Re: [Slovak-World] Exhibit in LEVOCA

  • pjjano@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , May 31, 2006
      not having much luck could see the exhibit but could not view it thanks Paul
      Janosik you always have such great exhibits

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
        Anyone who will be in Slovakia towards the end of June is invited to our photo exhibit at Helpa Folk Festival, June 23 - 25. It will feature photos from the beautiful Horehronie region, neighboring regions of Detva, Liptov, Spis, as well as photos throughout Sklovakia that my mother and I have taken during the past 36 years.
        The exhibit will be held in the school on the festival grounds overlooking the village and under the peaks of the Middle Tatras. Expect the opening will begin at 3 or 4 pm - would love to see you there. (If you want to contact me I can give you my Slovak mobil phone number - expect to have it beginning June 22).

        Helpa Festival is a good deal smaller than Detva and Vychodna - which by the way they just cancelled as the new amphitheatre is not ready - but it is a very sweet festival. The folk music, dance and dress are outstanding!

        One of my favorite things is Friday afternoon when they erect a "remembrance room" decorated with folk dress and embroideries and village treasures - the elderly ladies are there spinning and sewing and telling stories; the older village men come to joke and sing songs and play the accordion and the fujara and there is a super booth where you can taste all the local specialties - like gulky - yum are they filling and wonderful and buttermilk and baked goods - it's lots of fun and great photo opps. Often there are craft booths set up here and performances on Sat. morning or there have been in the past.

        This takes place in a little square in the village below the church. The festival is at the other end of town up on the hillside.so be sure to check out the program so you don't miss anything. And things do change so hope this fun part is still going to be held. The festival performances begin Fri and continue through Sat. and Sun.

        helene

      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
          At 02:46 PM 6/1/2006 -0700, you wrote:
          >Anyone who will be in Slovakia towards the end of June is invited to our
          >photo exhibit at Helpa Folk Festival, June 23 - 25.

          Shoot--we arrive two days later.

          > Helpa Festival is a good deal smaller than Detva and Vychodna - which
          > by the way they just cancelled as the new amphitheatre is not ready

          Wait--they've cancelled the festival at Vychodna???? Really??? We were
          planning to go! Rats!!!

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
            Helene see you there, I am looking forward to see the exhibit.

            As usual I will have another exhibit at XI. year of folklore festival
            under KRALOVA HOLA in LIPTOVSKA TEPLICKA August 5 and 6. Opening on
            August 5 2 PM. Everybody is welcome here.

            Vladi

            At 02:46 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
            >Anyone who will be in Slovakia towards the end of June is invited to
            >our photo exhibit at Helpa Folk Festival, June 23 - 25. It will
            >feature photos from the beautiful Horehronie region, neighboring
            >regions of Detva, Liptov, Spis, as well as photos throughout
            >Sklovakia that my mother and I have taken during the past 36 years.
            > The exhibit will be held in the school on the festival grounds
            > overlooking the village and under the peaks of the Middle Tatras.
            > Expect the opening will begin at 3 or 4 pm - would love to see you
            > there. (If you want to contact me I can give you my Slovak mobil
            > phone number - expect to have it beginning June 22).
            >
            > Helpa Festival is a good deal smaller than Detva and Vychodna -
            > which by the way they just cancelled as the new amphitheatre is not
            > ready - but it is a very sweet festival. The folk music, dance and
            > dress are outstanding!
            >
            > One of my favorite things is Friday afternoon when they erect a
            > "remembrance room" decorated with folk dress and embroideries and
            > village treasures - the elderly ladies are there spinning and
            > sewing and telling stories; the older village men come to joke and
            > sing songs and play the accordion and the fujara and there is a
            > super booth where you can taste all the local specialties - like
            > gulky - yum are they filling and wonderful and buttermilk and baked
            > goods - it's lots of fun and great photo opps. Often there are
            > craft booths set up here and performances on Sat. morning or there
            > have been in the past.
            >
            > This takes place in a little square in the village below the
            > church. The festival is at the other end of town up on the
            > hillside.so be sure to check out the program so you don't miss
            > anything. And things do change so hope this fun part is still going
            > to be held. The festival performances begin Fri and continue
            > through Sat. and Sun.
            >
            > helene

            Vladimir Linder

            I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral
            Village Photography in Slovakia.

