              > Slovakia phone card Slovakia call Bratislava
              > slovakia Hotel slovakia Slovakia phone Slovakia

              >phone card
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia+call&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=chO1bkXch07FfvTG3Hly7Q>Slovakia
              >call
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Bratislava+slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=xXIK730FZxwfPZh6C_b8cg>Bratislava
              >slovakia
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hotel+slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=ZZfegUggrbhmbRi57TfUbw>Hotel
              >slovakia
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia+phone&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=D2lrJO4Qgv1x0Xnpgi7-DA>Slovakia
              >phone
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=OIcMxojXFaOt3ZQvYvdIvQ>Slovakia

              > *
              >

              >----------
            • kmzluky
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
                Helene,
                Will you be in Slovakia in August?
                Steve

              • durisek
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
                  HI Helene...
                  Just back from SK 3 weeks.... Sorry to have missed your exhibit....Always a fun party.
                  Zuzka

                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                    HI Steve - in and out - taking a group to romania on Aug 1 from Kosice and then return Aug 11 - then last group for Three Countries trip Aug 12 - 21 and then going to visit a friend in Budapest for a week. So maybe back at the end of the month.

                    Will you be in Slovakia then?

                    helene

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                      At 08:46 AM 5/31/2006, you wrote:
                      >My exhibit in Levoca has opened, take a look.
                      >http://www.snm.sk/?lang=svk&org=11§ion=podu&id=463

                      Translated text:
                      GOTHIC EMOTIONS
                      EMÓCIE GOTIKY,
                      Vladimir Linder

                      Is an exhibit of photographs from the church of
                      St. James in Levoca from photographer Vladimir
                      Linder. Concept of the exhibit is based in
                      capturing and illustration of emotions in Gothic
                      statues through the lens of author complimented
                      by quotations from that era and texts dedicated
                      to the given subject. More than 60 photographs
                      are on display mostly of portrait character,
                      which attract by remarkable views of gothic
                      statues from Church of St. James in Levo a.
                      Photographs are evoking immense survival of
                      emotionally strained moments. They have portrait
                      character and they are possibility for comparison
                      of common view of monumental works and detailed
                      not much visible and not very well known looks.
                      Comparison offers also time spectrum of early
                      gothic up to its late period coming from hands of
                      Master Pavol from Levoca. Subject matter is
                      abundant. Prevailing is Laying to the grave, Last
                      supper, Crucifixion, saints and woman saints in
                      moments of torture, ecstasy, prayers… Selection
                      of photographs was made in consideration of the
                      name of the whole exhibit: Gothic Emotions, and
                      it tried to pick up indication of
                      characterization of statue as part of
                      psychologization of individual statues,
                      progressed crystallization of portrait features
                      and using wide palette of gestures.
                      Text part of the exhibit is complementing
                      medieval texts as inseparable and important part
                      of medieval perception of work of art,
                      appreciation of beauty and connecting
                      spirituality with artistic expression. The goal
                      is presentation of abundant unique cultural
                      heritage-with eye of photographer and comparison
                      with literary works. The photographs are
                      complimented by copies of works of Master Pavol
                      from Levo a-plaster moulds from last supper-from
                      the main altar of the church of St. James in Levo
                      a. Interesting part of exhibition is so called
                      Three of knowledge on which there are statements
                      and quotations from works of medieval
                      authors. Component of exhibit is also computer
                      presentation of more than 200 photographs, that
                      were supplied by Vladimir Linder and thus makes
                      possible even more looks that were unable to be
                      installed. Component of this exhibit are also
                      whole looks at altars, so we can offer our
                      visitors possibility to view the complete works.
                      Exhibit will be open until August 11, 2006 in the
                      premises of the Old City Hall.
                    • Vladimir Linder

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                          Hi Helene,
                          Yes, we will be there from Aug. 2nd to the 15th. Will be at Liptovska
                          Teplica festival and what ever else we can find. Thought maybe we could
                          catch up to you.
                          Steve

                          Service.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                            HI STEVE - In Romania til Aug 10 - then Kosice and party in a tokaj wine cellar that night; Aug 12 and 13 we are going to Miscolc Hungary but will be back in Slovakia on the 14th for dinner and a wonderful folk performance in a village near Detva - you are welcome to join us - we will be staying in Banska Bystrica - does any of this work for you????

                            know you will enjoy the liptovska Teplicka Festival - take warm clothes for the evening performances.

                            helene

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                              Hi Helene,
                              To bad we won't be able to connect. We will be leaving for Kosice and our
                              trip home about that time.
                              Thanks for the tip on the warm clothes. The nights do get cold.
                              When is your next publication coming out? I will have most of the correct
                              info by
                              the 21st of this month for the NJ festival. (our next meeting date)
                              Looking forward to the trip and the festivals.
                              Steve