            More information on:
            Genealogical research:
            http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
            Ancestral Village Videos:
            http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
            Ancestral Village Photography:
            http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm
            History of any village or town in Slovakia:
            http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

            Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$45.00 per page

            Next genealogical and ancestral village videos and photography trip
            starts JUNE 12, 2006
            To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
            My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291

            Email: vlinder49@...

            Contact me for more details

            Vladimir Linder
            3804 Yale Street
            Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
            Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
              Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote: Helene see you there, I am looking forward to see the exhibit.THAT'S GREAT VLAD - HOPE YOU CAN COME TO THE OPENING

              As usual I will have another exhibit at XI. year of folklore festival
              under KRALOVA HOLA in LIPTOVSKA TEPLICKA August 5 and 6. Opening on
              August 5 2 PM. Everybody is welcome here. THAT IS ANOTHER SPECIAL AND SWEET FESTIVAL! WISH I COULD BE THERE - BUT WILL BE LEADING A GROUP IN ROMANIA

              THE AMPHITHEATRE THERE HAS SUCH A DRAMATIC SETTING!!!!
              AND THE PARTIES ARE GOOD TOO!!!!

              REMEMBER DEB JACKSON WHO SANG AT THE FESTIVAL ONE YEAR - SHE IS GOING TO PERFORM IN PIESTANY AT OUR ANNUAL GALA PARTY ON JULY 28 IN THE HISTORIC KURSALON IN THE HEART OF PIESTANY.

              IT WILL BE A CONCERT - DANCE PARTY AND DEB WILL PERFORM ALONG WITH INTERNATIONAL SINGING STAR JOZEF IVASKA - THEY WILL DO SOME DUETS - SHOULD BE FUN!

              IF ANYONE WILL BE IN THE PIESTANY AREA THEN AND WANTS TO JOIN US - E MAIL ME FOR MORE INFO

              helene
              helenezx@...

            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
                I will be in Helpa from about noon on friday.

                Vladi

                At 06:28 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:

                >Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote: Helene see you there,
                >I am looking forward to see the exhibit.THAT'S GREAT VLAD - HOPE YOU
                >CAN COME TO THE OPENING
                >
                >As usual I will have another exhibit at XI. year of folklore festival
                >under KRALOVA HOLA in LIPTOVSKA TEPLICKA August 5 and 6. Opening on
                >August 5 2 PM. Everybody is welcome here. THAT IS ANOTHER SPECIAL
                >AND SWEET FESTIVAL! WISH I COULD BE THERE - BUT WILL BE LEADING A
                >GROUP IN ROMANIA
                >
                > THE AMPHITHEATRE THERE HAS SUCH A DRAMATIC SETTING!!!!
                > AND THE PARTIES ARE GOOD TOO!!!!
                >
                > REMEMBER DEB JACKSON WHO SANG AT THE FESTIVAL ONE YEAR - SHE IS
                > GOING TO PERFORM IN PIESTANY AT OUR ANNUAL GALA PARTY ON JULY 28 IN
                > THE HISTORIC KURSALON IN THE HEART OF PIESTANY.
                >
                > IT WILL BE A CONCERT - DANCE PARTY AND DEB WILL PERFORM ALONG
                > WITH INTERNATIONAL SINGING STAR JOZEF IVASKA - THEY WILL DO SOME
                > DUETS - SHOULD BE FUN!
                >
                > IF ANYONE WILL BE IN THE PIESTANY AREA THEN AND WANTS TO JOIN US
                > - E MAIL ME FOR MORE INFO
                >
                > helene
                > helenezx@...

                > Slovakia phone card Slovakia call Bratislava
                > slovakia Hotel slovakia Slovakia phone Slovakia

                >phone card
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia+call&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=chO1bkXch07FfvTG3Hly7Q>Slovakia
                >call
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Bratislava+slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=xXIK730FZxwfPZh6C_b8cg>Bratislava
                >slovakia
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hotel+slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=ZZfegUggrbhmbRi57TfUbw>Hotel
                >slovakia
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia+phone&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=D2lrJO4Qgv1x0Xnpgi7-DA>Slovakia
                >phone
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Slovakia&w1=Slovakia+phone+card&w2=Slovakia+call&w3=Bratislava+slovakia&w4=Hotel+slovakia&w5=Slovakia+phone&w6=Slovakia&c=6&s=123&.sig=OIcMxojXFaOt3ZQvYvdIvQ>Slovakia

                > *
                >

                >----------
              • kmzluky
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
                  Helene,
                  Will you be in Slovakia in August?
                  Steve

                • durisek
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
                    HI Helene...
                    Just back from SK 3 weeks.... Sorry to have missed your exhibit....Always a fun party.
                    Zuzka

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                      HI Steve - in and out - taking a group to romania on Aug 1 from Kosice and then return Aug 11 - then last group for Three Countries trip Aug 12 - 21 and then going to visit a friend in Budapest for a week. So maybe back at the end of the month.

                      Will you be in Slovakia then?

                      helene

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                        At 08:46 AM 5/31/2006, you wrote:
                        >My exhibit in Levoca has opened, take a look.
                        >http://www.snm.sk/?lang=svk&org=11§ion=podu&id=463

                        Translated text:
                        GOTHIC EMOTIONS
                        EMÓCIE GOTIKY,
                        Vladimir Linder

                        Is an exhibit of photographs from the church of
                        St. James in Levoca from photographer Vladimir
                        Linder. Concept of the exhibit is based in
                        capturing and illustration of emotions in Gothic
                        statues through the lens of author complimented
                        by quotations from that era and texts dedicated
                        to the given subject. More than 60 photographs
                        are on display mostly of portrait character,
                        which attract by remarkable views of gothic
                        statues from Church of St. James in Levo a.
                        Photographs are evoking immense survival of
                        emotionally strained moments. They have portrait
                        character and they are possibility for comparison
                        of common view of monumental works and detailed
                        not much visible and not very well known looks.
                        Comparison offers also time spectrum of early
                        gothic up to its late period coming from hands of
                        Master Pavol from Levoca. Subject matter is
                        abundant. Prevailing is Laying to the grave, Last
                        supper, Crucifixion, saints and woman saints in
                        moments of torture, ecstasy, prayers… Selection
                        of photographs was made in consideration of the
                        name of the whole exhibit: Gothic Emotions, and
                        it tried to pick up indication of
                        characterization of statue as part of
                        psychologization of individual statues,
                        progressed crystallization of portrait features
                        and using wide palette of gestures.
                        Text part of the exhibit is complementing
                        medieval texts as inseparable and important part
                        of medieval perception of work of art,
                        appreciation of beauty and connecting
                        spirituality with artistic expression. The goal
                        is presentation of abundant unique cultural
                        heritage-with eye of photographer and comparison
                        with literary works. The photographs are
                        complimented by copies of works of Master Pavol
                        from Levo a-plaster moulds from last supper-from
                        the main altar of the church of St. James in Levo
                        a. Interesting part of exhibition is so called
                        Three of knowledge on which there are statements
                        and quotations from works of medieval
                        authors. Component of exhibit is also computer
                        presentation of more than 200 photographs, that
                        were supplied by Vladimir Linder and thus makes
                        possible even more looks that were unable to be
                        installed. Component of this exhibit are also
                        whole looks at altars, so we can offer our
                        visitors possibility to view the complete works.
                        Exhibit will be open until August 11, 2006 in the
                        premises of the Old City Hall.
                      • Vladimir Linder

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                            Hi Helene,
                            Yes, we will be there from Aug. 2nd to the 15th. Will be at Liptovska
                            Teplica festival and what ever else we can find. Thought maybe we could
                            catch up to you.
                            Steve

                            Service.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                              HI STEVE - In Romania til Aug 10 - then Kosice and party in a tokaj wine cellar that night; Aug 12 and 13 we are going to Miscolc Hungary but will be back in Slovakia on the 14th for dinner and a wonderful folk performance in a village near Detva - you are welcome to join us - we will be staying in Banska Bystrica - does any of this work for you????

                              know you will enjoy the liptovska Teplicka Festival - take warm clothes for the evening performances.

                              helene

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
                                Hi Helene,
                                To bad we won't be able to connect. We will be leaving for Kosice and our
                                trip home about that time.
                                Thanks for the tip on the warm clothes. The nights do get cold.
                                When is your next publication coming out? I will have most of the correct
                                info by
                                the 21st of this month for the NJ festival. (our next meeting date)
                                Looking forward to the trip and the festivals.
                                Steve